Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WGN HD ?

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   richzilla

richzilla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:11 AM

Does anyone know if DTV will offer the national version of WGN in HD ?

With the Bulls games starting up I wanted to know if this is in the works

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:55 AM

Last word I had from a contact at WGN was that DirecTV and WGN America were in discussions but no agreement had been reached yet.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   rrrick8

rrrick8

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:35 PM

DIRECTV said they'll add it when the Cubs win the World Series.

So in other words. NEVER.

Seriously, what RAD said.
--------------------------------------------

MY SETUP

Vermilionweather.com

#4 OFFLINE   richzilla

richzilla

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:56 PM

Well hope they get it worked out during the NBA season..........I don't think I can out wait on the cubs winning the WS.... I may not live that long ;)

#5 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:20 PM

Well hope they get it worked out during the NBA season..........I don't think I can out wait on the cubs winning the WS.... I may not live that long ;)

Your children's children may not live that long. :D

#6 OFFLINE   ohpuckhead

ohpuckhead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:15 PM

Your children's children may not live that long. :D

How soon they forget their own pain........:nono:

#7 OFFLINE   wolfjc

wolfjc

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:51 AM

Does anyone know if DTV will offer the national version of WGN in HD ?

With the Bulls games starting up I wanted to know if this is in the works

Thanks

The WGN HD channel is not the WGN local which the folks in Chicago get and I don't think that you will get Bulls games on it.
I have Dish and we get WGN HD and it's called WGN America.
I think that it carried some Cubs games though.

#8 OFFLINE   irish316

irish316

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBrownsburg, IN

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:17 AM

The WGN HD channel is not the WGN local which the folks in Chicago get and I don't think that you will get Bulls games on it.
I have Dish and we get WGN HD and it's called WGN America.
I think that it carried some Cubs games though.

WGN America carries Bulls games (15 this year) http://www.wgnameric.../bulls_schedule . It also carries quite a few Cubs games and usually 1 maybe 2 games a week for the White Sox. It is definitely worth carrying.

#9 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:32 AM

How soon they forget their own pain........:nono:

While our pain was bad, it was nothing compared to that of the Cubs. The Sox have had plenty of positive playoff experiences since 1908. They, of course, all ended in misery until 2004, but at least we had them. The Cubs.....not so much.

You're right though. Things are very different since 2004. I am not suicidal this morning, so that's definitely a step in the right direction. :lol:

#10 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:26 AM

I checked with my contact over the weekend and they said talks are still going on with DirecTV but nothing yet. They said to make sure to let DirecTV know that you want WGN America HD added to the lineup either by e-mail or calling them.

#11 OFFLINE   dgordo

dgordo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:54 AM

The latest news that I have heard from my friend at tribune is that directv is waiting to see how many cub games will be shown next year before deciding to carry the channel.

#12 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:10 PM

Yeah I think that will be the smart thing to do is to wait it out and see how many Cubs games will be carried next year. The Cubs are due to be sold soon and with the sale may go the WGN Television broadcasting rights because the Cubs and WGN are owned by The Tribune Company. The Number of Cubs games on WGN has been greatly reduced in recent years and that number seems to be getting smaller and smaller every year. I think only 70 games were carried this year. The rest were on Comcast Sportsnet Chicago or WCIU Channel 26. We also have been seeing more and more Over The Air Baseball telecasts on MLB Extra Innings this past season. Maybe DirecTv could work out some kind of deal to carry every Cubs Feed on MLB Extra Innings next year in HD even from the over the air channel the Cubs will be on. I'd settle for that because the only thing i watch WGN for is the baseball now and occasionally i like to watch WGN News. Also the White Sox are on WGN so I think DirecTv carrying WGN HD would be reasonable since the Cubs are not the only team on WGN.

#13 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:07 PM

Yeah I think that will be the smart thing to do is to wait it out and see how many Cubs games will be carried next year. The Cubs are due to be sold soon and with the sale may go the WGN Television broadcasting rights because the Cubs and WGN are owned by The Tribune Company. The Number of Cubs games on WGN has been greatly reduced in recent years and that number seems to be getting smaller and smaller every year. I think only 70 games were carried this year. The rest were on Comcast Sportsnet Chicago or WCIU Channel 26. We also have been seeing more and more Over The Air Baseball telecasts on MLB Extra Innings this past season. Maybe DirecTv could work out some kind of deal to carry every Cubs Feed on MLB Extra Innings next year in HD even from the over the air channel the Cubs will be on. I'd settle for that because the only thing i watch WGN for is the baseball now and occasionally i like to watch WGN News. Also the White Sox are on WGN so I think DirecTv carrying WGN HD would be reasonable since the Cubs are not the only team on WGN.

how about getting Chicago OTA CH 26 HD in time for next year?

#14 OFFLINE   dgordo

dgordo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:14 PM

how about getting Chicago OTA CH 26 HD in time for next year?

WCIU was available in engineering mode a few months ago. I'm not sure what the current status is.

#15 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:47 PM

WCIU was available in engineering mode a few months ago. I'm not sure what the current status is.

How about CH 50 HD?

#16 OFFLINE   dgordo

dgordo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:54 PM

How about CH 50 HD?

I dont know anything about WPWR.

#17 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:45 PM

Maybe it was only to provide the few Cubs games in HD from WCIU, to MLB pkg subs?

#18 OFFLINE   dgordo

dgordo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:23 AM

Maybe it was only to provide the few Cubs games in HD from WCIU, to MLB pkg subs?

No idea. I saw screen shot of it in late July/early august but never heard anything else after that.

#19 OFFLINE   fords4ever

fords4ever

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

Are the Blackhawks on WGN HD?

#20 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

When WCIU had the game we got the feed from the other market only, not a Chicago feed for the game IIRC.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...