Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will you be renewing Hot Pass for 2009?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you be renewing Hot Pass for 2009? (150 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be renewing Hot Pass for 2009?

1. Yes (36 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

2. No (114 votes [76.00%])

Percentage of vote: 76.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:49 PM

This poll is pretty simple.

I want to see how many people are fed up with what we're given every week on Hot Pass.

It's a simple Yes or No poll.

If you want to state why you voted Yes, or why you voted No, please do so in a response to the thread.

I for one will NOT be renewing Hot Pass because:

1. It's all about Junior.
2. The POOR censoring. It shouldn't be censored but if it must then you MUST do a good job of getting the mute/beep in the right place instead of muting out an entire conversation.
3. There was at least 1 issue with Hot Pass every race this year.
4. 3 drivers each week, no I'm not counting Junior, instead of 5 last year. [Last year wasn't all about Junior].
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cadet502

cadet502

FHNSAB

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:04 PM

I voted no, mostly due to the limited choice of drivers for most of the season. While I can almost understand having the 88 on every week, the weeks where there were 2 and 3 drivers from one team really chap my shorts. Last year they seemed to be much more careful to have at least one from each mfg., this year it did not seem to matter.

I'll get the middle of the road subscription to Trackpass, much more useful when you follow a driver not always in the top 10.

#3 OFFLINE   jselinger24

jselinger24

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:08 PM

Yes, I will renew.

I hate Junior being on every week, but Jeff Gordon is on 1/3rd of the races, which I can live with.

The super channel is great, because the crew chatter is in sync with the video.

I would share my complaints with DirecTV before cancelling, guys. They are open to all suggestions/ new ideas.

#4 OFFLINE   Juppers

Juppers

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:24 PM

I voted no.

Too many issues this year, especially with audio levels and censoring. I wanted hotpass to better follow my favorite drivers. Most of the time while important stuff is being said on the driver audio feeds on the network channel, they go to commercial or censor 3/4s of the conversation, making it a completely useless "feature".

The 88 having a channel nearly all season with no racing basis at all is a waste and an insult to every capable driver that has been doing well and being ignored this year.

They removed interactive features that were there last year, such as current running order.

I don't see how less drivers, less features, but more audio channels is improving the service from the year before. It seems more like a step backwards. Aside from going HD this season, it was a huge step backwards overall.

Also, it seems the featured drivers channels have less data this year also. I seem to remember more rpm, throttle/breaking, pit times, misc data on there last year.

#5 OFFLINE   Kdiddy

Kdiddy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:46 PM

A 'No' vote for me. The driver channels are worthless with censorship. I refuse to let someone decide for me what I can listen to when I'm paying expressly for that right. There is virtually no value add when all the details are censored. I've been watching the network channel for the last few months.

Driver choice was fine for me this year, though surprised the first place guy isn't on more during the chase. But no beef there for me.

There were technical glitches that happened during races, but with all the production and technical setup required for this to product happen, I was willing to let those slide for the reasonable price they charge for the package.

#6 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:48 PM

Not a big enough NASCAR fan to cause me to renew it for 2009. This year was better then last with the HD addition but I just didn't find myself using to justify the expense.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#7 OFFLINE   T_N_T

T_N_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

A 'No' vote for me. The driver channels are worthless with censorship. I refuse to let someone decide for me what I can listen to when I'm paying expressly for that right. There is virtually no value add when all the details are censored. I've been watching the network channel for the last few months.

Driver choice was fine for me this year, though surprised the first place guy isn't on more during the chase. But no beef there for me.

There were technical glitches that happened during races, but with all the production and technical setup required for this to product happen, I was willing to let those slide for the reasonable price they charge for the package.

I remember JR swearing a lot during the Daytona 500, but that's the only race I watched because of the Free preview. Did they clamp down on the vulgarity since then?

#8 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:50 PM

No for me it wasn't so HOT

JACK,

#9 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:51 PM

Nope!

I did not want it for this year either but due to some screw up, DirecTV failed to remove it from my account before the start of the season. Took a few phone calls to get the matter cleared up but they refudned my money and let me keep Hot Pass.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#10 OFFLINE   ilovehd

ilovehd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:54 PM

I was torn between no and yes. I am a huge Junior fan and the fact that he is on most of the time is a major selling point. That being said the censorship is a major problem, for that reason I may not.

For now I am voting yes.
- I feast on the smorgasbord of atmospheric violence -

My Equipment:

(1) HR34 "Genie"
(2) HR20-700 DVRs
DirecTV Nomad
Panasonic 50" Plasma TV
HP 42" Plasma TV
Mitsubishi 65" HD Rear View Projection TV
Yamaha 6.1 Home Theater System
JVC 5.1 Home Theater System

#11 OFFLINE   Kdiddy

Kdiddy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

I remember JR swearing a lot during the Daytona 500, but that's the only race I watched because of the Free preview. Did they clamp down on the vulgarity since then?

Yep after the first couple of races, they attempt to bleep out vulgarity (along with the majority of the conversation). Butchered it. :(

#12 OFFLINE   T_N_T

T_N_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:19 PM

Yep after the first couple of races, they attempt to bleep out vulgarity (along with the majority of the conversation). Butchered it. :(

Then, what is the point of it then?

#13 OFFLINE   t_dennis

t_dennis

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:26 PM

I would love to have the option of team audio behind the network audio on the driver channel just like it is on the super channel.

#14 OFFLINE   mikeren1

mikeren1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts
  • LocationJax, Fl

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:28 PM

My vote will be no.. But only for financial reasons..Being a jr fan i love that he was on every race ( minus 1 road course race i think)..If direct tv told every1 that he wouldnt be on every week i think they would lose a whole lot more people than those who are mad because he is on every week...Just my opinion..

#15 OFFLINE   Lanthom

Lanthom

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:10 PM

I got it for free when I joined but decided it wasn't worth it. I like Jr but him having a channel each week gets old. It would have been nice to have seen some different drivers.

#16 OFFLINE   LCollett

LCollett

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:27 PM

I voted yes. I watch the JR channel, but record all channels using three DVR's. I do not watch everything recorded, but it is nice to be able to, depending on what happens in the race. For me, HotPass is a great value.

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:43 PM

I would share my complaints with DirecTV before cancelling, guys. They are open to all suggestions/ new ideas.

We've shared our complaints here each week. And SatelliteRacer I'm sure has taken those back to DirecTV. However nothing has been done...

And we've been told that most definitely nothing will be done about Junior having his own channel each and every week.

DirecTV has made it crystal clear that they don't care about anyone else's fans besides Junior's.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

Hell yes I'll be renewing. It's not perfect but it's still pretty awesome, The censoring has gotten better and I really like channel 799 for when the 24 doesn't have a channel. Also it's very cheap. For just over $2.00 per race it's a fantastic deal.

Also they have done a good job with the driver lineup. Since Jr's fans are basically subsidizing the entire project it's obvious to even the most mentally challenged among us that he needs to get a channel every week. They have featured the other top drivers plenty throughout the season and have been doing a good job during the chase of focusing on drivers who are in the title hunt.

I do understand why some people will want to cancel because there is no way to please everyone. But I like Hotpass and will subscribe every year that it's offered even if the double the price. NASCAR is my only real vice so I don't mind paying the same amount for an entire season of coverage that some people spend every week on cigarettes and alcohol.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#19 OFFLINE   mikeren1

mikeren1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts
  • LocationJax, Fl

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:40 PM

"Also they have done a good job with the driver lineup. Since Jr's fans are basically subsidizing the entire project it's obvious to even the most mentally challenged among us that he needs to get a channel every week." That's what i wanted to say :)

#20 OFFLINE   smokes20

smokes20

Godfather

• Registered
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:01 PM

Nope, I voted No. Smoke is one of NASCAR's top drivers and he gets a channel every 4-5 races this year. His audio sucks most of the time. Add the fact that he wasn't a scheduled driver but was switched during the race a few weeks ago and notification was a split second crawler that I must has blinked through, just isn't good enough for me to spend $89. When Smoke ends up next season in the top ten going into the chase :D , I will consider getting the Race to the Chase portion of Hotpass for $20 or so bucks, but not the entire season. I have had it with censorship, poor audio and Hotpass announcers who consistently talk over the audio channels for the drivers. Even listening to DW is better than Adam Alexander's ramblings about nothing.

ETA: Just wanted to add that Satelliteracer has been more than helpful during the issues most of us expressed here. He always has acknowledged them and passed on to the powers that be those which could be addressed and fixed. More than once when audio issues were posted, he read them and had them corrected quickly. He can't fix Jrs nation hold on 796, nor can he assure me that Smoke will get a dedicated channel more than Jeffie does :), but he manages to keep his wits about him while we are complaining. Now, if by some chance he needs a button pusher for next year when Smoke should get a channel, he has my email addy :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...