Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WGN HD ?

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

Not to mention Tribune may sell the Cubs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Ice Runner

Ice Runner

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:48 PM

There's no doubt. Tribune WILL sell the Cubs.
HR22-100

#43 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

Does anyone know if DTV will offer the national version of WGN in HD ?

With the Bulls games starting up I wanted to know if this is in the works

Thanks

You're arn't missing a thing. HDlite!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#44 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

Being rather low on available bandwidth is a pretty good excuse.

Low on bandwidth? How and why do you think they add all of those PPV's a couple of months back?

#45 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:07 AM

I checked with my contact at WGN if there's been any progress with DirecTV adding WGN America HD and the response was "No commitment from them - yet".

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#46 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

I checked with my contact at WGN if there's been any progress with DirecTV adding WGN America HD and the response was "No commitment from them - yet".

Thanks for the update RAD. Hopefully it gets done but Directv doesn't seem too eager to add any station right now unless they own it (MLB Network)

#47 OFFLINE   dgordo

dgordo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:12 PM

I am thinking the Cubs and for that matter the White Sox will soon quit having games on WGN. I think they will be headed to Comcast Sportsnet Chicago exclusively in the coming years and maybe having the 25 or so games a season locally on WCIU Channel 26 "The U" The reason I say this is because The Atlanta Braves moved their games off of TBS Superstation last year. I think that will be the direction the Cubs and White Sox soon will take because local teams want you to watch their feed and not a distant superstation. Baseball wants you to pay the premium price for their package of "All" the games who still have blackouts.:nono:

I've been saying this for at least a year and a half on here and I was told I was wrong. Glad to see someone else understands that the cubs will have no incentive to keep games on a tribune station under new ownership.

#48 OFFLINE   kycubsfan

kycubsfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

I've been saying this for at least a year and a half on here and I was told I was wrong. Glad to see someone else understands that the cubs will have no incentive to keep games on a tribune station under new ownership.

The Cubs see a great incentive in keeping games available nationally. Whether the current arrangement will survive the ownership transition is another matter.

#49 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:55 PM

It's a poor allocation of bandwidth to consign so many major league games to the terrible resolution we see on 307. It's bad even by SD standards.

That channel is SDLite.:lol:
my setup here

#50 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:54 AM

At least the Honeymooners are in HD.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#51 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:39 PM

Cubs and White Sox announced yet how many games will be on WGN this year? I really, really, really, hope Directv has WGN America HD by April.

#52 OFFLINE   dgordo

dgordo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:21 PM

The Cubs have historically announced their TV schedule in late Feb or early March.

At this point it sounds like the only way this will show up on directv is if WGN lets its be carried for free.

#53 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

The Cubs have historically announced their TV schedule in late Feb or early March.

At this point it sounds like the only way this will show up on directv is if WGN lets its be carried for free.

Comcast Sports Chicago announced today they would have 80 Cubs game so if you take away approx. 12 games that will be on Fox and ESPN Sunday night that leaves about 70 Cubs games on WGN this year. Plus another 55 or so White Sox games. So about 125 total.

I REALLY hope Directv has WGN America HD by opening day! Course I've been saying that for 2 seasons now. :mad: Probably have to watch WGN SD again this year which the picture clarity is god awful even compared to other SD stations.

http://www.csnchicag...9962&feedID=661

#54 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:18 PM

Comcast Sports Chicago announced today they would have 80 Cubs game so if you take away approx. 12 games that will be on Fox and ESPN Sunday night that leaves about 70 Cubs games on WGN this year. Plus another 55 or so White Sox games. So about 125 total.

I REALLY hope Directv has WGN America HD by opening day! Course I've been saying that for 2 seasons now. :mad: Probably have to watch WGN SD again this year which the picture clarity is god awful even compared to other SD stations.

http://www.csnchicag...9962&feedID=661

How many WCIU games? How many MLB network games?

How about getting WCIU HD on direct tv!

#55 OFFLINE   Darkscream

Darkscream

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

How many WCIU games? How many MLB network games?

How about getting WCIU HD on direct tv!

There are going to be 25 games on WCIU.

No games on the MLB Network - they have No live broadcast rights for any games of any teams.

http://mystateline.c...text/?cid=49441

Edited by Darkscream, 16 February 2009 - 09:24 PM.
Added link.

#56 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

I wish the Cubs would move all of their games to Comcast Sportsnet Chicago. WGN was the way to watch them back in the day but WGN isn't even carried by DirecTv in HD yet and Dish Network has had this channel since last year. I also wish the Cubs would stop having games on WCIU. That throws every Cubs fan in the nation out of whack when the Cubs have a WCIU game. We can't see the game.

#57 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:06 PM

I wish the Cubs would move all of their games to Comcast Sportsnet Chicago. WGN was the way to watch them back in the day but WGN isn't even carried by DirecTv in HD yet and Dish Network has had this channel since last year. I also wish the Cubs would stop having games on WCIU. That throws every Cubs fan in the nation out of whack when the Cubs have a WCIU game. We can't see the game.

I'd be all for all the games on CSN Chicago. I think it might eventually happen. Wouldn't shock me if Cubs start-up their own network someday though either. Also be nice to get rid of the WCIU games for the non local area people.

#58 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,410 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

There are going to be 25 games on WCIU.

No games on the MLB Network - they have No live broadcast rights for any games of any teams.

http://mystateline.c...text/?cid=49441

MLB Network will broadcast 26 regular season games during the '09 season. ;) :)

http://mlb.mlb.com/network/about/

Scroll down that page to the Programming section.
They don't specify which games or when,but they do confirm 26 live regular season games.

Steve

#59 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:35 PM

The Person who said there would be no Live MLB Games on the MLB Network does not know what the hell they are talking about. MLB Network Will be carrying Live games this year. They will be having 1 Live game a week and they will also have Live Look In's Nightly from what I understand and there will be "Whip Arounds" of ALL The Games every single night.

#60 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:56 PM

The Cubs 2009 WGN-TV schedule, which includes games broadcast on WCIU, is out now:

http://www.wgntv.com...o_cubs_schedule

spam firewall