Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk.com First Look: DIRECTV2PC

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:34 AM

There is always a chance but at this point it is a slim one.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jasonp5

jasonp5

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:46 AM

I skimmed through a lot of this thread...but didnt see the obvious question answered...Does having this ability now make True Multi Room Viewing from DVR to DVR something that is going to be coming down the pipeline soon?

#23 OFFLINE   Kapeman

Kapeman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:59 AM

I skimmed through a lot of this thread...but didnt see the obvious question answered...Does having this ability now make True Multi Room Viewing from DVR to DVR something that is going to be coming down the pipeline soon?

That was my thought exactly.

While this new feature is nice, it is hardly a replacement for MRV.

#24 OFFLINE   Bathel

Bathel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:34 AM

My question is... when is live TV via media center coming. This is what I really want. I'd love to put all my boxes in a central location and have quad or more tuners able to be access across my home network to any of my HTPC. Right now use myMovies to distribute my purchased movies to all locations in the house and would love to dovetail that into live TV using DirecTV.

#25 OFFLINE   Bathel

Bathel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:36 AM

That was my thought exactly.

While this new feature is nice, it is hardly a replacement for MRV.

I believe you can do MRV right now with this software, just only recorded shows. You can put the software on multiple computers.

#26 OFFLINE   mstenbrg

mstenbrg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:40 AM

Seems like their stated requirements are a little high. I have it running fine over 802.11g with a video card that is not on the supported list.

#27 OFFLINE   mstenbrg

mstenbrg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:51 AM

I dont understand what is so great about being able to watch a Tv program on your PC, when you could just watch it on your TV. If you were able to get it on your PC away from your house that would be different.

You can buy a new Plasma or LCD TV these days plus get another reciever setup for less money than a PC that plays 1080P. Dont think that I am against technology. I love it. Its just I dont really see the big benefit. I have a Panasonic Tough Book CF-30 that I would love to watch some of my shows on while I am out in the real world working. Could you imagine being in a remote place in the world and being able to watch your programs from your STB? That would be cool.

You can now watch TV on a laptop outside.

#28 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,399 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:20 AM

I know that I am a little late to comment this one but I did want to express how impressed I am with the new format. “Great job!”, to all those involved.

#29 OFFLINE   Kapeman

Kapeman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:20 AM

I believe you can do MRV right now with this software, just only recorded shows. You can put the software on multiple computers.

My version, and I think the classic definition of MRV, uses the Sat tuners as hosts and not PCs.

Dish can do this and has for some time, why not DTV?

#30 OFFLINE   TerpEE93

TerpEE93

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:14 PM

Here's a vote for DIRECTV2Mac! I've run both Parallels and VMWare, and I'm not sure my Macbook has the horsepower to run DIRECTV2PC in a VM, based on what I see are the PC requirements...
Terp

D* user since 2/06, and 7/02-4/05 before that
E* user 12/98-2/00 and 4/05-4/06
Currently one HR20-700 with an HR10-250 and DP-921 in storage

#31 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

Posted Image

DBSTalk.com, in cooperation with DIRECTV, is proud to provide our readers an exclusive first look at DIRECTV2PC, the innovative software solution to allow for multiroom viewing over a PC!

Thanks to Doug Brott, dettxw and Grentz for authoring this First Look!

DIRECTV2PC First Look

Note: This software has a fairly high requirement for the PC, and you must be using version 0x0290 or later on your host DVR.

#32 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:55 AM

I've split out the discussion and troubleshooting, please let's keep this to pre-download questions and general impressions.

#33 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:04 AM

The new discussion thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=143143

#34 OFFLINE   papa_azteca

papa_azteca

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:33 AM

I am very impressed! I can see using this when my kids fight over what recorded programs to watch, especially when my 2-yr-old wants to watch something the other kids do not. I'll just sit him at the computer and let him watch his recorded programs.

I want to thank those on DBSTalk.com for a great First Look (like the new PDF style) and DIRECTV for building a relationship with those here at DBSTalk.com in order to offer these sneakpeaks. I don't know of many companies that have done this.

#35 OFFLINE   mkstretch

mkstretch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:18 AM

I dont understand what is so great about being able to watch a Tv program on your PC, when you could just watch it on your TV. If you were able to get it on your PC away from your house that would be different.

You can buy a new Plasma or LCD TV these days plus get another reciever setup for less money than a PC that plays 1080P. Dont think that I am against technology. I love it. Its just I dont really see the big benefit. I have a Panasonic Tough Book CF-30 that I would love to watch some of my shows on while I am out in the real world working. Could you imagine being in a remote place in the world and being able to watch your programs from your STB? That would be cool.

I like it cause while my son is watching mickey mouse I can watch some of my shows on my laptop, also if you want to watch a live show just press record and you can watch it while its recording.

#36 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:51 AM

This works great on my laptop (Vista) until O hook it to a TV (S Video) then it aon't work, my desktop (Vista) won't show video, it has a video card that can output too a TV. Is this some kind of protection? I need to upgrade my monitor/card for my old XP machine, can anyone recomend a combination that will work. I want LCD in the 26"+ range. Thanks,
I watch alot of TV on my Computers (ESPN 360)

#37 OFFLINE   Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

I love the concept, but I've lost total interest on account I cannot use my PC HDDs for storage purposes. D* need to fix that, if they want me to participate. I'm sure there's a way to figure out how to make stored shows and movies on PC HDDs non-uploadable or transferable.

#38 OFFLINE   EVAC41

EVAC41

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:15 PM

I know that I am a little late to comment this one but I did want to express how impressed I am with the new format. “Great job!”, to all those involved.

I just got mine installed and up and running and I must say I am truly impressed :eek2: ... I played one of the HD recordings and it really looks like its in HD.

Good Job guys..... YOU ROCK!!!! :joy: :biggthump :allthumbs :icon_hroc

#39 OFFLINE   Slatts

Slatts

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 04:46 PM

I finally got mine to come up after updating my drivers for my video card. How do I get switch recievers. I saw two when I first loaded it, now I only see the first one I picked. How do I get over to the other one.
Slatts

#40 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,638 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:02 PM

I finally got mine to come up after updating my drivers for my video card. How do I get switch recievers. I saw two when I first loaded it, now I only see the first one I picked. How do I get over to the other one.
Slatts

menu, system setup, server and then you need to click on the serial number for the arrows to show up. up/down until you get the DVR you want and then click on the serial number before you leave this page "to select it".
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall