Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622 Saga, three bad receivers so far

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   edison_GTI

edison_GTI

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:42 AM

Hello dbstalk forum !!!!

Here is my story with out 622 so far:

1st receiever: brand new receiver installed last December. New house intallation with a 622 in the living room and a 222 in the master bedroom. After couple of months, we noticed that when watching recorded, or buffered, programs the image would freeze but the audio will still go. We fixed it by pausing and hitting play again. It was getting more frequent and a bit anoying. We called s CSR and they decided to replaced our 622.

2nd receiver: we received the replacement, a refurbished unit. Worked fine for a month, then started displaying a DVR error when turning the unit on. DVR was dissabled. I unplugged the unit for 10 min or so, and the error went away until the next day. Called a CSR and the suggested plugging the unit directly to a wall socket, didn't fix the problem. After several calls, the decided to send another receiver.

3rd receiver: another refurbished unit. Installed it (last night) and after 20 min the unit power cycles on its own. Turned back on again and it keeps power cycling. It is plugged in to the wall. I might try the plugging it to the surge protector.

Seems like we get worse problems everytime we get a new unit. I'm getting very frustated with these units. In the mean time, the 222 has been working fine.

Am I having bad luck? I don't think the problem is the installation, since I get a different problem with each unit.

Thanks, Edison

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:52 AM

It's called Receiver Roulette and happens all too frequently when swapping a receiver. You just have to keep trying until you get a good one. For your troubble you could try talking them into sending you a 722 replacement instead of another 622. Some have been successful with that.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:54 AM

Hello dbstalk forum !!!!

Here is my story with out 622 so far:

1st receiever: brand new receiver installed last December. New house intallation with a 622 in the living room and a 222 in the master bedroom. After couple of months, we noticed that when watching recorded, or buffered, programs the image would freeze but the audio will still go. We fixed it by pausing and hitting play again. It was getting more frequent and a bit anoying. We called s CSR and they decided to replaced our 622.

2nd receiver: we received the replacement, a refurbished unit. Worked fine for a month, then started displaying a DVR error when turning the unit on. DVR was dissabled. I unplugged the unit for 10 min or so, and the error went away until the next day. Called a CSR and the suggested plugging the unit directly to a wall socket, didn't fix the problem. After several calls, the decided to send another receiver.
3rd receiver: another refurbished unit. Installed it (last night) and after 20 min the unit power cycles on its own. Turned back on again and it keeps power cycling. It is plugged in to the wall. I might try the plugging it to the surge protector.

Seems like we get worse problems everytime we get a new unit. I'm getting very frustated with these units. In the mean time, the 222 has been working fine.

Am I having bad luck? I don't think the problem is the installation, since I get a different problem with each unit.

Thanks, Edison

Is the 622 located in an enclosed rack? If so take out. Is there any thing else on the same electrical circuit? It sure sounds environmental. Not that you couldn't have a string of bad luck. Also,:welcome_s

#4 OFFLINE   edison_GTI

edison_GTI

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

Is the 622 located in an enclosed rack? If so take out. Is there any thing else on the same electrical circuit? It sure sounds environmental. Not that you couldn't have a string of bad luck. Also,:welcome_s

It used to be enclosed (first receiver), but after couple of high temp alarms, I removed the door and cleared everything above it. It now has about 1.5 feet of empty space above. Since then, I haven't heard the high temp fans kicking in (they were loud!).

Electrical circuit, the unit has its own wall socket. The surge protector (TV, receiver, DVD, cabinet lights, CD) is plugged into a different socket in the same wall. I had to use a regular extension cord for the 622.

#5 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:13 AM

It used to be enclosed (first receiver), but after couple of high temp alarms, I removed the door and cleared everything above it. It now has about 1.5 feet of empty space above. Since then, I haven't heard the high temp fans kicking in (they were loud!).

Electrical circuit, the unit has its own wall socket. The surge protector (TV, receiver, DVD, cabinet lights, CD) is plugged into a different socket in the same wall. I had to use a regular extension cord for the 622.

Is the 622 located in the lighted cabinet? If so what kind of light is it? Just trying to rule out anything with a ballast that could induce some kinda hum in the circuit.

#6 OFFLINE   PghGuy

PghGuy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:00 AM

I just went through a somewhat similar situation...my suggestion would be for you to tell the CSR that you want a service technician to come to your house and look at everything (at no expense to you of course) and after three bad receivers they should be more than willing to do this.

Once this happens, I think you are in a better position to at least get your DVR replaced with a brand new one instead of a refurbished one because I don't think a lot of technician's carry refurbished ones. You also might even luck out (like I did) where the technician indicates they stopped installing 622's a while back and he could only replace your 622 with a new 722.
Pioneer PDP-6070HD
VIP722

#7 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:04 AM

Have you checked the temperature around your unit. Perhaps you are not high enough to result in an alarm but high enough to cause some failures. Some people have installed external cooling pads to bring down the temperature. Might be something worth trying after your next swap to see if that stops the failures. Do a search on Fan and you should find some threads that talk about people that have implemented some solutions to reduce the temperature of around their DVRs.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#8 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:06 AM

Also, Just as important is the side clearance inside the rack. The 622 draws in air from the right side looking at it from the front and exhausts it to rear left side of the unit.

#9 OFFLINE   edison_GTI

edison_GTI

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep an eye on receiver temperatures tonight. If it keeps power cycling, I'll request a technician to check the installation.

Remember, the third receiver failed within 20 min of installation.

#10 OFFLINE   edison_GTI

edison_GTI

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:13 AM

Is the 622 located in the lighted cabinet? If so what kind of light is it? Just trying to rule out anything with a ballast that could induce some kinda hum in the circuit.

No ballast, regular bulbs.

#11 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

Good. I guess that can be ruled out. Also, where is your A/V receiver installed in relation to the 622?

#12 OFFLINE   edison_GTI

edison_GTI

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:27 AM

Good. I guess that can be ruled out. Also, where is your A/V receiver installed in relation to the 622?

The 622 is two shelves up from the receiver. It goes from bottom up: receiver, shelf, CD and DVD players, shelf, 622, open space.

#13 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:32 AM

If you can mount one of those small cheap thermometers inside the cabinet. I'm thinking the heat from your A/V receiver my be cooking your 622. The 622 has a problem with overheating by itself. It doesn't need extra help from other components.

#14 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

The 622 is two shelves up from the receiver. It goes from bottom up: receiver, shelf, CD and DVD players, shelf, 622, open space.

Heat rises.

#15 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:01 PM

Heat rises.

You nailed it.:)

#16 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:18 PM

Yes I would definitely not recommend placing a 622/722 above the receiver.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

When I got my 722 I moved my receiver up to the top of my cabinet because of all the heat problem reports.

#18 OFFLINE   edison_GTI

edison_GTI

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:59 PM

This is how it looks in the cabinet:

Posted Image

Update: it took 25 minutes for the receiver to power up today and several reboots. I had it going, but as soon as I hit record, it rebooted again. I'm chatting with a CSR right now.

Also, I tried the USB fan and the unit didn't like it; as soon as I turned on the fans the 622 rebooted again.

#19 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:09 PM

Is that cabinet enclosed? if so do you have any fans to ventilate the air? I actually bought a two reading temperature guage from Radio Shake and I have it display the reading at the top and at my receiver. And when it starts to read around 95F I open the cabinet door. I have two exhaust fans at the top pulling air out and two at the bottom of the cabinet drawing air in. I still get heat build up.

To get a good idea of your heat in that cabinet, I would suggest going to radio shack or some other store and get a two location temp gauge. They come in handy and really easy to monitor and see if you are getting heat build up in your cabinet.

Not saying this is your issue.. but personally I would always go receiver on top. Those things generate a huge amount of heat and act like a slow cooker for components above them. Also the 722 does a good job of heat generation also and does not help the configuration.

#20 OFFLINE   edison_GTI

edison_GTI

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:12 PM

Is that cabinet enclosed?

Nope, it's open.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...