Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help for a neophyte, please.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:12 PM

I had one HD receiver and three SD receivers in my home. They gave me a great offer a couple of years ago to switch to HD-DVR's but when Mastec came to the house they wanted to drill massive holes in my wooden floors and my wife went nuts so I put it on hold as by my reading of this forum I was led to believe that a single wire solution was coming.

To make a long story short, I finally bit the bullet and after some judicious bargaining (and some testy emails), I was given what I considered a fairly good deal on two HD DVR's, one SD DVR and one HD receiver and I got a SWMline dish also so I would not have to run more than one wire. I suppose that having been a loyal customer since 1995 helped.

I enjoyed the OTA channels, particularly the -2 from the local pbs station which had some terrific shows on it. Obviously I wanted to continue using OTA. The installer said he had nothing to do with OTA and that it would be a snap to hook up the AM21 when I got them from DirecTV.

My question, which I am sure has been answered already but I can't find despite the search function is: Can I use the single cable run to each receiver or DVR to also carry the OTA signal or will I have to run another cable to each set, which would defeat the purpose of my having waited (ie one cable)?

I now have three AM21's sitting in my living room and while I think I could manage to run an extra cable to one or two of the sets, the main set in the living room would be a nightmare.

Can someone direct me to where this has been discussed or if it has not, even if it is not approved if it is at all feasible? If it is possible, I will try and I would appreciate some guidance on which splitters (diplexers?) to use.

Thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mjones73

mjones73

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:10 PM

You can use diplexors with the SWMLine dish to join an OTA feed into the line then split it back out at the receiver locations. What you can't do is use the AM21 with the non DVR HD receiver, they only with with the HR21 and HR22 DVR's.

#3 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:37 AM

as to the approval question, it is NOT a supported configuration for directv.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#4 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:44 AM

Is there any particular brand or frequency range that I need to purchase or should I just call Solid Signal and ask?

Since it is not a supported configuration, I suppose my avenues of inquiry would be limited.

I obviously have the splitters from the previous installation which joined and split the OTA signal to the one set, but as I understand it (and I use the term understand in the lowest possible sense), the SWMline dish has a wider range and I have no idea what frequencies they pass or hinder.

Thanks for the quick response, this forum is very interesting and seems to be free of the rancor I am used to on the internet. I have been lurking for quite a long time but found out what I thought I needed to know without intruding with my dumb questions until now.

Thanks again.

#5 OFFLINE   jhillestad

jhillestad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

Cant you also run the cable outside then through the wall into the room you need it to be in ? Is this a house or an apartment or something... ?

#6 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:03 AM

Cant you also run the cable outside then through the wall into the room you need it to be in ? Is this a house or an apartment or something... ?

Our main TV is backed into an interior wall. This is a two story house that has nothing but flooring and steel beams between the two floors. I would have to run the second wire through the attic, down the interior wall on the second floor and then somehow find the right place to drill the floor so it would end up on the right interior wall space on the first floor.

The same reason I waited until the SWMLine dish was available.

I could run a second wire to the two other sets I want OTA on, though and I may do so if I can't do the merging and splitting.

#7 OFFLINE   mjones73

mjones73

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:18 AM

Some info here - http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=140037

They need to be able to pass the 2.3 Mhz SWM Comm signal, one poster is using Channel Master 4002IFD and 4001IFD diplexers.

#8 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:44 AM

Also - if you could do it, it would be better to have all of your receivers after the Power Inserter. A couple of people, including myself, lost OTA when adding any splitters/receivers between the dish and the Power Inserter.

So it would go:

Dish>minimum 15 ft cable + OTA cable >Diplexer> PI> Splitter >Diplexers>Receivers/AM21s

EDIT: In other words, try to avoid putting any splitters that go to other receivers in front of the initial Diplexed signal going into the Power Inserter.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#9 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

I really appreciate it. I have successfully "installed" two AM21's on the two main televisions in my house which have HDDVR's connected. I faithfully followed the directions so capably given to me here and it was, as suggested, a piece of cake.

Now a further question. When I looked at the back of the HD Receiver in my breakfast room (H21) it seemed to have all the connections needed to hook up my third AM21 to it. When I did, however, the setup screen does not allow for adding OTA channels. Am I stuck without OTA on that set? That is where the installer put the Power Inserter but I split the signal after it. Does that make a difference?

I suspect that I could connect it to the R22 in one of the bedrooms, but I really wanted it for that set.

Thanks again in advance.

#10 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:04 PM

I really appreciate it. I have successfully "installed" two AM21's on the two main televisions in my house which have HDDVR's connected. I faithfully followed the directions so capably given to me here and it was, as suggested, a piece of cake.

Now a further question. When I looked at the back of the HD Receiver in my breakfast room (H21) it seemed to have all the connections needed to hook up my third AM21 to it. When I did, however, the setup screen does not allow for adding OTA channels. Am I stuck without OTA on that set? That is where the installer put the Power Inserter but I split the signal after it. Does that make a difference?

I suspect that I could connect it to the R22 in one of the bedrooms, but I really wanted it for that set.

Thanks again in advance.

Hey Joe,

Can you not just use another source input?

After diplexing the OTA out just run it into the antenna port on your TV?

Joe

#11 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:19 PM

Thanks again in advance.

the AM21 is not supported on the H2x units yet. sorry, follow the advice of Joe Diamond for now
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#12 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:46 PM

I will try that. Thanks. How would that affect the sub channels like 2-2 or other "dash" channels? How could the TV tune those?

#13 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:47 PM

I will try that. Thanks. How would that affect the sub channels like 2-2 or other "dash" channels? How could the TV tune those?

you switch off the directv unit and change the settings on the TV to the tuner (For now)
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

Protected By... spam firewall...And...