Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Closed Captioning on 722?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:01 PM

I recently upgraded from my long-time 721 to a 722. So far, I have been happy with most of it. It missed a few of my very first timers, but seems to have got them all since a reset that night. However, I do have one concern about Closed Captioning...

1. Does the 722 not support Closed Captioning pass-through for the Component connection? I really just want my TV to handle the CC. I simply like the way that my TV handles CC better than the 722. But, it doesn't look like the 722 is passing the CC data through to the TV. Is this a technical issue with Component connections or just a feature that they don't have? My 721 did this fine -- and I just tested it on a 522 and that worked fine also. Of course, both of those were S-Video connections. Can I get my 722 to pass it through?

2. If not, is there some shortcut or anything to quickly toggle CC on and off? From what I can tell right now, it TAKES 9 PRESSES ON THE REMOTE to toggle CC on and then another 9 to toggle it back off again! That just seems absolutely insane to me! For anyone that actually has a person in their household that NEEDS CC and therefore toggles it on and off on a regular basis, it is just insane that it takes 18 remote keypresses just to toggle it on and back off again. I'm hoping there is some secret, unlabeled remote key that toggles it on and off. Any luck there??

Thanks!

- John...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

Haven't seen any solution to this issue. If you do a search on the ViP612/622/722 DVR Support Forum you'll get a large number of threads, but other than having a third party remote with macros you're stuck with
Menu-8-8-1-Left-ON or OFF/Right/Done/View Live TV as far as I know.

#3 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:20 PM

Haven't seen any solution to this issue. If you do a search on the ViP612/622/722 DVR Support Forum you'll get a large number of threads, but other than having a third party remote with macros you're stuck with
Menu-8-8-1-Left-ON or OFF/Right/Done/View Live TV as far as I know.

Sorry, it's Menu-8-7-1-Left-ON or OFF/Right/Done/View Live TV.
It's one of the enhancements Dish gave us in lieu of actually fixing existing problems. :)
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:46 PM

Sorry, it's Menu-8-7-1-Left-ON or OFF/Right/Done/View Live TV.
It's one of the enhancements Dish gave us in lieu of actually fixing existing problems. :)

My bad. Forgot that nifty "enhancement" as I haven't used it in a while. And the problem with functioning by rote is that the first time I used it after the change, I was "perplexed" to say the least.:lol:

#5 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:58 AM

Ok -- thanks for the info. That's really, really pretty bad. Especially when we're talking about a feature that is often used by the hearing impaired. When it comes to a feature that is for helping with a disability or impairment, you'd think that Dish work put some effort into getting it right. :(

- John...

#6 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:32 AM

To answer your first question. As far as I know, I am not aware of any DVR or HD receiver that passes CC to the TV. I have always been under the impression that CC is not supported through component or HDMI/DVI and therefore CC is currently being handled by the receivers themselves (Does not mean it would not change in the future, but this is my current understanding of the technology).

As for a discreet code for toggling, it was on the last wish list poll and currently the only way is to do as described above. Might want to invest in a harmony remote.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#7 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:49 AM

On the VIP's at least, the receiver DOES pass CC info out the modulator to TV2; you'll notice when viewing TV2 the receiver-based CC options are gray'd out. You have to activate it on the TV, just like watching OTA.

TV 1 however you have to activate it in the reciver, and it's a major pain. I turn it on/off several times and day and get very frustrated with it. I'd put easier CC activation at the top of my wish-list for sure.

#8 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:01 AM

On the VIP's at least, the receiver DOES pass CC info out the modulator to TV2; you'll notice when viewing TV2 the receiver-based CC options are gray'd out. You have to activate it on the TV, just like watching OTA.

TV 1 however you have to activate it in the reciver, and it's a major pain. I turn it on/off several times and day and get very frustrated with it. I'd put easier CC activation at the top of my wish-list for sure.

My TV1 does not see any CC information via HDMI connection from my 722.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#9 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:28 AM

Until Dish comes out with a one button CC toggle... I use a Sony RM-VL600 programmable remote, $20-25, got it at Walmart if I remember right. It does not have a built in code number for Vip receivers but it's one of the easiest programmable remotes I have found to program. It has 4 macros, each can have up to 16 steps so it makes a one button CC for the Vip recievers. Apparently the Harmony remotes will not take the required 9 steps and need 2 macros to do the job. BTW, you can use either the up or down arrow to toggle the CC On/Off box so one macro will toggle CC.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...