Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Zinwell WB68 with only two input cables

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oscaro

oscaro

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:44 PM

Newbie here, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered before. My installer came and installed a Swimline 5lnb dish, but only ran two lines to my one hr20 unit. There is currently no switch as the lines are directly from my dish. I recently purchasec a Zinwell WB68 because I have two R15's that I want to connect.

My question is, can I only run the two input lines into the 6x8 and get the six outputs I need for all of my receivers (two to hr20 and four total to the r15's)? I do not have easy access to roof, so I would like to just use the two cables that are currently inside.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:46 PM

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

You need to run all four lines from the dish to the multi-switch.

#3 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:46 PM

Welcome!

Nope, you need all 4 from the dish to the WB68 so that you can see all sats/receive all programming (specifically HD programming).
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#4 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:06 PM

The tech should have run all 4 lines down. You could call the local HSP and tell them you feel the installation isn't done to D* spec.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#5 OFFLINE   oscaro

oscaro

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

Can I split the two lines to feed all four inputs?

#6 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,083 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

Can I split the two lines to feed all four inputs?

Nope. All four lines from the dish must run to the multiswitch.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,914 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

The coax is actually a 2-way communication link. The receiver tells the dish what it wants, and the dish sends the proper signals back to the receiver. There are four possible groups of signals/replies.

A multiswitch external to the dish must have all four possible sets of signals available on it's inputs in order to be able to pass the requested set on to a receiver. In order for that to happen, the multiswitch must have four coax lines running between the dish and the multiswitch inputs.

Without using SWM technology (which your R15's won't work with), there is no way to go with fewer than four coax lines from the dish to the multiswitch.

Carl

#8 OFFLINE   oscaro

oscaro

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for your help. I called Directv and they are sending out another installer to finish the work the previous installer left behind.

Is there a maximum distance that the WB68 can be from the dish?

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,914 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

The WB68 is non-powered, which means all power to the dish must come from the receiver(s), through the WB68. Typically, you want to keep the receiver to dish total length under about 150 feet. I have powered a dish through 400 feet of coax, but would never suggest a permanent installation with that length, especially an HD installation with a 5-LNB dish.

If you are getting into longer coax runs, then you might want to look at either a powered multiswitch (WB616 for example), or the use of a Sonora power inserter/phase locker between the wB68 and the dish. Also, for anything over 100 feet, you want to make sure you have solid copper center conductor coax (as opposed to copper clad steel).

Carl

Protected By... spam firewall...And...