Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV2PC Discussion and Troubleshooting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
808 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

I've split off all troubleshooting posts from the first look and put them here. Please use this thread to help each other through issues.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tyrate

Tyrate

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:15 PM

I have 2 HD DVR's but I'm getting the no servers found messege. Do I have to wait until friday to get an CE update or will there be a release prior to friday to activate the server? Any ideas how to correct this issue?

#3 OFFLINE   Dirk

Dirk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:20 PM

Don't think I am going to be able to use it. My Dell 2405FPW doesn't support HDCP. :(

#4 OFFLINE   schneid

schneid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:22 PM

The HDCP display requirement seems a high hurdle to meet. The only one I have is my 50" Sammy but that is already connected to my HR20. My main PC has a 24" display connected via DVI but I doubt it is HDCP.

I don't see the point of this offering with such high requirements. It is obviously much, much cheaper to add more D* receivers than new HDCP compliant video cards and displays.

Before you make the plunge, don't believe the Nvidia cards listed are HDCP no matter what they say. I built a Blu-ray HDCP compliant PC and all the Nvidia cards I tried, failed. The ATI 3650 I settled on passes Cyberlinks BD Advisor test and the D* Advisor posted today. It's a P4 with XP and passes while my Core-duo Vista Ultimate box fails the video.

If you want to read up on HDCP read the following link. Short version is it is a DRM scheme that screws the consumer by making them buy all new equipment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

D* TP31 is beaming Firmware 0x0290 right now (noonish). The current release is normally on TP25 and the CE on TP24. Maybe a download can be forced right now.

#5 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

The HDCP display requirement seems a high hurdle to meet. The only one I have is my 50" Sammy but that is already connected to my HR20. My main PC has a 24" display connected via DVI but I doubt it is HDCP.

I don't see the point of this offering with such high requirements. It is obviously much, much cheaper to add more D* receivers than new HDCP compliant video cards and displays.

Before you make the plunge, don't believe the Nvidia cards listed are HDCP no matter what they say. I built a Blu-ray HDCP compliant PC and all the Nvidia cards I tried, failed. The ATI 3650 I settled on passes Cyberlinks BD Advisor test and the D* Advisor posted today. It's a P4 with XP and passes while my Core-duo Vista Ultimate box fails the video.

If you want to read up on HDCP read the following link. Short version is it is a DRM scheme that screws the consumer by making them buy all new equipment.

D* TP31 is beaming Firmware 0x0290 right now (noonish). The current release is normally on TP25 and the CE on TP24. Maybe a download can be forced right now.

An analog VGA connection will work.

#6 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:33 PM

It's not that they *want* to have high requirements, it's just the nature of the technology.

By the way, pretty much any decent flat screen monitor you buy for a computer nowadays is HDCP compliant as are pretty much any video cards, even cheapo ones (at least from ATI). I can run this on my wife's old PC with a 4 year old ATI card. Won't do HD (processor is only a 2.8 ghz) but it'll run SD just fine.

#7 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,064 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:35 PM

Don't think I am going to be able to use it. My Dell 2405FPW doesn't support HDCP. :(

Dang! 24 inches and you can't use it for Blu-ray or DirecTV2PC. :eek2:

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#8 OFFLINE   Mindhaz

Mindhaz

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:35 PM

I've been testing with a 3 GHz PentiumD and it's been working fine.
What is the "problem/error"?
here is a thread about running this on old computers: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=131230

Not having issues. I think I just missed the cut... Pentium D 830 3.0Ghz :( Maybe D* could lower the system requirements a bit for those of us not paying the Vista performance tax.

My machine shipped in January of 2006. If yours is older, we are probalby in the same boat. No DTVPC for us.

Any word on a Mac version? I have newer Macs.

#9 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:38 PM

Not having issues. I think I just missed the cut... Pentium D 830 3.0Ghz :( Maybe D* could lower the system requirements a bit for those of us not paying the Vista performance tax.

Again, it's just the technical limitation of the way the technology works. Not really anything DirecTV can do to lower the requirements. Pretty much need a dual core with a pretty recent video card in the last year. Playing Blue Ray takes a LOT of resources for a computer to run. DirecTV can't change that. ;)

#10 OFFLINE   Mindhaz

Mindhaz

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:43 PM

Playing Blue Ray takes a LOT of resources for a computer to run. DirecTV can't change that. ;)

I can play BluRay.

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:48 PM

Any word on a Mac version? I have newer Macs.

I haven't tried it but if you ran Parallels, VMWare, or Boot Camp you could probably run DIRECTV2PC under Windows. However, I've heard no plan for a Mac version. I do know some people at DIRECTV who really like their Macs though, so it's not impossible.

#12 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,069 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:52 PM

Anyone know the total size of the download?

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:53 PM

It is 31.4 MB

#14 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,069 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:54 PM

It is 31.4 MB

Thanks. I'm close.:)

My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   waynebtx

waynebtx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,468 posts
  • LocationKingsville,Texas

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:55 PM

very good. now i can get on my laptop.

Wayne

Slimline dish SWIM16
Sharp LC-60E78UN
HR34-700/AM21 w/ Harmony 880.
1 C31-700

HR44-700

HR24-100

H25-100

Marantz NR1603 A/V 7.1

All Wired Networked
Xbox 360

Xboxone
retired USN , retired Boeing, retired L3COM, just plain tired

#16 OFFLINE   rorkin

rorkin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:00 PM

My slingbox works fine.. Can view anything and can do it over the internet.
Just as cheap as a card and display that can run this.. I don't get it..

#17 OFFLINE   s2hotty

s2hotty

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

31.4 MB took about 21 minutes to download for me

Good Luck

#18 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

My slingbox works fine.. Can view anything and can do it over the internet.
Just as cheap as a card and display that can run this.. I don't get it..

Does your slingbox let you view HD programming at the same resolution as your TV? (I know mine doesn't.) Does your slingbox let you watch something different than what is being shown on the TV?

#19 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

HDCP shouldn't prevent you from viewing most content. It only seems to actually be required for DoD content at least so far. I've got a fairly old 20inch dell lcd that doesn't support hdcp and it only complains when I try to play DoD content.

#20 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:10 PM

I dont know about Wireless N being some huge requirement because i am using G and streaming HD works fine. nice write up

Protected By... spam firewall...And...