Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WGN HD ?

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

All of these channels are in HD on U-verse.

Not quite. U-verse doesn't have AMC or WE yet. In addition to G4, E! and Lifetime in HD that you mentioned, they have ESPNU, WGN, Outdoor, QVC, Shorts, Style, Travel, Versus, Wealth and dozens of HBO and Max. The don't have Cartoon Network, C&I, Fuel, NBA, Tennis or Bio in HD.

HERE's a really good, up-to-date list.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   bookwalk

bookwalk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

Take this for what it's worth, since csr's haven't been reliable in the past for information, but a csr from the North Florida call center told me yesterday that WGN (among 5 other networks including BBC America) was scheduled to go HD before the end of the year. And no, the Travel channel wasn't one of them. One was some kind of new terror channel. I'll believe it when I see it.

I was told the same thing by a CSR a few weeks ago--it was the FEAR channel they mentioned. No mention of Lifetime, but, I think, Hallmark Movie Channel. Same here--believe it when we see it.
Pat

:hi:

#283 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

There have been quite a few posts about this but as I recall CSR's are saying the following channels are next in line to go HD: MSNBC, WGN, Fear Net, CSN Bay Area and Calfornia, ESPNU, and I think a one other RSN.

I wouldn't hold my breath for E! and G4 though, remember those are both Comcast owned channels, we only need to see the fight with Versus right now to know where that stands.

#284 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:26 PM

i'm enjoying travel hd, amc hd, espnu hd and wgn hd. its called cable. i added it about a week ago and if directv doesn't straighten up their act soon, its bye bye dish.

#285 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:41 PM

i'm enjoying travel hd, amc hd, espnu hd and wgn hd. its called cable. i added it about a week ago and if directv doesn't straighten up their act soon, its bye bye dish.

I hear ya. But you're lucky to have a decent HD line up on cable. In my area, cable only has a fraction of the HD that D* does (that's the major reason I have D*). And what little HD cable does have is nearly unwatchable PQ-wise. We'll have Uverse soon. If D* can't get it's act together by then, I'm gone too.

#286 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 603 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

http://www.tvpredict...m/dhd091009.htm

#287 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:56 PM

http://www.tvpredict...m/dhd091009.htm

Shocking, Swanni bashing Directv. :rolleyes: I feel sorry for people who take him as a "real" writer.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#288 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

Shocking, Swanni bashing Directv. :rolleyes: I feel sorry for people who take him as a "real" writer.

He gets bashed around here a lot himself, probably because most of his info comes from this board. But everything he said is true.

#289 OFFLINE   Attitude2000

Attitude2000

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:14 AM

Not quite. U-verse doesn't have AMC or WE yet. In addition to G4, E! and Lifetime in HD that you mentioned, they have ESPNU, WGN, Outdoor, QVC, Shorts, Style, Travel, Versus, Wealth and dozens of HBO and Max. The don't have Cartoon Network, C&I, Fuel, NBA, Tennis or Bio in HD.

HERE's a really good, up-to-date list.

Cartoon Network in HD is a waste of bandwidth. In addition to Turner's stretching, I don't think anything is actually in HD.
DirecTV HR22-100
Sony KDL-32BX320 TV

#290 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:41 AM

Clone Wars looks great in HD. And once you've seen Cartman in HD, you'll never look at HD the same again :lol:

Anyway, in spite of the rarity of real HD content, many in my family would miss Cartoon Network HD if I got U-verse tomorrow, so hope they get it soon. I personally consider most of the others in my list a waste of bandwidth. AMC and Travel are the one's I'd most like to see.

#291 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

Directv come on!!!! I check everyday for this channel

Why would you waste your time that way... this is not going to happen until the new satellite goes up.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#292 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:24 PM

I know, but when it goes up I want to know right then

At least put the checking on hold until D12 is in orbit. I promise you won't miss the channel's launch if you do that.

#293 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:59 AM

I hear ya. But you're lucky to have a decent HD line up on cable. In my area, cable only has a fraction of the HD that D* does (that's the major reason I have D*). And what little HD cable does have is nearly unwatchable PQ-wise. We'll have Uverse soon. If D* can't get it's act together by then, I'm gone too.

they have added quite a bit of hd this year and are suppose to hit 100 national hd channels by the end of the year. they have about 35 to 40 more to add to reach that number.

between what they add by the end of 2009 and when directv 12 is launched, followed by what they add....will determine if i keep both or jettison one in favor of the other. if i didn't love sports, i would have already dumped directv, especially since i am free of contract obligation.

#294 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:49 AM

they cant be at full capacity

Oh, they can't? Why is that?

#295 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

I know, but when it goes up I want to know right then

You'll probably know faster by checking this forum every day than you will by checking on your TV every day. Even if you happen to try to change channels at the exact instant WGN-HD goes live, by the time you press 3, 0, 7, enter...there will already be 12 threads here about it. :D
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#296 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

You'll probably know faster by checking this forum every day than you will by checking on your TV every day. Even if you happen to try to change channels at the exact instant WGN-HD goes live, by the time you press 3, 0, 7, enter...there will already be 12 threads here about it. :D

Just 12?:lol:
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#297 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

cause they keep adding locals, dont matter what sat they put them on there still adding them

Locals go on spot beams that cover just that local area, doesn't do any good for a national channel.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#298 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

cause they keep adding locals, dont matter what sat they put them on there still adding them

Locals use spot beam bandwidth, which is totally separate from the CONUS bandwidth that national channels use.

#299 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,533 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:14 PM

yes spot beam for city locals, but doesn't that still use bandwidth from the sat?

Spotbeams may share frequencies with other spotbeams but never with CONUS. Don't try to confuse satellite bandwidth with Internet bandwidth. They aren't much alike.

Jeremy W is not feeding you disinformation. If you need specifics, check out Sixto's frequent bandwidth reports in this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...978#post2222978

DIRECTV is running very close to the limit on their CONUS bandwidth on Sundays and they seem to have learned their lesson about shutting down full-time channels for Sunday Ticket a couple of years ago.

#300 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:23 PM

With hopefully the successful Launch of D12 coming up any talk WGN HD might be coming along, especially by April 1?

spam firewall