Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ext hard drive for 722?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

i just got a Maxtor 4 500 gig - $69 from staples for my722 - but now i'm reading about (and experiencing) probs with it going to sleep -which makes use of it a bit cumbersome -when i have to power it on/ off. i've been researching and i'm finding conflicting info= some say buy WD others say get an internal drive -that's the best way.
what's the deal - is this sleep mode the only problem with these maxtors? is there an off the shelf one that doesn't have this problem?
i welcome any/ all suggestions advice-
thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:46 PM

Ed,

There is an easy fix for the Maxtor drives but you have to do it BEFORE you format it on your DISH receiver. You should have got a CD with your Maxtor (if not you can download it from their web site) and one of the utilities will allow you to turn the sleep mode off. The utilities only work in windows so you will have to format the drive on your windows PC, run the utility and then have your DISH receiver format it. After that you shouldn't have a problem.

As for the WD drives they work very well with the ViP receivers. I have four of the WD MyBook drives, two on each of my ViP receivers.
Bill R

#3 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:55 PM

The Maxtor does not come with a CD. The software is actually on the hard drive itself. So, if you've formated it, you no longer have the software.

Fortunately, it is easily available, online:

http://www.seagate.c...port/downloads/

Download, then hook up your hd to a computer, and reset the sleep time. You can still do this if you've formatted it for your 722, and it will not wipe out any of the data.

#4 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:19 PM

thanks guys-

ok - just so i'm clear - i formatted my new maxtor via the 722 and then transfered quite a few shows to it. my prob is the maxtor going to sleep, correct?

but, to correct it, all i have to do is --
download the software (thanks for the link)
hook up the maxtor to my computer
install the software
change the sleep setting
and then hook back up to the 722

i won't lose my recorded shows on it?
is it clear how to set the sleep timer - is it possible to just disable it?
is that ok for the hard drive-to shut down the sleep mode?

thanks for helping me on this!

#5 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:12 PM

thanks guys-

ok - just so i'm clear - i formatted my new maxtor via the 722 and then transfered quite a few shows to it. my prob is the maxtor going to sleep, correct?

but, to correct it, all i have to do is --
download the software (thanks for the link)
hook up the maxtor to my computer
install the software
change the sleep setting
and then hook back up to the 722

i won't lose my recorded shows on it?
is it clear how to set the sleep timer - is it possible to just disable it?
is that ok for the hard drive-to shut down the sleep mode?

thanks for helping me on this!

You don't install the software on the hard drive. You install it on your desktop computer. This is software that allows you to manage all the settings on your Maxtor Hard drive from your computer.

1) Install the software on your desktop.
2) Connect the Maxtor to the Desktop.
3) Get into the Maxtor manager, and set the settings so the Disk doesn't go to sleep.
4) Connect back to the 722

It shouldn't have any impact on the files that are already on the disk - it didn't for me.

#6 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

I wasn't able to turn the sleep mode off once the drive was formatted on the 622 (It could be the drive I had; it was purchased about four years ago and did come with a CD).

I had to transfer all the programs back to the 622, format the drive on the PC, and then run the "no sleep" utility.

Let us know which way it works. It will be useful for future reference.
Bill R

#7 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:48 AM

I've been using two Maxtor EHD's with my 622 and now a 722, and they even work perfect with sleep mode activated.

If the drive goes to sleep, when I access it there is a delay, but it works fine, never gotten a single error. These are Maxtor drives a generation older than the current ones, I wish I had bought 10 of them they work so good.

#8 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:54 AM

That's my experience as well. I have never set the sleep mode off and don't have any issues with mine, which are the One Touch drives. I don't leave mine on except while it is in use.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#9 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:19 AM

Really? I had lots of problems with mine in "sleep" mode. I'm tempted to try again though - perhaps letting it go to sleep a bit later. I just hate paying to spin the hard drive all day long.

#10 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:24 AM

i just tried mine again - hadn't used since yesterday -was able to access a show without a problem but couldn't send a show to the EHD. Today when i hit STOP it did stop and show options to delete but as couldn't send a show. Yesterday when i hit stop the only thing that happened was the video itself stopped -no screen came up to delete- i did a reboot and then it worked.

but today i tried to send a show over and i got the error message. very frustrating

#11 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:10 PM

Eddie - those are all the exact problems I was having before I fixed the buisness with the disk sleeping.

#12 OFFLINE   girdnerg

girdnerg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:54 PM

I had to turn the sleep option off on mine also. I was able to do it after the 622 formatted it.

#13 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:45 AM

If having a problem with sleep mode, try this: If the drive hasn't been used in a long time and is sleeping, don't let the first activity you do be sending something to the drive.

Do a program listing on it first or something, just to wake it up. Then send a program to it. I think this will reduce the problems.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...