Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WGN HD ?

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   MLBurks

MLBurks

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:34 AM

A true Cubs fan KNOWS that they'll never win the WS,

Complete and utter bunk.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:11 AM

Complete and utter bunk.

Complete Utter Bunk -- So?

#83 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:47 PM

In Chicago we have WGN 9 HD so I would like to see other HD first.

You might have WGN HD in The Chicago DMA but for people outside the Chicago DMA we don't have it and we would like to have it because Cubs and White Sox Baseball will be starting very soon I hope we will have WGN HD BEFORE the Season Starts so we can enjoy the baseball games. I am really hoping DirecTv and WGN can work out a deal to carry this channel because Dish Network already has the channel. Come On DirecTv please add this channel before opening day arrives in April :shrug:

#84 OFFLINE   Pantherfan71

Pantherfan71

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:58 AM

Would love WGN in HD been watching the cubs sense 1984 when I was 13 yrs old

#85 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

I'm still surprised they let the Cubs and WS broadcast nationally while the rest of the league is blacked out outside of their demo. I know that TBS no longer shows Braves games (I THINK this was part of their deal when they picked up a GOTW and the playoffs). I think this gives the Cubs and WS an unfair advantage over the rest of the league in developing a fan base. No wonder everyone was obsessed with them last year going into the playoffs. I'm surprised the other 28 teams aren't sqwaking.

#86 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

I'm still surprised they let the Cubs and WS broadcast nationally while the rest of the league is blacked out outside of their demo.

I'd bet you'd be less surprised (and informed) if you had Dish's superstation pack. ;)

#87 OFFLINE   satjay

satjay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

I am thinking that WGN does not show a whole lot of HD programing outside of the sports. Is there a reason on why Direct has not added the HD feed for WGN??

#88 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

I'd bet you'd be less surprised (and informed) if you had Dish's superstation pack. ;)

I have no idea what you are talking about, since I have DirecTV. But my assumption is that the superstation pack includes some locals from other cities beside Chicago that includes perhaps NY and LA. That said, WGN has over the last year or so chosen to seperate WGN Chicago from WGN that is show in the rest of the country (WGN America), much like TBS is no longer WTBS 17 in Atlanta, therefore, WGN could easily NOT show Cubs/WS games in the rest of the country. To me, it would be as if any RSN had the ability to show their games nationally outside of EI.

In reality, I don't mind. I'm a baseball fan and I enjoy being able to watch more games without having to buy the package. But the way smaller market fans scream about the Yankees and all the revenue they generate from TV, you'd think they'd scream about the Chicago teams being able to generate revenue nationally.

#89 OFFLINE   kitzi

kitzi

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

I have no idea what you are talking about, since I have DirecTV. But my assumption is that the superstation pack includes some locals from other cities beside Chicago that includes perhaps NY and LA. That said, WGN has over the last year or so chosen to seperate WGN Chicago from WGN that is show in the rest of the country (WGN America), much like TBS is no longer WTBS 17 in Atlanta, therefore, WGN could easily NOT show Cubs/WS games in the rest of the country. To me, it would be as if any RSN had the ability to show their games nationally outside of EI.

In reality, I don't mind. I'm a baseball fan and I enjoy being able to watch more games without having to buy the package. But the way smaller market fans scream about the Yankees and all the revenue they generate from TV, you'd think they'd scream about the Chicago teams being able to generate revenue nationally.

All teams get a cut of superstation money...

#90 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

All teams get a cut of superstation money...

Correct, and all the teams shown on the various superstations are shown nationally--not just the Cubs and Sox.

#91 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:13 AM

You might have WGN HD in The Chicago DMA but for people outside the Chicago DMA we don't have it and we would like to have it because Cubs and White Sox Baseball will be starting very soon I hope we will have WGN HD BEFORE the Season Starts so we can enjoy the baseball games. I am really hoping DirecTv and WGN can work out a deal to carry this channel because Dish Network already has the channel. Come On DirecTv please add this channel before opening day arrives in April :shrug:

Well said. Unfortunately I don't think Directv realizes just how many Cubs fans, and even White Sox fans, there are outside of the Chicago DMA. There are a ton of out of market fans that grew up watching the Cubs in the afternoon on the Superstation.

#92 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:56 AM

Well said. Unfortunately I don't think Directv realizes just how many Cubs fans, and even White Sox fans, there are outside of the Chicago DMA. There are a ton of out of market fans that grew up watching the Cubs in the afternoon on the Superstation.

Maybe they know there is a big base and wants them to sign up for MLB-EI so they can get the occaisional HD feed from the other team when WGN has the game.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#93 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:02 AM

Maybe they know there is a big base and wants them to sign up for MLB-EI so they can get the occaisional HD feed from the other team when WGN has the game.

WGN America does not show all cubs games on WGN.

You can get WGN 9 HD in canada.

#94 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

You can get WGN 9 HD in canada.

Yes I'm well aware of that fact. Doesn't do me any good though, I don't live in Canada;)

#95 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

http://www.wgnameric.../cubs_schedule/

This schedule shows WGN American will carry about 65 Cubs regular season games in 2009. This site also has White Sox schedule on WGNA.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#96 OFFLINE   homebase

homebase

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

Pre-season Cubs vs White Sox tonight...in SD. Yay! It's in SD.... Blecchh.

Now that baseball season is here, it's truly frustrating to see more games in SD.

#97 OFFLINE   newsbreaker

newsbreaker

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

Yes, they do, and they always have.

#98 OFFLINE   DrFever

DrFever

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

I contacted Directv and received the following response:

"While we don't have plans to add WGN in HD at this time, we're working to bring you even more HD channels in the near future. In addition, I have forwarded your comments on to DIRECTV Management for review. Be assured that your feedback is important to us and we make changes based on viewer comments like yours."

I think it is time that people that want Directv to add WGN America HD need to make their desire known via email and telephone calls.

WGN SD is awful!

#99 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

I contacted Directv and received the following response:

"While we don't have plans to add WGN in HD at this time, we're working to bring you even more HD channels in the near future. In addition, I have forwarded your comments on to DIRECTV Management for review. Be assured that your feedback is important to us and we make changes based on viewer comments like yours."

I think it is time that people that want Directv to add WGN America HD need to make their desire known via email and telephone calls.

WGN SD is awful!

The response that I got was:

"Thanks for writing. While we don't have plans to add WGN America in HD at this time, we're working to bring you even more HD channels in the near future. Stay tuned to directv.com/hd to keep up with the latest HD news."

The date on that e-mail was 8/24/08.

And:

"While we don't have plans to add WGN Superstation in HD at this time, we're working to bring you even more HD channels in the near future. Stay tuned to directv.com/hd to keep up with the latest HD news.

Date on that e-mail was 5/24/08.

#100 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:27 PM

WGN SD is awful!

Get used to it. The bulk of WGN's content is SD originated on the HD channel.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...