Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Just got DirecTV, HR22-100, Want DOD

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mojoe

mojoe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:44 PM

Hi, I just got DirecTV have two HR22-100 recievers. I really wanted cable because I love the On Demand that my friend has and DirecTV's site says that you need a HD DVR to get there's. However, I noticed that our DVRs have ethernet ports. Am I able to get DOD? And if so, how do I?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

Hi, I just got DirecTV have two HR22-100 recievers. I really wanted cable because I love the On Demand that my friend has and DirecTV's site says that you need a HD DVR to get there's. However, I noticed that our DVRs have ethernet ports. Am I able to get DOD? And if so, how do I?

Yes, the HR22 receiver can get DOD.

You need to network the receivers. You do have Ethernet ports - use 'em! Do you have a home network? Connect the receivers to your home network, and off you go ...

#3 OFFLINE   mojoe

mojoe

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:04 PM

So I unplugged my Ethernet cable from my Xbox 360 (which I use to play online) and the HR22 won't connect to the internet. It says it connects to teh network, but not hte internet.

<e> Got it working. I had to change the slot it was plugged into o nteh router.

<e2> So I see that it can play videos/music/photo from the computer. What video files can it play? I have avis and it wouldn't play any of them (Through TVersity).

#4 OFFLINE   Cmnore

Cmnore

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:51 PM

Make sure your gateway and DNS numbers are accurate. Also, check to make sure your firewall isn't blocking the HR* from accessing the WWW.
ROOM 1:
Win7 HTPC - Athlon64 X2 4850e@2.5Gb/ ASUS M3A78-T/BDHD-DVD/ATI HD4670 - 1080p HDMI
HR22-100/AM-21
Sony KDS-60A2000 SXRD LCOS TV
Sony STR-DA5ES/Sony DVP-NS3100ES SACD/DVD

ROOM 2:
XPx64 HTPC - Athlon64 X2 5400+@ 3.2 Gb/ Biostar 790GX A2+/ATI HD4670 - 1080p HDMI
HR21-700/AM-21
Toshiba 42 inch LCD TV

BONUS ROOM:
R22/AM-21
Sony 27" CRT TV
GARAGE:
R22 SD-DVR
Sony 20" CRT TV

SHARED:
SWM-8/slimline DTV dish
Actiontec ADSL wired gateway
Linksys EG005 gigabit switch/OGV200

#5 OFFLINE   mojoe

mojoe

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:06 PM

Yeah, I got it working. It seems pretty slow to load everything though. But what type of files can I stream to it? Also, why are there 2 Ethernet ports?

#6 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

Yeah, I got it working. It seems pretty slow to load everything though. But what type of files can I stream to it? Also, why are there 2 Ethernet ports?

You can use the 2nd ethernet port as a "passthru" to your Xbox - it's basically a mini-switch in there. Then both your Xbox and the HR22 can be online at the same time ...

Cool, huh?

#7 OFFLINE   mojoe

mojoe

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:34 PM

I may have to do that. I'm really liking DOD, but its too slow. LOL I'm used to it being like instant with cable.

So what files can be transfered using Media Share? Will I be able to play AVI?

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,938 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

I may have to do that. I'm really liking DOD, but its too slow. LOL I'm used to it being like instant with cable.

If you have a fast enough internet connection, you should be able to start the download and watch with minimal buffering.

So what files can be transfered using Media Share? Will I be able to play AVI?

LPCM (audio) and MPEG2 (video). Most servers will transcode MP3 to LPCM automatically. Some can be set up to transcode other video formats to MPEG2, but it may be too much of a CPU load for older computers. There are numerous conversion programs available.

#9 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:04 PM

As Bob mentioned, depending on your connection, you can start watching as soon as the download starts. Even if you can't watch right away, you'll get used to it. You just have to plan. I rarely watch things right away anyway (even though my connection allows it). I usually download stuff to the DVR and watch it when I get the chance later.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#10 OFFLINE   j0hnnyv

j0hnnyv

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:22 PM

I have the HR21 200 but I am on a wireless network. What would have I to do, buy 2 internet connection kits? One for the router and one for my DVR? My HD DVR is upstairs from the router...

Can I make this work and will I even have a good enough connection without it being wired for it be worth my hassle and money? I get 15mbps down and 2 up with my cable...

Thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   mojoe

mojoe

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:23 PM

haha, I couldn't figure out how to watch them, but I figured it out. Its not too bad. Its much more than I expected since DirecTV.com says its HD DVRs only.

What does the back on the DVR (play/fastforward/rewind) do? I got that the forward skips 30 seconds, but can't figure out the back.

So would a program like TVersity transcode AVIs to what I need?

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:35 PM

I have the HR21 200 but I am on a wireless network. What would have I to do, buy 2 internet connection kits? One for the router and one for my DVR? My HD DVR is upstairs from the router...

Can I make this work and will I even have a good enough connection without it being wired for it be worth my hassle and money? I get 15mbps down and 2 up with my cable...

Thanks.

Yes, you can buy 2 internet connection kits, or you can buy one of THESE. You can read more about the Linksys, HERE.

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:38 PM

What does the back on the DVR (play/fastforward/rewind) do?

The button that looks like a circle with an arrow? It's instant replay. Goes back 8 seconds automatically.

In the latest software it also acts as skip to tick. Press the rewind button and then press that one and you'll jump backwards instantly to the nearest tick mark (on the progress bar). You can do the same thing going forward by pressing the ff and then the button right above it.

#14 OFFLINE   mojoe

mojoe

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:11 PM

It doesn't seem to go that for backwards, haha. But I'm liking the DirecTV so far. I wasn't sure how I'd like it compared to Dish.

#15 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:47 AM

So would a program like TVersity transcode AVIs to what I need?

Yes; but you must select the "always transcode" option from TVersity's GUI menu. It will then real time transcode all media selected to be played though the HR2x serries unit.

#16 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:17 AM

It doesn't seem to go that for backwards, haha.

Well, I never use the instant replay button so maybe it doesn't go that far back. I'm shooting from the hip.

#17 OFFLINE   mojoe

mojoe

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:22 PM

So I got it working, but it stretches widescreen videos to fill the whole screen. Any way to fix that?

#18 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

So I got it working, but it stretches widescreen videos to fill the whole screen. Any way to fix that?

Mojoe, try OnPlay from http://www.themediamall.com/playon I just starteed trying it myself and the ability to play netflix is incredible. This product has great future potential.

spam firewall