Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NCAA Football : 2008 BCS Rankings

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:43 PM

Why does the Big East champion get an automatic bid into the big money bowls. There is no doubt that the Mountain West is a better football conference, and according to the Sagarin ratings, the MWC has three teams ranked ahead of any team in the Big East.
Until there is a playoff, such injustices will continue to expose the hypocrisies of College Football.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,559 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:35 PM

Why does the Big East champion get an automatic bid into the big money bowls. There is no doubt that the Mountain West is a better football conference, and according to the Sagarin ratings, the MWC has three teams ranked ahead of any team in the Big East.
Until there is a playoff, such injustices will continue to expose the hypocrisies of College Football.

To be fair, at the time the BCS was formed the ACC wasn't much better... Actually, at the time the BCS formed... the ACC had only Florida St as a real national power, and the Big East had Miami, Boston College and Virginia Tech. So arguably, the Big East was actually more of a football presence at the time than was the ACC.

But then change happened... and those three schools left the Big East for the ACC... and while the current strength of the ACC isn't reflective of it... that really left the Big East down on the football side of things in terms of power schools. Still, the ink was already dry on the BCS agreement and they were locked in.

All that said, I agree... some years those "small conferences" seem to have the same average strength as some of the bigger conferences if you really dig down and look objectively.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#78 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:36 PM

They are a founding BCS member. The 6 main BCS conferences all get preferentiual treatment. Even worse is the back door that Notre Dame gets.

Some of the small conferences do have stronger power ratings, but ther ehave een several cases where a small conference undefeated team beat their chest about how they were given poor treatment in rankings only to be crushed when they played a team from one of th etop conferences, which hurts all teh teams that come after them. Like I said, I expect Utah Alabama to be no different.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#79 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,559 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

Some of the small conferences do have stronger power ratings, but ther ehave een several cases where a small conference undefeated team beat their chest about how they were given poor treatment in rankings only to be crushed when they played a team from one of th etop conferences, which hurts all teh teams that come after them. Like I said, I expect Utah Alabama to be no different.

And yet... The last two years we were subjected to watching Ohio St in the title game get demolished (first by Florida, then last year by LSU)... and yet Ohio St is getting a better bowl this year at 11-2 than Boise St at 12-0...

So clearly the doing-poorly-in-a-bowl scenario isn't equally applied to the larger conferences as it is to the smaller ones... otherwise Ohio St would have been penalized this year and subjected to one of the lower tier bowls.

While I don't deny Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, and a few others look impressive this year... I haven't actually been able to see Utah this year, and only a couple of times Boise St. Meanwhile Notre Dame stunk it up just about every week with their national NBC contract.

I could even buy the flawed BCS system IF the voters applied all things equally. Unfortunately, lots of teams start out in the top 10 before they play a game and stay there as a result.

Even beyond that there is weirdness within the larger schools too... consider that Alabama got its early leapfrog into the top 10 by beating Clemson and Georgia who were pre-season top ten teams. But we saw how that played out the rest of the season... so IF we knew then what we know now, would Alabama have ever gotten to the #1 position in the first place?

And how does Ole Miss beating Florida not count as heavily as Oregon St beating USC does? I'm not a USC fan, but the discrepancy in the voting between Florida and USC is odd considering the rest of their schedule/record... seems like they are more closely matched than the voters voted.

I also have a hard time with Texas and Oklahoma being in a dead heat while Texas Tech is left several places behind. IF Texas and Oklahoma are #1/1A in a lot of people's minds then why isn't Texas Tech #2? They have a round-robin with each having defeated the other for their only loss... so whereever I ranked one team, I'd have to put the other 2 right there with them. So I don't understand the voting gap that leaves Texas Tech so far behind the other two.

There's just so much that isn't based upon on-the-field that ends up going into the voting... that I don't feel comfortable with the choices made at the end of the year. I'm in Raleigh, and I root for NC State... but I have a hard time justifying their going to a bowl game this year with a 6-6 record just like I have a hard time with Notre Dame doing the same.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#80 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:40 AM

I agree, teh preseason rankings are an issue. If you are not ranked top 10 or 15preseason, you practically can't get to a good game because you can never rise high enough in the polls. This applies to the elite teams as much as anyone. IT would be best to hold the polls until week 3 or so, then let the BCS start kicking in at around week 7.

Also, teh conferences having seperate divisions causes many problems. Think of the SEC East, with Tennessee, Florida and Georigia. All 3 of those schools think they should contend every year, but only one of them can even have a chance to play for the SEC championship, much less the NC. Same goes for the SEC West with Alabama, Auburn and LSU. THen look at the Big 12. Texas Oklahoma and Texas Tech all had to go to some wacky tiebreak to see who got to put the beat down on Missouri. I heard no one give Missouri a chance against any of thoise teams.

Then, how about the fact that some conferences have championships and some do not. Should Alabama be ranked lower than a team that did not play last week, simply because they had to play the numbe r1 or 2 team in teh country in the SEC championship. Conversely, the extra practice time and game time those teams get could really help them come bowl time against a team with no conference game.

Until the conferences have their best 2 teams play each other for their own Championship and all do it on an even playing field, it hardly seems like we can have a fair chance at a National Championship.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#81 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:52 AM

- kill the conf champ games.
- top 12 teams qualify for playoffs using bcs rankings.
- 1 thru 4 get a bye.

- week 1: 5 plays 12, 6 plays 11, 7 plays 10, 8 plays 9.
- week 2: 8 teams left: highest rank plays lowest rank, etc.
- week 3: 4 teams left: highest rank plays lowest rank, etc.
- week 4: 2 teams left play for championship.

- 1 thru 4 get bye so insentive to finish high.
- 12 teams so no one gets left out that has a legitimate argument.

#82 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,632 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:18 PM

From ESPN:
Utah's Attorney General is investigating the BCS for a "possible violation of federal antitrust laws".

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3814472

Steve

#83 OFFLINE   cweave02

cweave02

W4SKO

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

From ESPN:
Utah's Attorney General is investigating the BCS for a "possible violation of federal antitrust laws".

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3814472

I LOVE IT! After the NCAA badgered and decreed that W&M had to lose our feathers on our logo because it was "racist" (fifteen years after we had to quit being the Indians and became just "the Tribe"), the Utes get to keep theirs. It is time someone took care of these bullies.
HR21-100, Samsung HLT-5076S (HDMI)
HR21-100, Samsung LN-S4096
H20-700 (x2 in Virginia)

Go TRIBE!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...