Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Press Release:DirecTV announces 3rd quarter '08 conference call,financial results

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

How about I modify my statement: In many cases you were highly encouraged to switch to Dish. And in most MDU's it was forced. I know a couple people that live in such apartment complexes and they were all forced to switch to Dish.

YMMV of course.

Anyway...

Highly encouraged meaning they got advertising in the mail...or was there waterboarding involved? C'mon...let's be real the AT&T change had nothing to do with churn. DirecTV isn't claiming it did...it seems only you are.

Yes, it probably cause lower subscription numbers, but my guess is the number of people that canceled DirecTV because the AT&T deal switched is ridiculously small. Dish's subscription numbers would also certainly bear that out. People that were getting a discount through BellSouth for DirecTV are still getting that discount and my guess is DirecTV is still paying AT&T on those existing customers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:56 PM

Ah, that would be completely illegal...

As the operator of the MDU can't send both providers signals through the same plant, they have to make a choice. I'm guessing that there is language in the contract that says that the choice is the operators, not the residents.

The problem for many MDU operators is the significant amount of new equipment demanded by the DIRECTV Ka/Ku setup. I would bet that their motivation to not change to MFH2 plant would be strong; especially with a few more MFH3 installations coming on line. In either case, there's lots of hardware to buy and install and likely more than a little wire plant to replace.

#103 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:34 AM

Ah, that would be completely illegal...

How is that illegal? Apartment complexes change their TV provider all the time. In an apartment I used to live in long ago back in college they had their own internal cable system (just 30 channels). You couldn't get the local cable company.

Then they went to DirecTV thru the whole place. Few years later they switched everyone to the local cable company. Sure, they couldn't stop you from getting DirecTV on your own (assuming line of sight and all that) but if you wanted TV thru that cable in the wall then you were switched from DirecTV to cable no matter if you wanted to switch or not. It's just the way it works in MDU where the complex wires you up for something and you get whatever it is they provide you.

#104 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:14 AM

You guys do realize that Chase is not a technical guy and he answered this question "off the cuff" without any preparation. I can't believe people want to nit pick what was said live with no real press release by someone who pretty much knows the big picture and not the gritty details.

One only needs to be active in the CE program to see where things are going. I'll just leave it at that.

I actually thoguht about this over the weekend and I think you are probably right. He is probably breifed on many things prior to teh call, but to parse his every word like he is Alan Greenspan or something is probably not the best thing we could spend out time on as he might not actualyl know in depth what the plan is to the level we want to know.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...