Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pure Baseball...better than the Majors!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 06:02 PM

Hi all. Though I'm not an avid sports fan I do like to watch Baseball at least once a week. This year I was treated to some of the best baseball I've seen in a long, long time. Technically speaking, there were some errors and bobbles, but overall extremely well played games.

What am I talking about? The new OHSAA Division 1 State Champions, the St. Xavier Bombers!!!! (that's "Zavier" not "EGG-zavier"...when you say EGG-zylophone...then you can say "EGG-zavier")

Since I work for community TV, and St. Xavier is in one of the three communities we serve (www.waycross.org), we have been following (as best as we could) the St. X tournament bid.

More exciting baseball, you couldn't find.

In the District finals, St. X built an early 6 run lead, but then Springfield North slowly nibbled away at the lead. It wasn't until the last pitch of the last batter of the last inning that you knew that X would hold them off. Tying run at third, winning run at second and insurance run at first with a strong batter up. A relief pitcher is called in to throw three pitches to win the game!

In the Regional finals, St X took the early lead in a slug-fest. At the top of the seventh, Reynoldsburg ties the game with fantastic "move-em-over" baseball! (7 inning regulation games). In the top of the 8th Reynoldsburg goes ahead 12-11 with the same "move-em over" strategy. No clobbering hits, but well placed taps that get the runners moving. But in the bottom of the 8th St. X gets two men on base...and in the classic "movie finish" the ball is hit for a home run to win the game 12-14!

And finally to the game I just got back from. The Ohio state final! Both teams are from the Cincinnati area. That in itself made the game more exciting for us in SW Ohio. But a battle of pitching and great at bats with some incredible major league plays was just awesome. A little controversy with a few calls (which in our replay showed the ump was either right or it was too close to call so that was the correct call!) made the game that much more exciting! A 4-3 victory wins St. Xavier their first ever State title!

More polished baseball you can find. Better baseball, or more exciting games? Nope!

Congratulations to the Milford Eagles on their runner-up crown which is in itself, no small feat!

See ya
Tony

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 07:29 PM

I'll bet no one used a corked bat either. :D

#3 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 10:01 PM

No need...Aluminium! :D

*PING*

I'd like to see the majors use aluminium bats. But the full body kevolar and composit body sheilding the pitchers would need may take away from their mobility! :)

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#4 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 05:23 AM

Plus everyone would have to build new stadiums to allow for 700-800 foot shots. Then there would have to be more players on the field, could you imagine a shot to deep center and throwing from the fence to 2nd base without an extra cut-off man...
If you can read this, you are too close.

#5 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 05:56 AM

I just read an article about the Milford Eagles up here in Akron Tony. I could have swore it was about the girls team? Did their girls have a good team?
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#6 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 10:54 AM

John,

The Milford Eagles Fast Pitch Softball team only made it as far as the sectional semi-finals. (8 games short of the state champs) :)

No its the boys team that should have gotten the press. They lost only 2 games before they lost to St. Xavier. One of the the boys from that team was drafted by the MLB too. Very cool.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

spam firewall