Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Press Release:DirecTV announces 3rd quarter '08 conference call,financial results

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:58 PM

Wow, I figured DVR-DVR MRV was coming sooner than that. Hopefully, when they say 2009, they don't releast at the end of 2009.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   408SJC

408SJC

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:30 PM

Even if it was at end of '09 they will need testers

#53 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,188 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:14 PM

then in 2009 going from DVR to DVR

Ahhhh..........!!!!!

2009? That could be over a year from now for MRV.:mad:

#54 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

Ahhhh..........!!!!!

I certainly hope it's very early 2009.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#55 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,421 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

A very diplomatic answer considering that the owner of the dominant product in that market is your primary competitor.

Actually, mobility is DIRECTV2Go. I'd say he ignored the question altogether.

edit: I thought some more about what constitutes mobility and I can see where it now also covers receiving stuff on your wireless hand-held. Getting up a good head of steam with a "secure" media player for phones would be a daunting task indeed. There's also the issue of private home viewing that they well need to definitively address as part of such a setup.

#56 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,421 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:20 PM

wonder if whole home solution will require an IP network or if they will utilize MoCa in some way.

It seems likely that they will continue to pursue IP-based solutions. On the other hand, perhaps MoCA is the motivation for recommending against diplexing?

#57 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,381 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

Actually, mobility is DIRECTV2Go. I'd say he ignored the question altogether.

Maybe by choice.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#58 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

Ahhhh..........!!!!!

I take it to mean this.

2007 was the year of Media Center.

2008 was the year of the PC to DVR and back connectivity. We've been testing this in the CE program for what, nearly a year now? At least for a good portion of 2008 and now it's officially launched.

So 2009 is the year of DVR to DVR, or MRV as we call it. I'd think CE testing for that would begin pretty soon, as in a couple months or so.

Then it all leads up to 2010 for a whole home solution.

This has all been step by step, building on the other it seems. It's taken a while but DirecTV seems to be taking the long view on this anyway. Most of this stuff still to this day is all a niche market, just the geeks want it. So they let the CE program bang on it for a couple years piece by piece until they have a solid foundation built up and then they have a full product. Pretty interesting.

But yes, the mention of MRV and whole home DVR was the biggest "news" for us and it came from a question from the audience so it was a good question indeed.

#59 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:52 PM

It should be noted he talked about DVR to DVR and not DVR to receiver.

#60 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:31 PM

Here you go ... word for word ...

http://seekingalpha....nscript?page=-1

DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#61 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:20 PM

Here you go ... word for word ...

http://seekingalpha....nscript?page=-1

Thanks Sixto ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#62 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,201 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

Here's the section where Chase mentions about MRV:

"And you are going to move from that being able to up the time, boxes in the home, so if you got an HD box in one room and HD DVR in the other room, the HD box can access the HD DVR and then probably more towards the end of '09, '10 move to really a next generation box. It is one box feeding multiple sets, so it’s a process of moving through time. "

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#63 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

"And you are going to move from that being able to up the time, boxes in the home, so if you got an HD box in one room and HD DVR in the other room, the HD box can access the HD DVR and then probably more towards the end of '09, '10 move to really a next generation box. It is one box feeding multiple sets, so it’s a process of moving through time. "

I also did not read anything about DVR to DVR, rather HDDVR to HD box. I have four HDDVRs, but wonder if I should go out and get myself an HD box for a potential MRV CE.

#64 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:34 PM

He can only talk about MRV coming next year... There is no way its going to be implemented this year.. Its not even in testing yet... And based on DOD and Directv2pc, it takes around 6 months from when we first see testing till it is officially launched...

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole house solution uses Moca... and works over cable and internet... Cable lines for main unit and clients, and internet to any other regular reciever, like the HR20's, etc...

#65 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:46 PM

2007 was the year of Media Center.

2008 was the year of the PC to DVR and back connectivity.

2009 is the year of DVR to DVR, or MRV as we call it.

2010 for a whole home solution.

2011 - the year "channels i get" issue resolved. :D

#66 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:41 AM

So 2009 is the year of DVR to DVR, or MRV as we call it. I'd think CE testing for that would begin pretty soon, as in a couple months or so.

It should be noted he talked about DVR to DVR and not DVR to receiver.

I also did not read anything about DVR to DVR, rather HDDVR to HD box. I have four HDDVRs, but wonder if I should go out and get myself an HD box for a potential MRV CE.

In this thread, we have multiple posters claiming that DVR-to-DVR was explicitly mentioned.
Yet the transcript apparently shows no mention of that whatsoever. Instead, it talks about HD-receiver-to-DVR.

Can we get this straight before we invent a mythology of promises that were not made?
If they did say DVR-to-DVR, can someone please help me find it?
If they didn't, can we please not fabricate a false story about it?
So, bottom line: Did they or didn't they?

#67 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:01 AM

In this thread, we have multiple posters claiming that DVR-to-DVR was explicitly mentioned.
Yet the transcript apparently shows no mention of that whatsoever. Instead, it talks about HD-receiver-to-DVR.

Can we get this straight before we invent a mythology of promises that were not made?

I tend to agree with you. From the transcript.

And you are going to move from that being able to up the time, boxes in the home, so if you got an HD box in one room and HD DVR in the other room, the HD box can access the HD DVR and then probably more towards the end of '09, '10 move to really a next generation box.

That doesnt says JUST DVR-DVR.

#68 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:24 AM

Surely, if you can send from a DVR to a standard Receiver, you can also send to another DVR.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#69 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:40 AM

I'll listen to the audio again to confirm...wouldn't be my first mistake this lifetime...or even this week (it's pretty early in the day here).

...ken

#70 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,201 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:49 AM

Surely, if you can send from a DVR to a standard Receiver, you can also send to another DVR.

True, but only if they write the code for it and distribute. The big question would be will they, I hope they do.

#71 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:00 AM

That doesnt says JUST DVR-DVR.

It doesn't say DVR-DVR at all.

Surely, if one eSATA drive will work with an HR21, they all will. Uh-huh.

It appears to me that we're fabricating DVR-DVR stories about this....

#72 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:14 AM

Of course in theory, but what I found interesting is an HD DVR to HD box scenario is much closer to the current HD DVR to PC format, as supposed to our assumption of the HD DVR to HD DVR MRV.

All I am saying is until reading what he said, few ever thought about HD DVR to HD box MRV because one thing people like about MRV is a better use of all the storage spaces. But if the HD DVR to HD box may be a more obvious first step in MRV, that is better than nothing. I just will hate to have to add a receiver for testing.

#73 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:06 AM

That may be true about no DVR-DVR MRV. If so, I think everyone will be dissapointed and DirecTV will have vastly missed the target market for this as it seems silly to buy an inferior reciever to see what is on a machine in the other room. Plus, every other MRV solution I am aware of is between two DVRs so it seems logical that DireCTV would do the same.

In fact, I wonder if many people with standard HD recievers even know what MRV is or if it has occured to them that it might be cool. On the other hand, a large number of DVR owners want the feature.

#74 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:02 AM

I listened again...he speaks of HD to HD DVR. That's far better. It would also mean DVR to DVR would work as they are also a receiver. It also means we're not looking at a download and play system, but more of a streaming solution.

I assume the whole home setup would also include the ability to use DVR like functions on live TV (as well as recorded content) from a client box.

#75 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,201 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:16 AM

That may be true about no DVR-DVR MRV. If so, I think everyone will be dissapointed and DirecTV will have vastly missed the target market for this as it seems silly to buy an inferior reciever to see what is on a machine in the other room. Plus, every other MRV solution I am aware of is between two DVRs so it seems logical that DireCTV would do the same.

In fact, I wonder if many people with standard HD recievers even know what MRV is or if it has occured to them that it might be cool. On the other hand, a large number of DVR owners want the feature.

Their target market could be the AT&T Uverse MRV solution which doesn't have a DVR on every TV, only one that feeds them all. Or they could be going after the E* market, those folks that use the TV2 feature to feed a NTSC signal to a remote TV but they've now upgrade that set to HD and want a HD picture without having to spend a couple hundred $'s on a 2nd DVR.

But as someone that has four HD DVR's I sure hope they don't forget about us and get a client installed on those boxes also.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...