Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WGN HD ?

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   paule123

paule123

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:45 PM

Hard to believe that yet another season is heading into the stretch drive and still no action from The Sports Leader on this issue.

Yep, agree, this is total f*cking bullsh!t that we don't get the WGN games in HD on MLBEI. No more excuses.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:22 AM

my local cable company adds wgn america hd on september 5. guess, who is this close to adding cable?

#263 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:32 AM

my local cable company adds wgn america hd on september 5. guess, who is this close to adding cable?

Just because of Cubs games?? :lol:

I'm a huge Yankee fan and would NEVER change providers for them, especially to cable. There are many other alternatives.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#264 OFFLINE   MLBurks

MLBurks

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:50 AM

I would never go back to cable ESPECIALLY over one channel.

#265 OFFLINE   mojo7877

mojo7877

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:50 PM

I don't think he said he would be going back to cable, just adding cable.

#266 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 603 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:02 PM

Directv is becomming a huge disappointment in adding national HD, including WGN. I guess the question to ask is when is John Malone leaving. The HD progress went to hell with his arrival.

#267 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:14 PM

I guess the question to ask is when is John Malone leaving.

When another company buys DirecTV.

#268 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:43 PM

The Tribune Company has entered into a "definitive agreement" to sell the Cubs to the Ricketts family. According to the Chicago Tribune story announcing the deal:

"WGN radio and television stations will retain long-term broadcast rights to the team under the deal, according to sources familiar with the transaction.

"As part of the sale, WGN Radio will remain as the radio play-by-play home of the Chicago Cubs, and we look forward to our continued partnership with the club for many years to come," said Tom Langmyer, vice president and general manager of WGN Radio."

These statements are much more specific about WGN radio's continuing relationship with the Cubs than they are about WGN-TV. The deal also includes a 25% ownership stake in Comcast Sports Net Chicago. It remains to be seen whether the number of games on WGN-TV will stabilize or continue to decline. I assume that DirecTV will be carrying WGN-America HD by the start of the 2010 season as long as it continues to broadcast roughly 100 Cubs and White Sox games.

#269 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:59 PM

The Tribune Company has entered into a "definitive agreement" to sell the Cubs to the Ricketts family. According to the Chicago Tribune story announcing the deal:

"WGN radio and television stations will retain long-term broadcast rights to the team under the deal, according to sources familiar with the transaction.

"As part of the sale, WGN Radio will remain as the radio play-by-play home of the Chicago Cubs, and we look forward to our continued partnership with the club for many years to come," said Tom Langmyer, vice president and general manager of WGN Radio."

These statements are much more specific about WGN radio's continuing relationship with the Cubs than they are about WGN-TV. The deal also includes a 25% ownership stake in Comcast Sports Net Chicago. It remains to be seen whether the number of games on WGN-TV will stabilize or continue to decline. I assume that DirecTV will be carrying WGN-America HD by the start of the 2010 season as long as it continues to broadcast roughly 100 Cubs and White Sox games.

Will they show the wciu only games on csn?

make all games wgn / espn/ csn only with no more wciu games?

WGN-America and wgn 9 still has the bulls and blackhawks as well.

I hope we get wciu 26 HD soon but I can get that OTA as well.

#270 OFFLINE   dgordo

dgordo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

I heard a number once that was how much WCIU paid the cubs to televise a game. If that number was correct and they continue to offer a comparable amount, I believe that WCIU will continue to show games.

#271 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

I heard a number once that was how much WCIU paid the cubs to televise a game. If that number was correct and they continue to offer a comparable amount, I believe that WCIU will continue to show games.

but will there be a push to show more on MLB EI and wgn america.

#272 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:25 AM

Dish has had WGN HD since last year. What's wrong with Directv?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#273 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:14 AM

Even Comcast here has WGN HD now.
DirecTV customer since 1994
DirecTV H23-600 0x462c
DirecTV HR20-100 (qty 4) 0x62c
DirecTV HR20-700 (qty 5) 0x62c
TiVo Series 3 Comcast

#274 OFFLINE   thestaton

thestaton

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:25 PM

I don't think he said he would be going back to cable, just adding cable.

I wouldn't go back to cable over 15 channels, even if we did lose 15 more, D* would still have 75 more HD channels than pathetic TWC.

#275 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:00 AM

Take this for what it's worth, since csr's haven't been reliable in the past for information, but a csr from the North Florida call center told me yesterday that WGN (among 5 other networks including BBC America) was scheduled to go HD before the end of the year. And no, the Travel channel wasn't one of them. One was some kind of new terror channel. I'll believe it when I see it.

#276 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:14 AM

Take this for what it's worth, since csr's haven't been reliable in the past for information, but a csr from the North Florida call center told me yesterday that WGN (among 5 other networks including BBC America) was scheduled to go HD before the end of the year. And no, the Travel channel wasn't one of them. One was some kind of new terror channel. I'll believe it when I see it.

Chiller hd, perhaps?

#277 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:48 AM

Who knows. If D12 does launch OK once NFL bandwidth requirements are gone they might fire up some new channels assuming that D12 will be fully operational in early 2010?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#278 OFFLINE   Attitude2000

Attitude2000

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:43 AM

Chiller hd, perhaps?

That'd be my first guess, too. I also belive there's a potential for We, amc, Lifetime, G4, and E!. Those are the channels I know of with HD feeds.
DirecTV HR22-100
Sony KDL-32BX320 TV

#279 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:59 AM

Unfortunately...Chiller is not broadcasting HD and according to NBC/Universal all plans to do so are on indefinite hold.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#280 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:12 AM

That'd be my first guess, too. I also belive there's a potential for We, amc, Lifetime, G4, and E!. Those are the channels I know of with HD feeds.

All of these channels are in HD on U-verse.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

spam firewall