Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622 Death of a Thousand Reboots

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:52 AM

One of my 622s is now greasy side up. It started last night. I was watching a recorded program while another program was recording. I paused the one I was watching and when I returned a few minutes later it was in an endless reboot. Power light on and off every 10 or 15 seconds and HD spinning. I unplugged it for a minute or 2 and it didn't help.

I called Tech Support and explained to Punjab masquerading as Andy what happened. He told me to unplug it. I told him, again, that I had just done that. He said he had a procedure to follow. I told him to follow it with someone else and hung up. Unplugged it for about 30 minutes and it booted up that time and started recording the 2 it was scheduled for even though it was about 5 minutes past the hour. Less than 30 minutes later it started the cycle again.

I decided I had no choice so I called again. This time an Amurikin sounding young lady named Michelle asked what was going on. I told her about the rebooting and unplugging not helping. She said "ooh, that's not good. Tell you what. I'm going to send you another one." I then told her of my earlier experience and she apologized profusely. I told her it wasn't her fault and thanked her for handling the problem so expeditiously.

I left it unplugged overnight and it lasted about 45 minutes before going into the cycle.

Since this will be my 4th 622 in 18 months (one was doa) coupled with the tech support nonsense I'm going back to the other side. I know, I know. I've read the D* forums and they have their problems also but at least it's cheaper for me. And they have a 14 day schedule. :grin:

I may regret this but it's done.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

spam firewall