Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Interest in Serial Control Program?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bwstein

bwstein

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:48 PM

So in looking to control my 3rd HR20 in a centralized distribution system I ran into the limitation with the IR addresses in the HR2x family of receivers. After spending a little while marveling at the fact they took time to integrate remote addresses and then decided two were enough I moved on. I figured no problem, I'll just use Girder or something like that and use the HR-2x serial control plugin. Then I spent some time and realized that no one had written a plugin. Not wanting to reinvent the wheel I decided to use a USB-UIRT, girder and a command line program I wrote to send the commands to the HR2x via serial.

Would this utility be useful to others? I would think it would be, but then again I was surprised not to see it already out there. Basically the way it works is you call a simple command line that looks like the following:

c:\controlHR20> controlhr20.exe CHUP

to control the channel up, etc. The program is only of any use if you are using Girder, Homeseer, etc to call it. In my case it's working pretty well and if it would help others I'd be happy to share it.

Thanks
Ben

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:58 PM

This post: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=99327 has information about the USB>Serial connection and the codes that DirecTV uses. Hope it helps!

#3 OFFLINE   bwstein

bwstein

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:03 PM

This post: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=99327 has information about the USB>Serial connection and the codes that DirecTV uses. Hope it helps!

I'm not looking for any help. I was offering others the use of the program if needed. I've been through the protocol already and parsed it for my purposes.

Thanks
Ben

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:16 PM

Is there a link for your program, or would you email it to those interested? If someone expresses interest for this type of application in the future, can they be referred to you, and if so how?

Thanks,

Carl

#5 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

I would absolutely be interested in your program. Well done. I, like you, am currently using Netremote, girder and USB-UIRT to control my HR20-100 and my H20-100.

#6 OFFLINE   bwstein

bwstein

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:33 AM

Is there a link for your program, or would you email it to those interested? If someone expresses interest for this type of application in the future, can they be referred to you, and if so how?

Thanks,

Carl

Carl,

I'm going to publish a link for it this evening. There are a few things I need to do in order to make the application a little more friendly to distribution (like move configuration settings to a seperate config file). Yes people with an interest in an application like this can be referred to me. The easiest way is by email... bstein@medill.net.

Thanks
Ben

#7 OFFLINE   bwstein

bwstein

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:40 AM

I would absolutely be interested in your program. Well done. I, like you, am currently using Netremote, girder and USB-UIRT to control my HR20-100 and my H20-100.

Your response just made me realize an interesting thing. If you're using multiple receivers you would probably want the ability to specify the comport from the command line rather than through a config file. I can support either but if it's via a config file you'll have to have seperate directories with seperate config files for each receiver. I suspect that I've answered my own question with this post but want to confirm your feelings.

Ben

#8 OFFLINE   RehabMan

RehabMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:00 AM

Your response just made me realize an interesting thing. If you're using multiple receivers you would probably want the ability to specify the comport from the command line rather than through a config file. I can support either but if it's via a config file you'll have to have seperate directories with seperate config files for each receiver. I suspect that I've answered my own question with this post but want to confirm your feelings.

Ben

You could have a command line option to select the config file name (as opposed to hard coding it in the app). Just an idea...
AU-9 to Zinwell 6x8, HR20-700 and H20-100 (component) to whole house Elan S12 system,
2x Sharp LC-32D62U (workout room, outdoor room), Sharp LC-42D62U (master bedroom), Gefen HD Mate Scaler to Gateway 17" 720p monitor (kitchen), Home Theatre still under construction
H20-600 to Sharp LC-37G4U in guest house

#9 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:20 AM

bwstein,

Doesn't matter. Anything you've got would be great. I can adapt it for any specific needs I have.

BTW, does it mimic all the remote control buttons, or only some of them?

#10 OFFLINE   bwstein

bwstein

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:22 AM

bwstein,

Doesn't matter. Anything you've got would be great. I can adapt it for any specific needs I have.

BTW, does it mimic all the remote control buttons, or only some of them?

I'm pretty sure at this point that it does all of them. If it's missing any adding them is trivial. The DirecTV spec is pretty complete about laying out all the button equivalencies. Also, there are a bunch of routines they allow you to run, things like returning the signal strength vial the serial port, etc.

Ben

#11 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:35 AM

bwstein,

Could you also include the stripped down GML that calls the program so I can see how you've got the girder commands setup. BTW, what version of girder are you running?

#12 OFFLINE   bwstein

bwstein

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:45 AM

bwstein,

Could you also include the stripped down GML that calls the program so I can see how you've got the girder commands setup. BTW, what version of girder are you running?

Yeah, I can. I think on the machine that's actually doing the control I'm using Girder 4, though I did the development on a machine running Girder 5. Shouldn't matter at all to Girder as all you're doing is calling an external program. I guess if you're going to use a usb-uirt you have to be running 4 or 5 but that's about all that matters.

#13 OFFLINE   bwstein

bwstein

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

I've made the program available at http://www.medill.net/controlhr20

Good luck, let me know if you have problems. Heck, let me know if you use it and it works for you.

Ben

#14 OFFLINE   bwstein

bwstein

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:28 PM

So I've realized I provided no syntax on how to use the application. Most of it is fairly straightforward though there are some commands I need to lookup when I'm at home in front of the source.

examples:
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe play
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe pause
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe stop
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe record
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe ffwd
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe rewind
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe advance
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe replay
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe menu
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe list
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe 0
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe 1
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe 2
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe 3
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe 4
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe 5
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe 6
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe 7
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe 8
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe 9
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe uparrow
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe dnarrow
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe ltarrow
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe rtarrow
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe dash
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe enter
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe yellow
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe red
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe blue
c:\controlHR20\controlhr20.exe green

etc.

Please let me know if there are commands you need added.

Thanks
Ben

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:04 PM

On and Off.

#16 OFFLINE   bwstein

bwstein

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:46 PM

On and Off.

Ah, good point. For my install I don't use the power functions so I didn't code them. I'll add them tonight and post another version shortly. They'll be (surprisingly)

controlhr20.exe on
controlhr20.exe off

#17 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:59 PM

Hey how about building us an iPhone app?

:bowdown:
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#18 OFFLINE   bwstein

bwstein

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

Hey how about building us an iPhone app?

:bowdown:

It's possible but I'm not sure what you're thinking? The HR20 doesn't support network control as far as I know. So really it would be an IPhone app to control a server of some sort. For that, I'd just use a web page. So really that's no trouble at all.

Did you have something else in mind?

Ben

#19 OFFLINE   bwstein

bwstein

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:46 PM

On and Off.

A new version has been posted with the on and off commands added. Good luck

Ben