Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Operating in darkness....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   I'm Hooked

I'm Hooked

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:51 PM

For an old guy I'm fairly savvy on most techy stuff but now I'm interested in something that I thought would be easy (and it probably is) but am finding to be somewhat challenging.

Here's the deal: The light finally illuminated in my little brain telling me that I was wasting my money on cable tv so I swapped out the cable box with a good antenna and get awesome local channels which is all I'm interested in. Now being in my 60s I tend to snooze out early in the evening causing me to miss some shows that come on later. I have capability to record the "Off Air" via VCR but that's old technology; I'd like to use a DVR (with hard drive) but seems with all the info I can find on the subject that the DVRs only work with sat or cable. I understand that I would not be able to get the "guide" with an antenna connection (I don't now anyway). My main TV is a late model digital unit. Any info one way or another would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:04 PM

There are some OTA DVRs out (look for Tivo) or about to come out (Echostar's rumoured TR50) that will let you record digital OTA shows. But be little patient.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   I'm Hooked

I'm Hooked

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:48 PM

There are some OTA DVRs out (look for Tivo) or about to come out (Echostar's rumoured TR50) that will let you record digital OTA shows. But be little patient.

Thanks Scooper - I'd prefer to stay away from a subscription service (TiVo) - it's not that I'm terribly cheap but it took a little convincing with the wife for me to turn in the cable box (she's already going through withdrawals) so if I can accomplish this without adding a service I'll stick more to my original argument...
Any brand names for generic DVRs?

#4 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:11 PM

If you don't want a TiVo and you don't want to wait for the TR50 (or its equivalent), the next choice would be a PC-based DVR. Some TV cards come with DVR software that work online with TitanTV or other free services. Of course, you'll need a computer for that.

Then again, you could buy a TiVo and add the Lifetime (of the receiver) Service Plan, making it more expensive up front but then free for the duration.

PS, Another solution is the Pansat 9200 HD, the model I use for FTA. It also records OTA, but it's nowhere as nice as a TiVo. Add a FTA antenna, though, and it'll really be worth it.

#5 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,447 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

This may be the answer you are looking for: a Philips Hard Disk/DVD recorder with digital and analog tuner from Walmart for $289.54 For more info:
http://www.walmart.c...uct_id=10059151

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#6 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

I'd wait for the DTVpal DVR (formerly the Echostar TR-50).

No fees. Gets the guide data from PSIP OTA.

Analog RF, HDTV component and HDMI outputs.

Sweet.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

Protected By... spam firewall...And...