Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WGN HD ?

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#251 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:41 PM

Well since ownership of the Cubs includes 25% of CSN Chicago, I would imagine that would be the case.

If there is a big up take of csn games will that csn alt start to be used (the so far unused csn alt that is not no comcast Chicago land yet) not the csn + feed. and will there be 3 HD csn feeds at one time.
comcast Chicago land should be done with the analog crush by the end of year and may then CSN+ SD will stop needing to shut down cltv to show csn + on cable.

I think that that csn alt may of been needed if bulls and blackhawks stayed in a little longer.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#252 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:22 PM

some games are not on wgn america but on wgn 9

There are also some games that are put in WCIU-26.
If you are in the Chicago DMA, then obviously you would get those as well.
(except NOT in HD on D* or E* thru the dish, since neither carries WCIU-HD)

#253 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:24 PM

There are also some games that are put in WCIU-26.

wciu 26 games are wgn games that where moved to 26 so wgn 9 can show more CW crap.

#254 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:51 PM

no soup for you...and no more HD till a rocket lauch rises...that is the reason right?

#255 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:26 PM

no soup for you...and no more HD till a rocket lauch rises...that is the reason right?

If the cubs do get there own channel before the end of year (not likely) Direct tv may forced to pick it up in HD or lose a lot of cubs fans.

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 01 August 2009 - 08:31 AM.

#256 Guest_hunter65_*

Guest_hunter65_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:03 PM

Thanks everyone who replied to my previous question. The Yanks and Sox play the end of Aug on a Sat at 1:00 pm. Will the Fox blackout rule be subject to out of market viewers?

#257 OFFLINE   MLBurks

MLBurks

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:07 AM

Thanks everyone who replied to my previous question. The Yanks and Sox play the end of Aug on a Sat at 1:00 pm. Will the Fox blackout rule be subject to out of market viewers?

If it's not carried on FOX in your area, then NO MLB FOR YOU! All other games will be blacked out. Don't you just love FOX?

#258 Guest_hunter65_*

Guest_hunter65_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:56 AM

I hate that rule. People with EI should be exempt from it.

#259 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

I hate that rule. People with EI should be exempt from it.

Agree 1000% . I understand the Fox & ESPN's exclusive time-period contracts and they paid for that right but to me, the DTV out of mkt pkgs like EI, CI, ST, etc, should be exempt from network blackouts since these pkgs are advertised as paying for the service of receiving out of mkt games.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#260 OFFLINE   kycubsfan

kycubsfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

Hard to believe that yet another season is heading into the stretch drive and still no action from The Sports Leader on this issue.

#261 OFFLINE   paule123

paule123

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:45 PM

Hard to believe that yet another season is heading into the stretch drive and still no action from The Sports Leader on this issue.

Yep, agree, this is total f*cking bullsh!t that we don't get the WGN games in HD on MLBEI. No more excuses.

#262 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,198 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:22 AM

my local cable company adds wgn america hd on september 5. guess, who is this close to adding cable?

#263 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,220 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:32 AM

my local cable company adds wgn america hd on september 5. guess, who is this close to adding cable?

Just because of Cubs games?? :lol:

I'm a huge Yankee fan and would NEVER change providers for them, especially to cable. There are many other alternatives.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#264 OFFLINE   MLBurks

MLBurks

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:50 AM

I would never go back to cable ESPECIALLY over one channel.

#265 OFFLINE   mojo7877

mojo7877

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:50 PM

I don't think he said he would be going back to cable, just adding cable.

#266 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 613 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:02 PM

Directv is becomming a huge disappointment in adding national HD, including WGN. I guess the question to ask is when is John Malone leaving. The HD progress went to hell with his arrival.

#267 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:14 PM

I guess the question to ask is when is John Malone leaving.

When another company buys DirecTV.

#268 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 623 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:43 PM

The Tribune Company has entered into a "definitive agreement" to sell the Cubs to the Ricketts family. According to the Chicago Tribune story announcing the deal:

"WGN radio and television stations will retain long-term broadcast rights to the team under the deal, according to sources familiar with the transaction.

"As part of the sale, WGN Radio will remain as the radio play-by-play home of the Chicago Cubs, and we look forward to our continued partnership with the club for many years to come," said Tom Langmyer, vice president and general manager of WGN Radio."

These statements are much more specific about WGN radio's continuing relationship with the Cubs than they are about WGN-TV. The deal also includes a 25% ownership stake in Comcast Sports Net Chicago. It remains to be seen whether the number of games on WGN-TV will stabilize or continue to decline. I assume that DirecTV will be carrying WGN-America HD by the start of the 2010 season as long as it continues to broadcast roughly 100 Cubs and White Sox games.

#269 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:59 PM

The Tribune Company has entered into a "definitive agreement" to sell the Cubs to the Ricketts family. According to the Chicago Tribune story announcing the deal:

"WGN radio and television stations will retain long-term broadcast rights to the team under the deal, according to sources familiar with the transaction.

"As part of the sale, WGN Radio will remain as the radio play-by-play home of the Chicago Cubs, and we look forward to our continued partnership with the club for many years to come," said Tom Langmyer, vice president and general manager of WGN Radio."

These statements are much more specific about WGN radio's continuing relationship with the Cubs than they are about WGN-TV. The deal also includes a 25% ownership stake in Comcast Sports Net Chicago. It remains to be seen whether the number of games on WGN-TV will stabilize or continue to decline. I assume that DirecTV will be carrying WGN-America HD by the start of the 2010 season as long as it continues to broadcast roughly 100 Cubs and White Sox games.

Will they show the wciu only games on csn?

make all games wgn / espn/ csn only with no more wciu games?

WGN-America and wgn 9 still has the bulls and blackhawks as well.

I hope we get wciu 26 HD soon but I can get that OTA as well.

#270 OFFLINE   dgordo

dgordo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

I heard a number once that was how much WCIU paid the cubs to televise a game. If that number was correct and they continue to offer a comparable amount, I believe that WCIU will continue to show games.

#271 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

I heard a number once that was how much WCIU paid the cubs to televise a game. If that number was correct and they continue to offer a comparable amount, I believe that WCIU will continue to show games.

but will there be a push to show more on MLB EI and wgn america.

#272 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,200 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:25 AM

Dish has had WGN HD since last year. What's wrong with Directv?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#273 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:14 AM

Even Comcast here has WGN HD now.
DirecTV customer since 1994
DirecTV H23-600 0x462c
DirecTV HR20-100 (qty 4) 0x62c
DirecTV HR20-700 (qty 5) 0x62c
TiVo Series 3 Comcast

#274 OFFLINE   thestaton

thestaton

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:25 PM

I don't think he said he would be going back to cable, just adding cable.

I wouldn't go back to cable over 15 channels, even if we did lose 15 more, D* would still have 75 more HD channels than pathetic TWC.

#275 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:00 AM

Take this for what it's worth, since csr's haven't been reliable in the past for information, but a csr from the North Florida call center told me yesterday that WGN (among 5 other networks including BBC America) was scheduled to go HD before the end of the year. And no, the Travel channel wasn't one of them. One was some kind of new terror channel. I'll believe it when I see it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...