Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WGN HD ?

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:25 AM

Are the Blackhawks on WGN HD?

Some of their games will be shown locally in the Chicago DMA on WGN-DT, but not the WGN America feed.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   kycubsfan

kycubsfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

Still waiting.

I say again, it's insane that Dish has this and we don't.

#23 ONLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:14 PM

Still waiting.

I say again, it's insane that Dish has this and we don't.

Yeah if Directv doesn't have WGN HD by next baseball season I'm going to be ticked off. No excuses anymore Directv.

#24 OFFLINE   Ice Runner

Ice Runner

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

I also wouldn't mind if they made WGN available on a lower tier.
HR22-100

#25 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:02 PM

Maybe DirecTv could work out some kind of deal to carry every Cubs Feed on MLB Extra Innings next year in HD even from the over the air channel the Cubs will be on.

They will need to get WCIU 26 hd for that and will have to give that feed to people in Chicago area for free as well.

#26 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:09 PM

I also wouldn't mind if they made WGN available on a lower tier.

It is on the old grandfathered Total Choice Package a few years ago.
my setup here

#27 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:03 AM

It is on the old grandfathered Total Choice Package a few years ago.

He's probably a new sub that could NOT get TC when he signed up. Right now, the ONLY way to get WGN on D* now is to get Choice+, which is equivalent to TC+ (also grandfathered) & more expensive than EITHER Choice or TC.

#28 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 578 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:54 AM

I was reading a website linked to a post about Canadian TV and guess what WGN HD is available on both Bell and StarChoice Canadian sat systems .... just an interesting note ....91 days or so to opening day .... not that there is any correlation between these two points that I would care about ....

#29 OFFLINE   Ice Runner

Ice Runner

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:14 AM

He's probably a new sub that could NOT get TC when he signed up. Right now, the ONLY way to get WGN on D* now is to get Choice+, which is equivalent to TC+ (also grandfathered) & more expensive than EITHER Choice or TC.

Yes. I switch to DirecTV in April.
HR22-100

#30 OFFLINE   kycubsfan

kycubsfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:44 AM

91 days or so to opening day ....

Assuming they are indeed waiting for a count of WGN Cubs games for '09 before committing, that information should be forthcoming within the next few weeks.

I fully understand that there's little else of value on WGN besides the baseball. If nothing else, they should work a deal that would allow the WGN-HD feeds to be used on MLBEI. DirecTV's claim as the HD/sports leader rings somewhat hollow for me with 70 Cubs games a year languishing in downrezzed SD hell.

#31 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:07 PM

Assuming they are indeed waiting for a count of WGN Cubs games for '09 before committing, that information should be forthcoming within the next few weeks.

I fully understand that there's little else of value on WGN besides the baseball. If nothing else, they should work a deal that would allow the WGN-HD feeds to be used on MLBEI. DirecTV's claim as the HD/sports leader rings somewhat hollow for me with 70 Cubs games a year languishing in downrezzed SD hell.

They also used to carry a lot more of Bulls Basketball, but that was back when da Bulls had MJ, Scottie, etc. Now they only carry about 18 games, about half of what they used to carry.
my setup here

#32 ONLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:51 PM

I know most here are Cubs fans (myself included) but WGN HD America is just not Cubs games it's a pretty good amount of White Sox games as well. Along with I think a few of the Bulls.

#33 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,141 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:52 PM

but not all the bulls and blackhawk games that are on the local wgn are carried by wgn america. i believe its different for the cubs and white sox!

#34 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:39 PM

I have a friend who lives in Winnipeg Canada. And I can confirm that up there not only do they have WGN America in HD on there cable system they also receive The Chicago Version of WGN in HD up there. They get to see the 5 p.m. broadcast of WGN News that is supposed to be shown to Chicago only. Now here in America Why can't we receive those channels in HD? Why are there rules so different? Also they can receive distant networks. I know this because my friend receives Both Distant Networks of ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC from Minneapolis and Seattle.

#35 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,370 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

No excuses anymore Directv.

Being rather low on available bandwidth is a pretty good excuse.

#36 OFFLINE   Pepster

Pepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:51 PM

I have a friend who lives in Winnipeg Canada. And I can confirm that up there not only do they have WGN America in HD on there cable system they also receive The Chicago Version of WGN in HD up there. They get to see the 5 p.m. broadcast of WGN News that is supposed to be shown to Chicago only. Now here in America Why can't we receive those channels in HD? Why are there rules so different? Also they can receive distant networks. I know this because my friend receives Both Distant Networks of ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC from Minneapolis and Seattle.

I live in N.Y.C. & I can see the Chicago news on WGN every day. The difference between the national version of stations such as WGN AND TBS (WTBS to the people in Atlanta) & local versions of those same stations isn't the news. The local versions are required to carry a certain amount of other local community related programming not aired on the national level.

#37 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 990 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:42 PM

I live in N.Y.C. & I can see the Chicago news on WGN every day. The difference between the national version of stations such as WGN AND TBS (WTBS to the people in Atlanta) & local versions of those same stations isn't the news. The local versions are required to carry a certain amount of other local community related programming not aired on the national level.

I don't think all of WGN's newscasts are available nationally.

#38 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

I live in N.Y.C. & I can see the Chicago news on WGN every day. The difference between the national version of stations such as WGN AND TBS (WTBS to the people in Atlanta) & local versions of those same stations isn't the news.

Your info on both stations is incorrect...

TBS is NO longer an OTA station in ANY form - it is strictly a national cable channel, JUST like TNT, FX, etc. The "local" version of TBS is NO longer WTBS, but is now called WPCH, "Peachtree TV" & is NOT a superstation any longer - EXCEPT for being shown on Canadian cable & satellite systems, who ARE allowed to show this station. It is not on ANY cable systems outside the Atlanta DMA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPCH-TV

As far as WGN, the "america" feed that YOU get in NYC does NOT show their local morning news that runs 5-9AM CST, NOR do you see their 5:30PM CST early evening news.
The local version also runs CW prog, which the america feed does NOT at all. (WPIX-11 already carries this & would not allow another CW affiliate on your cable system)
The america feed does NOT always show the same sports that the local feed does. (eg: Blackhawks games on WGN local are not shown on the america feed)
Also, many of the syndicated prog on the local feed (such as Maury, Regis & Kelly, etc.) is replaced with other syndicated prog that is cleared for national cable distribution, OR the prog is shown at different/later times on the america feed. (eg: Steve Wilkos is shown late night on the america feed, while it's shown in the afternoon on the local feed)

The WGN local feed does NOT clear their prog for national distribution, since it was NOT intended to be distributed OUTSIDE the Chicago DMA in the US. But just like WPCH, it IS allowed to be distributed in Canada, due to differing rules that Canadian distributors CAN redistribute US OTA stations, & WGN America does NOT meet that criteria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGN-TV

And BTW, I get BOTH versions of WGN, so I very much know the prog differences between them... ;) :D

Edited by dishrich, 01 January 2009 - 01:25 PM.

#39 OFFLINE   kycubsfan

kycubsfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

Being rather low on available bandwidth is a pretty good excuse.

It's a poor allocation of bandwidth to consign so many major league games to the terrible resolution we see on 307. It's bad even by SD standards.

#40 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

I am thinking the Cubs and for that matter the White Sox will soon quit having games on WGN. I think they will be headed to Comcast Sportsnet Chicago exclusively in the coming years and maybe having the 25 or so games a season locally on WCIU Channel 26 "The U" The reason I say this is because The Atlanta Braves moved their games off of TBS Superstation last year. I think that will be the direction the Cubs and White Sox soon will take because local teams want you to watch their feed and not a distant superstation. Baseball wants you to pay the premium price for their package of "All" the games who still have blackouts.:nono:

spam firewall