Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can you use WD SATA in a USB enclosure?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   William

William

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:46 AM

I have 4 WD 400GB SATA HD that I would like to use for storage. Can I buy a powered SATA to USB enclosure and plug them into my receiver? I'm looking at getting 2 Eagle Consus M-Series that allow 2 HD as a JBOD (I would have 2 800GB USB HD). Would this work? Is there a USB FAQ and/or where is the best link to some good basic info?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:53 AM

William,

You can use any type of drive (up to 750GBs) as long as it is installed in an USB enclosure with the proper interface for the drive you have. You can only use one drive at a time so don't get an enclosure that supports multiple drives. Some of us use USB switches to be able to use multiple drives. Do a search on this board and you will find some information on USB switches.
Bill R

#3 OFFLINE   William

William

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:03 AM

William,

You can use any type of drive (up to 750GBs) as long as it is installed in an USB enclosure with the proper interface for the drive you have. You can only use one drive at a time so don't get an enclosure that supports multiple drives.

Thanks Bill,

So I would need to use 4 individual enclosures to have 4-400GB USB HD's since you can't combine HD into a JBOD enclosure? When you say "proper interface" would 4 Rosewill RX35MV-SU-D SLV 3.5" SATA to USB 2.0 External Enclosures work?

Also what is the price ($5 a month and about $20 for setup)?

#4 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

William,

What I meant is that if you have an IDE drive you have to use an USB enclosure that has a USB to IDE interface. In your case you are using SATA drives so you need enclosures with SATA to USB interfaces. I have never used the Rosewill enclosures but looking at the specs they should work.

There is a one time fee of $39 to allow you to use external drives on your ViP receivers. That fee is for all receivers on your account that support external hard drives and you can move the drive(s) between receivers. There is no monthly fee.
Bill R

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,579 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:22 AM

The easiest solution is the pre-assembled external storage solutions.

The Rosewill adapter would probably work but you need to ask yourself how much time you want to invest. You can by a complete 400GB setup that will work for $70.

You can also buy 1TB drives that will work for $150.

I used to assemble USB drives all the time, but I find it not worth the trouble anymore as I've had a few noisy drives and some trouble with fans.

I find it interesting that 750GB drives have all but disappeared from the market. DISH needs to go back to the drawing board on their recommendations.

#6 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

I agree with harsh. On both my PC and DISH receivers I have had a lot more problems with USB enclosures than I have with complete setups (the WD MyBook drives have been very reliable for me).

Just last week I had an external drive on my PC that would not spin up. It turned out to be the power supply for the USB enclosure. I put the drive in another USB enclosure and it has been fine since (and I did a full backup on it "just in case"). I had the same problem on my 622 about a year ago. External USB enclosures seem to have poor power supplies.
Bill R

#7 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:05 PM

Get you a USB/SATA docking atation like the Thermaltake BlacX 2.5/3.5 SATA HDD USB Docking station.

Mine works great with 4-5 drives now. Just turn power off on dock, unplug notice appears on 622, swap drives and turn it on, new drive asks to be used - bingo!
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#8 OFFLINE   William

William

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:26 PM

Get you a USB/SATA docking atation like the Thermaltake BlacX 2.5/3.5 SATA HDD USB Docking station.

Mine works great with 4-5 drives now. Just turn power off on dock, unplug notice appears on 622, swap drives and turn it on, new drive asks to be used - bingo!

Thanks Jim,

That looks just like what would work for my situation the best. :) $40 to have all 4 HD accessible to my receiver plus being able to add future HDs replaced from my computers.

spam firewall