Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WGN HD ?

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Mrmiami

Mrmiami

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:14 AM

The response that I got was:

"Thanks for writing. While we don't have plans to add WGN America in HD at this time, we're working to bring you even more HD channels in the near future. Stay tuned to directv.com/hd to keep up with the latest HD news."

The date on that e-mail was 8/24/08.

And:

"While we don't have plans to add WGN Superstation in HD at this time, we're working to bring you even more HD channels in the near future. Stay tuned to directv.com/hd to keep up with the latest HD news.

Date on that e-mail was 5/24/08.

Yep, nothing like the fast, traditional and outdated canned email response. Just goes to show just how "Important" we really are to D* they've even taken 2 seconds out of their time to read, copy and paste and hit the send button.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   Pepster

Pepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

I'm still surprised they let the Cubs and WS broadcast nationally while the rest of the league is blacked out outside of their demo. I know that TBS no longer shows Braves games (I THINK this was part of their deal when they picked up a GOTW and the playoffs). I think this gives the Cubs and WS an unfair advantage over the rest of the league in developing a fan base. No wonder everyone was obsessed with them last year going into the playoffs. I'm surprised the other 28 teams aren't sqwaking.

Since the Braves & Hawks for that matter have both disappeared in standard definition also on TBS, that doesn't bother me nearly as much as not having WGN in HD. That only means we're not seeing the Braves or Hawks at all, let alone in HD. I'm not a Cub or Whitesox fan, but if HD is available from the original source, I'd like to see it.

#103 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:52 AM

At least we will get the Cubs in HD alot on Comcast Sports North. By the way, I saw on the Cubs tv schedule that they are up to 8 games that will be shown this year on WCIU. None of those will be seen nationally unless you are out of the blackout area and have the MLB pack.

#104 OFFLINE   kycubsfan

kycubsfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:50 PM

65 Major League Baseball games that will all have an HD feed available will languish in putrid, downrezzed SD on THE SPORTS LEADER, DirecTV.

Ridiculous.

#105 OFFLINE   Larry

Larry

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

65 Major League Baseball games that will all have an HD feed available will languish in putrid, downrezzed SD on THE SPORTS LEADER, DirecTV.

Ridiculous.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Please DirecTV do something about this. There are Cubs fans everywhere and we would really like to see the WGN games in HD. As I am writing this, the Cubs/Brewers game is on...but it's only background audio because the video presentation is so poor.

#106 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,095 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

I voted with my $'s and cancelled MLB-EI for 2009. I'm not going to pay and then have a bunch of games shown in only SD on WGN America.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#107 OFFLINE   paule123

paule123

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:55 PM

I voted with my $'s and cancelled MLB-EI for 2009. I'm not going to pay and then have a bunch of games shown in only SD on WGN America.

The fact that the WGN games aren't carried in HD on MLBEI makes it much less compelling for me. I tried MLBEI half season last year and was really disappointed when I found out the WGN games were not available in HD. That's a big hole in the product.

There's tons of Chicagoans living in other markets (Florida, Arizona, Southern California, Vegas, etc.) You would think D* would realize this.

Edited by paule123, 07 March 2009 - 10:00 PM.

#108 OFFLINE   homebase

homebase

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:16 AM

The fact that the WGN games aren't carried in HD on MLBEI makes it much less compelling for me.

Exactly. We're not going for the package either due to this reason.

Could they just put the WGN HD feed on the MLB package channel that offers HD so the game would be in HD for those that purchase EI?

#109 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:08 PM

Could they just put the WGN HD feed on the MLB package channel that offers HD so the game would be in HD for those that purchase EI?

Only if they can reach a carriage agreement.

Are the games all carried on WGN America, or are many just WGN proper?

#110 OFFLINE   Pepster

Pepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

Only if they can reach a carriage agreement.

Are the games all carried on WGN America, or are many just WGN proper?

It looks like there's a mixture of things going on between splitting time between both Chicago teams and several networks WGN, WCIU, FOX, ESPN, ETC)

Chicago Cubs Broadcast Schedule
http://www.bleedcubb...v-broadcast-sch

Chicago Whitesox Broadcast Schedule
http://chicago.white...st.jsp?c_id=cws

#111 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:32 AM

I also canceled MLB EI this year. I figure for the games I can't see I'll just watch the MLB Network and they will be doing a lot of "break-in's" and showing the highlights right after they happen during the night. That will work for me since the teams I follow I can still watch their entire games.

It's now less than 3 weeks to Opening Day anything new on WGN America HD? I'm sure it won't happen at this point but I guess I can hold out a minimal amount of hope.

WGN SD is just god awful to watch!:mad:

#112 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:14 AM

With baseball just aroung the corner I sure with they would light WGN Amer in HD.

I emailed WGN and got this response:
"Unfortunately, DIRECTV has not yet informed us of their intentions."

#113 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

I have 3 televisions. I am seriously thinking about calling Dish Network and adding there service to one of my televisions simply for WGN America HD. They have had the channel since last baseball season and DirecTv has refused to come to an agreement with WGN to add the channel. DirecTv is letting Cubs baseball fans down just like the team always does to us fans.

#114 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:51 PM

I'm a Cubs fan but I'm watching the White Sox on WGN right now and the SD picture quality is just brutal.

Obviously we all want it in HD but can't they at least somehow make the SD quality better? It's going to suck watching 40% of the Cubs game on this crap.

I know it would be bad for the fans who are not in the Cubs "DMA" but at this point I wish all the Cubs games were off of WGN and on Comcast Sportsnet Chicago.

Edited by BigJ52, 28 March 2009 - 02:57 PM.

#115 OFFLINE   hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

I sent D* an email and they replied with the same old standard response... My service agrement ends this summer (June I think). This is just another thing that makes me want to switch to Dish. No WGN HD, No HD only packages, NFL ST keeps going way up. I would rather pay less and get the same channels I want in HD and I could definetly save by not having NFL ST. I'd rather go to a bar at some point to watch the games...
WGN is a big sports channel if you like baseball, the Bulls, White Sox or Cubs. It's a shame D* isn't getting this channel anytime soon. Negotiations shouldn't take this long, and according to WGN's email respnse D* isn't even communicating with WGN.
<Living Room HR34-700-Networked Wireless CCK*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Vizio E601i-a3 60" 1080p LED HDTV> <Master Bedroom HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL*HDMI-Olevia 37" LCD HDTV>
<Man Cave HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Samsung 46" LN46B530 1080p LCD HDTV> *Linksys Router <Backup Equipment HR22-100, H21-200, R15 and SD DIRECTiVo>
DIRECTV Since August 2002. Thanks for DLB & MRV DIRECTV!

NFL Sunday Ticket + Superfan since 2004 Go KC Chiefs!

#116 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:00 AM

I sent D* an email and they replied with the same old standard response... My service agrement ends this summer (June I think). This is just another thing that makes me want to switch to Dish. No WGN HD, No HD only packages, NFL ST keeps going way up. I would rather pay less and get the same channels I want in HD and I could definetly save by not having NFL ST. I'd rather go to a bar at some point to watch the games...
WGN is a big sports channel if you like baseball, the Bulls, White Sox or Cubs. It's a shame D* isn't getting this channel anytime soon. Negotiations shouldn't take this long, and according to WGN's email respnse D* isn't even communicating with WGN.

I sent them this e-mail and I'm sure I will get the canned response back but hopefully someone will actually at least read the e-mail and send it to the "right" person.

"If Directv proclaims itself to be the "Leader in Sports Programming" for Satellite television then why don't you have WGN America HD available to your customers? The "other" Satellite company offers this station by the way.

There are millions of sports fans that don't live in the Chicago "local" area who would love to be able to watch the various games in the best picture quality available.

With Baseball season starting in a week there will be over 90 games that are available in HD that we will not be able to see.

Not only do we not get the HD feed the Standard Definition feed is one of the worst on Directv. Can we at least get that picture quality better somehow?

Thanks for reading my request and please add WGN America HD to your program line-up as quickly as possible."

#117 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:11 AM

By the way here is the e-mail address for WGN America: wgnamerica@tribune.com

Wouldn't hurt to send them an e-mail as well.

#118 OFFLINE   nitty316

nitty316

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:36 AM

Cox Cable in Omaha, NE is adding E HD, and already has WGN HD. I left Cox to avoid stuff like this. I figured DIRECT would always be ahead of the game, I guess I was wrong. I still can't believe we don't have ESPNUHD, that really surprises me.

#119 OFFLINE   kycubsfan

kycubsfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:51 PM

The first WGN game is tonight. DirecTV has failed to deliver for yet another season.

Put simply, this is pathetic.

#120 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,095 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

Even if you have MLB-EI you're stuck with the SD version of the game, that's why I'm not a sub this year.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...