Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ch 293 baby not working

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FUCCO

FUCCO

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:13 AM

I have the premier pack. Today scrolling thru the guide i noticed ch 293 was there but was blacked out. I get the message 721 not purchased. I have the highest package so why is this not on? I already did the refresh my services. Is this still a live channel

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ycebar

ycebar

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:18 AM

U have to pay extra for that channel not included in any package

#3 OFFLINE   FUCCO

FUCCO

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

thanks for the info. I think the $120 i give directv everymonth is more than enough.

#4 OFFLINE   jeffreydj

jeffreydj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

It's a premium channel, so why is it deserved? Even with the highest package, there are many channels you don't have. PB, baby channel, game channels, etc.

Not everyone wants the baby channel, and I sure don't want that channel adding to my bill ... My kids would never watch it.

Anyhoo, just my opinion :)
JJ
HR20-700 | HR21-100 | HR21-200

#5 OFFLINE   iluvtv

iluvtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:19 PM

whats so special about this channel that its labeled as premium?

#6 OFFLINE   jeffreydj

jeffreydj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:33 PM

It has content filmed specifically for babies. personally, I don't think babies should be watching enough TV to have their own channel ;)
JJ
HR20-700 | HR21-100 | HR21-200

#7 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:56 PM

whats so special about this channel that its labeled as premium?

Sometimes, that's just how the market rolls ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:40 AM

^^I thought it's labeled "a la carte", not "premium".
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#9 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 916 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:45 AM

and this channel, is needed..it keeps you awake at night not having it?? heh heh ?? hahahh...just kidding

I would purchase Setanta b4 i get this channel..ha!

#10 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:09 AM

I would love to know the number of subs to this channel, I cant imagine it is that high. Our son was the age this channel would have been for when it started and I had no interest in ordering it.

#11 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:46 AM

I would love to know the number of subs to this channel, I cant imagine it is that high. Our son was the age this channel would have been for when it started and I had no interest in ordering it.

:shrug: .. Don't know the answer to that, but since it's there, I have to believe that the answer is at least "enough."
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   karlhenri

karlhenri

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

:shrug: .. Don't know the answer to that, but since it's there, I have to believe that the answer is at least "enough."

This is a very good channel actually. I used it for a couple of months. I used it for my son who was a few months old at the time. He is now almost 4 and he remembers the channle still and used to ask me for it until recently.

To me, that channel filled a void not well covered by the PBS and Noggin channels. It showed a lot of the baby Einstein series DVDs. So, lots of colors, shapes, music, simple concepts. It is really tailored for children up to maybe 1 year old. Before they can understand stories.

The cost is not prohibitive and I would buy it again, maybe for a few months, if I had a kid that age still. Recycling a couple of DVDs over and over could give you a headache.

I think I can see why it may not be in the Premiere pack. Adding it would probably inflate the price by $3-$4. It's not offered by a big media group, so they may not have enough clout to get it added to a base package. Since it has a limited period of interest for a household, a-la-carte seems to make sense.

Now if we could find a way for Setanta to be added to the Sports pack. I still don't think it's worth $15 a month. There is a lot more value from FOx Sports and GOlTV whoa re in the Sports pack.

#13 OFFLINE   tftc22

tftc22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:14 AM

...I think I can see why it may not be in the Premiere pack. Adding it would probably inflate the price by $3-$4...

I agree with everything in your post except that it would add $3-$4 to the price if it was put in the Premiere package (or whatever package it would be put in). That seems way too high to me. It costs $5 by itself. Now here's what it would cost if it was put in a regular package (assuming Baby First TV would receive the same amount of money from Directv):

If 1 out of 10 subscribers to that package currently subscribe to BFTV a la carte, then BFTV would make the same amount if all subscribers of that package paid $0.50 per month. If it's 1 in 100, then it'd be $0.05 per month. 1 in 1000 would be half a penny per customer per month. $3-$4 per subscriber would mean that 60-80% of subscribers to whatever package it would be put in currently subscribe to Baby First a la carte.

#14 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:50 AM

I agree with everything in your post except that it would add $3-$4 to the price if it was put in the Premiere package (or whatever package it would be put in). That seems way too high to me. It costs $5 by itself. Now here's what it would cost if it was put in a regular package (assuming Baby First TV would receive the same amount of money from Directv):

If 1 out of 10 subscribers to that package currently subscribe to BFTV a la carte, then BFTV would make the same amount if all subscribers of that package paid $0.50 per month. If it's 1 in 100, then it'd be $0.05 per month. 1 in 1000 would be half a penny per customer per month. $3-$4 per subscriber would mean that 60-80% of subscribers to whatever package it would be put in currently subscribe to Baby First a la carte.

Often, the channel providers charge a per-subscriber fee.

If this channel does that, the cost would increase directly as it became available to more subscribers.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#15 OFFLINE   tftc22

tftc22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:49 AM

Often, the channel providers charge a per-subscriber fee.

If this channel does that, the cost would increase directly as it became available to more subscribers.

I don't think I explained what I meant that well (maybe the fact that I was posting at 3 am had something to do with that). I don't know the real numbers but let's say that when a subscriber to Baby First TV pays Directv $5 for the channel, then Directv keeps $0.50 and pays $4.50 to Baby First TV. Let's also say that 1 in 100 people subscribe to Baby First TV a la carte. Out of about 18 million subscribers, that would be 180,000 Baby First TV subscribers. Now let's suppose that Baby First TV was put in the most basic package. For Baby First to make the same amount of money, Directv would charge every subscriber around $0.045. (18,000,000x$0.045=180,000x$4.50).

You're right that the cost would increase for everyone and I can see why this is an a la carte niche channel. I'm just saying that I don't think it would increase by $3-$4.

#16 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

This is a very good channel actually. I used it for a couple of months. I used it for my son who was a few months old at the time. He is now almost 4 and he remembers the channle still and used to ask me for it until recently.

We had it for my son too .... it was good at first, but gets very repetitive. He's more into Sesame Street now ... (and he's only 1 1/2 years old. He runs around saying "Ernie" "Elmo" and "Grover" all day ... :)

#17 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

To me, that channel filled a void not well covered by the PBS and Noggin channels. It showed a lot of the baby Einstein series DVDs. So, lots of colors, shapes, music, simple concepts. It is really tailored for children up to maybe 1 year old. Before they can understand stories.

We have had this channel since it came online at D* and also find it very useful. We have a daughter due in March and will continue to receive this channel. However in that time I have never seen any Baby Einstein material. We have nearly the entire set of BE DVD's. There are BE like programs on there but not stuff directly from the DVD's.

I don't know when you stopped subbing to it but they have added a lot of programs for older toddlers now. Granted a lot of stuff is for toddlers and newborns to look at, but our 3 year old still likes to watch newer programs on there and sing and dance with them. We don't let him watch stuff like the Wiggles, Barney, and Power Rangers. We'd rather that he learns when he watches TV.

I would purchase Setanta b4 i get this channel..ha!

I had Setanta and canceled it less than a month later. I was able to talk the person at D* into not charging me the $10 since I was going back to the Sports Pack.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#18 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:05 AM

The marketing of this channel seems logical to me.

First, it is for babies. So only families with children of about 6 months to 18 months would want it. That has to be less than 1% of people.

Second, its a 100% non-ad supported premium. Unlike channels that vast majorities do not watch, but which pad their ad rates by citing number of home the are in, they do not care.

Third, most people with babies, or at least many, might not agree with the whole concept of a "baby channel", further shrinking the niche.

Why should anybody pay for such a channel.

#19 OFFLINE   illuminations25

illuminations25

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:38 PM

It's a premium channel, so why is it deserved? Even with the highest package, there are many channels you don't have. PB, baby channel, game channels, etc.

Not everyone wants the baby channel, and I sure don't want that channel adding to my bill ... My kids would never watch it.

Anyhoo, just my opinion :)

Most people that get PB usually require the Baby Channel within 1 year of ordering.

Sorry I had to go for it!

spam firewall