Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20-100 Sat Coaxial Cables NOT connected, Cannot watch Pre-Recorded Local Program?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tele-TV

Tele-TV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:31 PM

Hi guys. I took my HR20-100 to Sony Style to try out some Pre-Recorded Local programming on a XBR8, but I could not get the shows to play. One of them was Peter Pan HD, just recently shown on my local ABC HD. And the other show I tried was a Non HD show from my Local PBS.

1. Does this have to do with something with local broadcasting rules? Just curious. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:48 PM

You have to have a HR2x seeing the satellites to make it work. It has nothing to do with broadcasting rules.
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998
Slimline w/ SWM LNB---- (mounted on CommDeck) ----> SWM Power Inserter -----> CM4002IFD Diplexer
Winegard OTA Antenna ------------------> CM7777 OTA Amplifier ----------------> CM4002IFD Diplexer
CM4002IFD Diplexer ----> STS-4 splitter ----> HR20-700 - Vizio VO32L, HR20-700 - SDTV, HR21-200 (w/ AM21) - Vizio VX42L, HR21-200 - SDTV; CM4001IFD as splitting diplexer on all legs; All networked

#3 OFFLINE   MaxxFlash

MaxxFlash

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:24 PM

Hi guys. I took my HR20-100 to Sony Style to try out some Pre-Recorded Local programming on a XBR8, but I could not get the shows to play. One of them was Peter Pan HD, just recently shown on my local ABC HD. And the other show I tried was a Non HD show from my Local PBS.

1. Does this have to do with something with local broadcasting rules? Just curious. Thanks.

Curious, I took my unit over to a friends, had recently recorded the latest season of WEEDS, after it does the 0% Complete screen it will go to searching for Sats. Press and hold INFO till the SYS INFO & TEST scree comes up. After that you should be able to hit LIST and see your recorded content; which should play just fine. Well, mine did anyway. Good Luck!!

#4 OFFLINE   Supervolcano

Supervolcano

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:16 AM

You have to have a HR2x seeing the satellites to make it work. It has nothing to do with broadcasting rules.

Incorrect.
Don't need sat signal to watch recordings.
That was changed maybe 6 months ago or more.

But the access card cannot be expired.
Click Here to See my Equipment and SWM8 Configuration.
Click Here for My Theories on why we have no shouldn't have DLB yet.
Click Here to Review cbaker's "Long Term (Multiple CE) Bug List".

#5 OFFLINE   Supervolcano

Supervolcano

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:25 AM

What exactly happened?
Did your program list show up?
Were you able to select a program?
Was there a "Call Ext 7xx" message when you tried to play it?
If so, what was the exact 7xx extension number?
Were you able to play a recording from a normal directv channel?
Click Here to See my Equipment and SWM8 Configuration.
Click Here for My Theories on why we have no shouldn't have DLB yet.
Click Here to Review cbaker's "Long Term (Multiple CE) Bug List".

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,807 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:41 AM

Hadn't checked this in a while, so I unplugged my kitchen HR20-700 and removed the sat cables. Took about 5 minutes to restart upon power-up, due to SEARCHING FOR SAT. Once it came back, I was able to play shows from the PLAYLIST with no issues.

I'm running the latest CE, but I'd be very surprised if the NR wasn't the same in this regard. /steve
/steve

#7 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:17 AM

Hadn't checked this in a while, but I unplugged my kitchen HR20-700 and removed the sat cables. Took about 5 minutes to restart upon power-up, due to SEARCHING FOR SAT. Once it came back, I was able to play shows from the PLAYLIST with no issues.

I'm running the latest CE, but I'd be very surprised if the NR wasn't the same in this regard. /steve

tried this last night too, but accidentally :)
but end result was the same for me.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#8 OFFLINE   Tele-TV

Tele-TV

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:38 AM

Good morning guys. Thanks for your replies. I apologize for not putting all the info as i did not think about that last time. My PlayList did come up. I was able to select every type of programming, EXCEPT for a show that was recorded off one of my Locals. There was a message to call DirecTV to activate the receiver. I don't remember the extension number but there were the numbers like "55" in part of the message. So I Googled DirecTV customer service ext number 355, right now; and their installations dept phone # came up (1-888-355-7530). Oh and no, the access card is NOT expired. Thanks again.

#9 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,807 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:03 AM

I was able to select every type of programming, EXCEPT for a show that was recorded off one of my Locals. There was a message to call DirecTV to activate the receiver.

As Mr. Spock would say, "Fascinating, captain!"

Not sure... is the inability to play locals when not sat-connected a bug or a feature? /steve
/steve

#10 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,807 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:26 AM

By the way, were those SAT or OTA locals that wouldn't PLAY? TIA. /steve
/steve

#11 OFFLINE   Tele-TV

Tele-TV

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:07 PM

^^ Hey Steve. That's a good question. They were OTA locals. 7-1/7.1 KABC-DT Los Angeles; and 28-4/28.4, a sub-channel of my local PBS, KCET Los Angeles.

#12 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,807 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:40 PM

^^ Hey Steve. That's a good question. They were OTA locals. 7-1/7.1 KABC-DT Los Angeles; and 28-4/28.4, a sub-channel of my local PBS, KCET Los Angeles.

Interesting. So could be by design... but why? /steve
/steve

#13 OFFLINE   philslc

philslc

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:42 PM

Good morning guys. Thanks for your replies. I apologize for not putting all the info as i did not think about that last time. My PlayList did come up. I was able to select every type of programming, EXCEPT for a show that was recorded off one of my Locals. There was a message to call DirecTV to activate the receiver. I don't remember the extension number but there were the numbers like "55" in part of the message. So I Googled DirecTV customer service ext number 355, right now; and their installations dept phone # came up (1-888-355-7530). Oh and no, the access card is NOT expired. Thanks again.

I experienced this after last Friday's CE download. It took a while before my OTA locals would work. During this time, OTA recorded shows would not play and I could not record new shows. All the SAT recorded shows were fine. After a few hours, my OTA channels were back to normal and all the OTA recorded shows worked OK. :)

PhilB
HR20-100

#14 OFFLINE   machlis

machlis

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

This is probably a rhetorical question, but... given that DirecTV is so lame that they won't transfer recorded programs from an old DVR to a new one when you upgrade, and given that the DVRs are now leased (for most of us)... down the road when I eventually upgrade to a newer model DVR (from my HR20), is there any chance they would give me a couple of months to watch the ~50 hours of shows recorded on my HR20 before I have to return it? I'm guessing the answer is no, which would also be lame.

Just idle curiosity at this point...

#15 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,689 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:37 AM

...down the road when I eventually upgrade to a newer model DVR (from my HR20), is there any chance they would give me a couple of months to watch the ~50 hours of shows recorded on my HR20 before I have to return it?...

I'm pretty sure that would not be possible. But you can certainly plan your own transition so that you are not presented with that problem to start with. Plan ahead. Or, keep both units active until you have finished watching previous recordings.

Carl

#16 OFFLINE   Tele-TV

Tele-TV

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the replies.

#17 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:08 PM

Tgiven that DirecTV is so lame that they won't transfer recorded programs from an old DVR to a new one when you upgrade

I'm curious as to which providers are not "lame" -- i.e., do allow or provide the means of doing this.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#18 OFFLINE   machlis

machlis

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:18 PM

I never said there were any providers that do that (I don't think). I defined it as "lame" because it seems like an obvious service, that I would guess most customers would like to have and would appreciate, that wouldn't be -that- hard to do technically, but they don't do it.

On the other hand, I understand that having a bunch of shows recorded is no guarantee of anything, since a hard drive can die at any time and there's nothing you can do to prevent it short of RAID. It wouldn't be the end of the world to lose everything we have recorded (which in fact happened a few months ago due to a software update), but it would be nice if DirecTV (and other providers for that matter) had a service like this to transfer recorded shows when you upgrade equipment. But I guess they figure most people only upgrade every few years, so losing recorded shows once every few years isn't a big deal, and isn't worth the cost to them of providing the service.

#19 OFFLINE   Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

I would like to know if this is still the case? If I were to upgrade to a newer DVR box would I be able to watch all of the shows that are recorded on the old DVR if it is not hooked up to the sat? I have an HR20-100 currently. Wanting to upgrade to an HR34.

#20 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

My 2 HR20-100's have had NO service for well over 3+ months, & can still playback ALL pre-recorded shows just fine. Matter of fact, they actually run BETTER (faster) now, than when I was paying for (bloatware) service on them before I got rid of D* service.
BUT make SURE you disco them from the sat feed BEFORE you shut them off... ;) :D

#21 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 493 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

I'm curious as to which providers are not "lame" -- i.e., do allow or provide the means of doing this.

That would be Dish Network, in which USB external drives are used as "secondary" storage (unlike Directv where the external replaces the internal). These USB drives can basically be used on any DVR on the same account. You can, for example, move (not copy) any recordings you want to save to a USB external drive, swap the DVR for a new one, plug in the USB drive, then move your recordings into the new DVR. Or you can take the drive to another DVR in another room and do the same thing. You can also play recordings directly from the external drive without moving them to a receiver. It is also quite possible to have multiple USB drives (used one at a time) if your library gets too large for one drive. Although this is not a "backup" since only one copy ever exists of any given recording, it beats the heck out of what Directv offers, which is nothing at all.

Keith

Protected By... spam firewall...And...