Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Working as a tech for Directv?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Incog-Neato

Incog-Neato

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:56 PM

Avg Answer time was over 15 minutes and avg abandon time was 12 minutes during the time I was watching NOC (that was on "reboot day") the following day it was way down. :)

To go off topic for a moment, yes, The Denver center is awesome (gush).
And yes, standing is common... You'll see alot of veteran reps with the old 12' phone cables that allow them to literally walk around the the place (on a leash), and therefore most the new reps only get 3' cables :P

Keep in mind also that the Denver Center is one of the 3 Major centers, and is THE technical call distrib center (When you call 800-531-5000, You call the denver center, and the IVR there determines which center to send you to afterwards).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bt-rtp

bt-rtp

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:06 AM

I was wondering if working as a tech for directv was a good job to have? Im asking since it has ran across my mind several times to work for D* but most of what I have read on here is negative. I would like some real insight from current or previous technicians, either in house or sub? Im really interested in the good, the bad, and the ugly?

It is a challenging job that requires multiple skills to do it well. The first being dealing with customers, explaining the installation and setting expectations. Then there is the physical installation for getting a line of sight, mounting the antenna, aligning it and installing the wiring infrastructure. This can be very challenging, depending on the dwelling. You never know what kind of dwelling that you will be working in, some are pretty horrid as are some customers. Lastly, some customers are impossible to please and/or do not understand the services. For example, why an SD channel does not look as good as an HD channel.

bt-rtp
HR24-500 with AM21
HR21-200
HR20-700
HR20-100

#23 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:28 AM

those were 2 well written posts, thank you IIP and RobertE

There is indeed little more to add. I've been tech, tech sup and sub for a large HSP. Some days good some days terrible. I work for a dealer now. Less hassle and more pay.
IT can be a good job but you'll need to bust your ass for a long time to get anywhere with it.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#24 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

Just looking for an update... now that we are in 2012 has it got any better ? any worse?

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#25 OFFLINE   adidas208

adidas208

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

Just looking for an update... now that we are in 2012 has it got any better ? any worse?

The only thing that has changed in my market is that we are only working four days a week and have management that does not care...as long as they make their numbers i dont think they could care less they are starving out techs and their families. Hell I have been having to burn through vacation hours just to make my check big enough to cover the bills. It was way better a year ago and now things are going to the crapper

#26 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:39 AM

I left at the end of 2011. New job, benefits that are lightyears ahead of what I had. Could not be happier that I got out. :)
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#27 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

I think it all depends on what HSP you work for, while things arent perfect you can still make a decent living. The only downside is that work in my area is INCREDIBLY slow right now and new techs (and senior techs that suck) at the lowest pay level are hardly making any money. This is my fifth year and this will be the FIRST year I make less than the year before, mainly cuz I worked 6 days 80% of last year and there was a boatload of work. I think I have only worked 6 days maybe 3 or 4 times so far this year. The most important thing to learn is to take all the work you can while its there, cuz there are times a year when it dries up and you WISH you would have done the extra jobs when they were there. I can give you some $$ figures if you like
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...