Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone getting PBS LIL?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fingerstyle

fingerstyle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:38 AM

Sorry if this has been answered but I looked and couldn't find it. My locals went HD earlier this month-Springfield Holyoke. We are not getting the local PBS station in HD which is a wee bit odd since that is where the DTV collection facility is. The local PBS affiliate says that they hope to have this corrected next week but I'm not holding my breath

Are there any areas with locals in HD that have PBS or are they being excluded?

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:07 AM

DirecTV worked out some kind of agreement with PBS last year, though we have never been given any details other than it was to be implemented in 2008. So far we haven't seen much on the HD front. Of course there are still 2+ months left in 2008...
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   capecodsooner

capecodsooner

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:36 AM

Of course there are still 2+ months left in 2008...LF

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not picking on you but I love those type of answers when dealing with DTV timelines.

I too would like to see ONE of the PBS channels I recieve in HD on DTV. I also get two extended local versions of PBS (RI and NH), and while I enjoy 3 different PBS programs simultaneously I would like the one in my primary viewing area to be in HD.

Looks like the flood of new transponders wa not as big a flood as "advertised" or speculated upon......either that or the one entity with perhaps the lowest costs and supported "with viewers like you" cant get an HD deal with DTV.....me thinks the problems lie with DTV not PBS on getting these programs on the air in HD. $$$$$

I still get ghetto cable though and my TVs can tune it in in HD via that route and routinely do.....thus eliminating any chance of channel surfing via D and a subsequent loss of all there attempts at catching my revenue while I watch PBS(game channel, PPV, etc...) or any of THEIR paying advertisers.
Boston Market
Sony KW-5140HW proj. TV
VIZIO 32" HD
OLEVIA 27" HD
VISCO 37" HD
2 x H20-100
2 x H20-600
Hughes SD reciever - Directors Model
Samsung SD reciever
AU-9 Dish/AT-9 Dish/3LNB w/tripod
Sling Boxes(2)
Whole house prewire CAT5/Dual RG-6/5.1 SS

#4 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 947 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:01 AM

[

I still get ghetto cable though and my TVs can tune it in in HD via that route and routinely do.....thus eliminating any chance of channel surfing via D and a subsequent loss of all there attempts at catching my revenue while I watch PBS(game channel, PPV, etc...) or any of THEIR paying advertisers.[/QUOTE]

So what the F..... are you trying to say? You enjoy cable more than DTV?

#5 OFFLINE   capecodsooner

capecodsooner

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:26 AM

BN

The WTF you are aiming at is way off target.

I like D and the choices they give me for the $$ provided. However, I'm sure that their ADVERTISERS or bean counters don't really want me to select an alternate delivery method, CABLE, as my primary viewing method for HD PBS.

Also, I stopped drinking the D coolaide a long time ago.....:D

If I'm on cable watching PBS in HD I have almost ZERO chance of flipping over to another DirecTV channel, Pay Per View, subscription based programming choice, etc... I might have fliped to another DirecTV channel but for the lack of a truely universal remote that can also control SOURCE or INPUT.

Therefore, during the time I'm on local cable PBS in HD they have almost ZERO chance of getting any more money out of my pocket.

Like post number 2 stated, there are still two months left in 2008 for D to live up to the propoganda/hype they delivered through their PR dept befor D10/11 launced.....successfully. I thought that was supposed to be the timeline for HD nirvana but apparently things did not work out that way.
Boston Market
Sony KW-5140HW proj. TV
VIZIO 32" HD
OLEVIA 27" HD
VISCO 37" HD
2 x H20-100
2 x H20-600
Hughes SD reciever - Directors Model
Samsung SD reciever
AU-9 Dish/AT-9 Dish/3LNB w/tripod
Sling Boxes(2)
Whole house prewire CAT5/Dual RG-6/5.1 SS

#6 OFFLINE   Plasman

Plasman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:24 PM

A couple of markets have their PBS in HD. More info here: http://dbstalk.com/s...ad.php?t=141875

#7 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 03:10 PM

Most of us aren't getting our local PBS stations in HD via D*.. it appears most of the PBS stations are mum on what's going on and D* isn't talking either. After the joint press release last December, everything is silent. There are about 3 or 4 threads on the topic on DBSTalk.com, however. Hopefully, satelliteracer will have good news for us soon, as 2008 is almost over.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#8 OFFLINE   yankeesfan

yankeesfan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

In my DMA (Burlington, VT-Plattsburgh, NY) we get WETK and WCFE, 2 PBS's in HD

spam firewall