Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk.com First Look: DIRECTV2PC

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:56 PM

works great. good job D*.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   scott72

scott72

Icon

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:26 AM

I dont understand what is so great about being able to watch a Tv program on your PC, when you could just watch it on your TV. If you were able to get it on your PC away from your house that would be different.

You can buy a new Plasma or LCD TV these days plus get another reciever setup for less money than a PC that plays 1080P. Dont think that I am against technology. I love it. Its just I dont really see the big benefit. I have a Panasonic Tough Book CF-30 that I would love to watch some of my shows on while I am out in the real world working. Could you imagine being in a remote place in the world and being able to watch your programs from your STB? That would be cool.

Especially since you can only watch shows that are currently being recorded on you DVR? Unless I'm misunderstanding, why would you record a show on your DVR, then watch it on your PC at the same time? I'm also a technology nut and this may work for some, but I'm not sure it's worth allocating the bandwidth for.

#43 OFFLINE   scott72

scott72

Icon

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:29 AM

I am very impressed! I can see using this when my kids fight over what recorded programs to watch, especially when my 2-yr-old wants to watch something the other kids do not. I'll just sit him at the computer and let him watch his recorded programs.

I want to thank those on DBSTalk.com for a great First Look (like the new PDF style) and DIRECTV for building a relationship with those here at DBSTalk.com in order to offer these sneakpeaks. I don't know of many companies that have done this.

I guess this would be a good use for it. Live TV viewing would be more practical for my use since we always have a TV available for DVR viewing, but this is a start.

#44 OFFLINE   cashoe

cashoe

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:30 AM

Especially since you can only watch shows that are currently being recorded on you DVR? Unless I'm misunderstanding, why would you record a show on your DVR, then watch it on your PC at the same time? I'm also a technology nut and this may work for some, but I'm not sure it's worth allocating the bandwidth for.

You can watch ANY show recorded on your DVR, INCLUDING ones currently recording.
Illegitimati Non Carborundum

Whenever man strives to idiot-proof something they always underestimate nature's ability to make a better idiot.

#45 OFFLINE   kki000

kki000

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:49 AM

This really comes into its own when you have a second hr20 and a laptop.
I always have my laptop by the couch here and I used to use slingplayer to watch stuff on the second hr20 in my bdrm. The sling i have is the regular sd model and the fact that I dont have to blow money on a hd model which wouldnt work this well anyway is great.

This saturday, i was able to keep up with all of the important college games at the same time. Recording 4x games and watching 2 of them at once, all on hidef, switching back and forth.

My wife thought me a damn fool and she's probably right, but this my friend is tv heaven.

btw its also great when you're playing video games on your main tv.
I was on the ps3 and had the world series on the laptop, which i think is the only way to watch baseball, especially if you dont give a rats as$ about either team :)

#46 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:09 AM

btw its also great when you're playing video games on your main tv.
I was on the ps3 and had the world series on the laptop, which i think is the only way to watch baseball, especially if you dont give a rats as$ about either team :)

Why even bother watching if you don't care about either team :confused:

:backtotop
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#47 OFFLINE   irlspotter

irlspotter

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:04 AM

I can't get rid of the Status Bar when playing shows on my PC from my HR-21 or my HR-20. How do I get rid of it, it so annoying, it is unbearable to watch!!

#48 OFFLINE   rhipps

rhipps

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:22 AM

I dont understand what is so great about being able to watch a Tv program on your PC, when you could just watch it on your TV. If you were able to get it on your PC away from your house that would be different.

Agree. Now if I could download to my PC and watch it at leisure, THAT would be something to get excited about IMHO. It would be nice if DTV asked for some customer input as to what features we would like to see rather springing some rather useless band width hogs "bells and whistles" like VOD and DTV2PC on us.

#49 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

I can't get rid of the Status Bar when playing shows on my PC from my HR-21 or my HR-20. How do I get rid of it, it so annoying, it is unbearable to watch!!

The status bar on my laptop disappears shortly after I move the mouse cursor off the screen. Drag it up/down/right/left.

It would be nice if the status bar disappeared anyway after a short time delay, like the Caller ID popup does on the TV screen.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#50 OFFLINE   stevetrek

stevetrek

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:46 PM

I've been running it on a new quad-core Dell XPS420. I have a power-line ethernet network between the HR21-700 and the computer. Works great! No stuttering. Looks great on my 24 inch LCD too! Good Job DirecTv!

#51 OFFLINE   eweiner1

eweiner1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

I've been running it on a new quad-core Dell XPS420. I have a power-line ethernet network between the HR21-700 and the computer. Works great! No stuttering. Looks great on my 24 inch LCD too! Good Job DirecTv!

As a frequent critic of D* over HD DVR issues, I have to say that D* finally got it right with DIRECTV2PC. There have been times that it has just been way to convenient to sit at my computer (a quad core Pentium system attached to a 22" widescreen monitor) and watch what was recorded on any of the 4 HD DVR boxes in my home. Of course this gives me that opportunity to "see" what some of the "young ones" have been watching and recording. The only drawback (if you want to call it one) is that once any part of a program is viewed, the menu screen on that particular DVR shows that the program has been viewed, even partially. Heck, keeps 'em guessing.

Now if D* would only stop doing software upgrades during prime time hours. Well, we can only hope!

#52 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:45 PM

I'm embarrassed to say I've missed a few of these first look articles, but it's worth saying anyway: great job on the First Look!!!

#53 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

My major issue is............No issues. Nothing to complain about. :lol:
It is running great on my laptops.
I'm running the latest version, I think. I love being able to watch a recorded show on my laptop, while sitting on the couch, watching something else on the tv.
Good job, Dtv.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#54 OFFLINE   jjcaudle

jjcaudle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:03 PM

This seems to be more limited than Tivo Desktop. Tivo desktop can transfer programs from Podcasts to the DVR, programs from DVR to computer or even convert them for IPod viewing.

#55 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:02 PM

This seems to be more limited than Tivo Desktop. Tivo desktop can transfer programs from Podcasts to the DVR, programs from DVR to computer or even convert them for IPod viewing.

When you get Tivo desktop to work on an HRx its a fair comparison til then I'll suggest :backtotop before the mods do.

Directv2PC does exactly what it was created to do, in compatible systems, lets you play HRx programming on a PC.

spam firewall