Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NBC Wins Rights to 2010, 2012 Olympics

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 06:06 AM

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) -- Eight years ago, NBC pulled off a pre-emptive bid to secure a long-term Olympic deal. This time, it beat the other networks head-on to retain its five-ring monopoly.

NBC secured the U.S. rights to the 2010 and 2012 Olympics on Friday in a $2.201 billion deal, extending its run to a record seven consecutive games over 12 years.

NBC and its parent company, General Electric, were picked by the IOC over bids by Disney's ABC-ESPN and News Corp.'s Fox.

"It's obvious the Olympics matter to us," NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol said. "There are people walking around here tonight that are proud as peacocks."

http://customwire.ap...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

NBC Leading the Pack in Sports World
http://tv.yahoo.com/...5489491300.html
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   QualityIsJobOne

QualityIsJobOne

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:01 PM

Originally posted by John Corn
"It's obvious the Olympics matter to us," NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol said.

...This is all well and good....however...I usually watch CBC's Olympics coverage way more than NBC's.....:eek2:
MSNBC, BLOOMBERG TV, MMORE HD, KZZU SPOKANE & CFOX VANCOUVER...ON STARCHOICE...NOT ON EXPRESSVU! :dance:

#3 OFFLINE   RandyAB

RandyAB

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:12 PM

I wish someone else got it, because I cannot stand the NBC coverage. If I have to hear about another heartbreaking story from an American athlete....just show the damn events.

#4 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:33 PM

I hope the other networks push NBC back into the 70s when they were the most underrated network in history.
Do you DVR?

#5 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 06:16 PM

And the winners are:

ABC, CBS, and Fox, which don't have to pay out billions to broadcast the Olympics.

If the Olympics quintuppled their current ratings, NBC still would lose money on this deal. And the lame theory that "it promotes other things on the network" wasn't ever true, and gets less true as the multi-channel universe gets larger and larger.

This is a despiration move by NBC management, which simply does not have a clue about how to profitably program the regular schedule, and a corporate junket for GE execs.

As a NEWS Corp stockholder, I am thrilled.

#6 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 10:03 PM

I started hating NBC when they got to broadcast the Super Bowl So Much in the earlier and mid 90's. If I remember correctly after 1992 the Super Bowl was on NBC for the Next 3 Season's in a Row Keeping John Madden and Pat Summerall two of the best football announcers of our time not being able to announce the biggest Sports game of the year. I am glad that NFL Football is not on NBC Right now and I hope that it stays that way. Fox, and CBS do a much better job with the games.

#7 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 09 June 2003 - 01:01 PM

Oh good! More chances to see and hear Bob Costas!
HarryD

#8 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 11:21 PM

Costas is NBC's best announcer. Dick Enberg used to be untill he got smart and left to do football and College Basketball on CBS.

#9 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,201 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 10 June 2003 - 09:36 PM

I've discovered that NBC Olympic programming is tolerabe with a PVR. not good, mind you, but tolerable. I can skip all that gawdawful alleged human interest dreck.

I hope that I soon have a BeVu PVR equivalent to a 921 in my future...

#10 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 11 June 2003 - 11:59 AM

Originally posted by Msguy
Costas is NBC's best announcer. ..

And that's sad! Announcer? He's more a host of a talk show ! :lol:
HarryD

#11 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 08:50 PM

The best part of last olympic broadcast was the HD feed. Events were uncut showing all competitors, not just the top dogs. Too bad it was delayed a day.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...