Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WGN HD ?

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

The first WGN game is tonight. DirecTV has failed to deliver for yet another season.

Put simply, this is pathetic.

Yep isn't that the truth but sadly I'm not surprised. :nono2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Larry

Larry

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

Add me to the list of those who think it's terrible that DirecTV cannot air WGN America in HD...or at least figure out a way to at least show baseball in HD. (MLBEI ???)

I've already renewed my EI for this season, but FIOS is coming to my area soon. I don't necessarily want to shoot myself in the foot, but after this baseball season I will definitely be re-evaluating my entire DirecTV package.

#123 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

Well I have already givin' Dish Network a thought so I could get WGN in HD. The only reason I am with DirecTv is for my sports, MLB EI and NFL ST. I'm thinking about hooking up one of my TV's up to Dish Network so I can get the Cubs in HD when they are on WGN. But I don't really want two Satellite Dish's on top of my roof.

#124 OFFLINE   oscar madison

oscar madison

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

Cubs v. Brewers on WGN SD yesterday was so bad, I moved over to Game Mix channel and just watched that. They had SD FSWisconsin broadcast, which was better. This really sucks!

#125 OFFLINE   dgordo

dgordo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:04 PM

I spoke with a friend at tribune co. the other day about this. He said that they(trib) have basically told directv they would bend over to get the channel on directv, even going so far as to allow WGN to be moved to any programming package directv wants, including the HD extra pack. It just seems that directv isn't interested for some reason.

#126 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

I spoke with a friend at tribune co. the other day about this. He said that they(trib) have basically told directv they would bend over to get the channel on directv, even going so far as to allow WGN to be moved to any programming package directv wants, including the HD extra pack. It just seems that directv isn't interested for some reason.

but they do have wgn 9 HD

#127 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,084 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:59 PM

but they do have wgn 9 HD

ONLY in the Chicago DMA for the local Chicago version of WGN. The do not have the national version, WGN America, in HD on DirecTV, Dish does though.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#128 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:54 PM

I would have to assume that the reason is cost. Do you have any idea how much adding WGN America HD would cost DirecTV? Are they at least haggling over pricing?

#129 OFFLINE   dgordo

dgordo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:11 PM

I would have to assume that the reason is cost. Do you have any idea how much adding WGN America HD would cost DirecTV? Are they at least haggling over pricing?

I've never asked about numbers but cost is the main holdup.

#130 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:19 PM

I've never asked about numbers but cost is the main holdup.

DirecTv should be committed to getting the Cubs/White Sox feeds on MLB Extra Innings. Atleast if they won't provide the Channel full time in HD, they should provide the HD Feed of the Cubs/White Sox games for Extra Innings Subscribers so we won't have to watch the game in that horrible Standard Definition picture.

#131 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:58 PM

It just seems that directv isn't interested for some reason.

Well, there you go. DirecTV just isn't interested in adding new HD.

#132 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:17 PM

DirecTv should be committed to getting the Cubs/White Sox feeds on MLB Extra Innings. Atleast if they won't provide the Channel full time in HD, they should provide the HD Feed of the Cubs/White Sox games for Extra Innings Subscribers so we won't have to watch the game in that horrible Standard Definition picture.

and get people in chicago CH 26 HD maybe even a game only feed. Is it true that is the only HD that Ch 26 even has the rest is just SD?

#133 OFFLINE   kycubsfan

kycubsfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

DirecTv should be committed to getting the Cubs/White Sox feeds on MLB Extra Innings.

This. Even though, admittedly, there is little else on the channel worth talking about.

They named themselves the "sports leader." Get it done.

#134 OFFLINE   venisenvy

venisenvy

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

Me being a Bulls fan(although the regular season is pretty much over), enjoying any baseball at all and with WWE Superstars starting the 16th, this channel is becoming more and more important to me.

#135 OFFLINE   hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:19 PM

Me being a Bulls fan(although the regular season is pretty much over), enjoying any baseball at all and with WWE Superstars starting the 16th, this channel is becoming more and more important to me.

Same here. Im a Bulls fan, I like watching Cubs games from Wrigley Field and Im a huge WWE fan (Just got back from WrestleMania 25 in Houston)and want the new Superstars show in HD this Thursday. Still looks like not anytime soon though. The longer D* doesn't have this and other HD channels the more closer Im moving towards switching to Dish.
<Living Room HR34-700-Networked Wireless CCK*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Vizio E601i-a3 60" 1080p LED HDTV> <Master Bedroom HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL*HDMI-Olevia 37" LCD HDTV>
<Man Cave HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Samsung 46" LN46B530 1080p LCD HDTV> *Linksys Router <Backup Equipment HR22-100, H21-200, R15 and SD DIRECTiVo>
DIRECTV Since August 2002. Thanks for DLB & MRV DIRECTV!

NFL Sunday Ticket + Superfan since 2004 Go KC Chiefs!

#136 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:09 PM

I'm tired of getting the same canned answer every time I email Directv and ask about this channel. If the crappy cable company in my area(Mediacom) can manage a deal with WGN why can't Directv?

Edited by tsduke, 13 April 2009 - 04:31 PM.

#137 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:25 PM

If the crappy cable company in my are(Mediacom) can manage a deal with WGN why can't Directv?

In case you hadn't noticed, DIRECTV isn't currently adding new conventional national HD channels -- just RSNs. They aren't picking on Chicago fans.

#138 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:27 PM

The crappy weather at Wrigley today just makes the awful SD picture look that much worse.:(

#139 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

In case you hadn't noticed, DIRECTV isn't currently adding new conventional national HD channels -- just RSNs. They aren't picking on Chicago fans.

I noticed but that doesn't make me want it less. This channel has been in HD for a year. Like others have said, the SD quality of this channel is worse than most others.

#140 OFFLINE   drded

drded

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

My guess is that WGN wants a pretty penny for carriage rights and Directv is not caving.

I, for one, do NOT want my bill going up so some Cubs fans can see their home games in HD. I hope Directv holds out for favorable rates as they have done with the others.

Dave

5LNB Slimline
HR34-700 & HR24-200
HDMI > HDMI Switch > Toshiba DLP
NetGear Ethernet Switcher

Protected By... spam firewall...And...