Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

cat 5 wire question

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Hotscot

Hotscot

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:56 PM

However, is there an equivalent ez connector for connecting the Cat6 to the wall plate?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   mickcris

mickcris

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:09 PM

However, is there an equivalent ez connector for connecting the Cat6 to the wall plate?

you could use something like this

http://www.techtools...ROD&ProdID=1746

#43 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:14 PM

I like these: http://www.levitonpr...dept_id_238.htm
Home Depot carries them.. very versatile..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#44 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:19 PM

that's a neat product. it would be useful to a homeowner looking to add one or two additional jacks w/o having to invest in a punchdown tool.

#45 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:25 AM

I have a bunch of these too, work pretty well and lock in place easily.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#46 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:47 AM

that's a neat product. it would be useful to a homeowner looking to add one or two additional jacks w/o having to invest in a punchdown tool.

You don’t need a punchdown tool to wire the jacks. The Leviton jacks usually come with a plastic tool in the package that works just fine. Just place the wire in the slot, then push it in place with the plastic tool, rocking it a bit to get a good connection. It won’t cut the excess wire, but that’s easily done with a sharp knife after they are all in place.

#47 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:53 AM

those little tool are pretty handy also, while not as good as a tool they are easy to carry and work good in an emergency.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#48 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:58 AM

$7 a piece! :eek2: :eek:

That is insane. TTS has horrible pricing on a lot of smaller items.

As houskamp said, you can just use the regular ones as they usually come with a little tool. If anything, you can usually just the plastic caps as a make shift punch down as well, but that sorta depends on a bit of luck and skill :P
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#49 OFFLINE   mickcris

mickcris

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:46 AM

$7 a piece! :eek2: :eek:

That is insane. TTS has horrible pricing on a lot of smaller items.

As houskamp said, you can just use the regular ones as they usually come with a little tool. If anything, you can usually just the plastic caps as a make shift punch down as well, but that sorta depends on a bit of luck and skill :P

Yea, they are pretty expensive there. I have seen them at fry's and am pretty sure they were a lot cheaper. I figured since he was looking for something "ez" it would be the easiest.

#50 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

I agree! Here is a link to the specific Home Depot modular jacks

Nice thing about these is that you can get them in different colors (though not at Home Depot). I used them throughout the house when we built. I use white for phone and blue for data. Also agree with other posters, that the little plastic tools supplied do work, though not as well as a steel bladed actual punchdown tool.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#51 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,523 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

Many PBXs are made to work on standard phone lines, but most commercial and even some residential guys are just opting to use all RJ45 jacks so they do not have to stock/carry both. Also many home phone blocks are starting to use RJ45 for the jumpers so they can be dual use (like the structured boxes from leviton, etc.)

Mixing connectors is a bad idea. Imagine some idiot plugging a VOIP phone into a conventional phone wired outlet because it used RJ45 instead of RJ48 and you begin to understand why the distinction is important. Ethernet equipment typically isn't designed to handle the 90+ VAC ring voltages of a POTS line. Gigabit Ethernet voltages go as high as 4V.

Then there is the separate issue of PoE that may find its way up to 57VDC.

Know that if the connector fits, someone somewhere is going to plug something into it that it wasn't anticipated. If you do just a little research, you'll find out quickly why they stopped using telephone handset connectors for keyboards.

#52 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:03 PM

2 years ago lost a $ 3k dollar cisco switch at work due to this. if plug fits it will be used.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#53 OFFLINE   Nabisco

Nabisco

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:57 PM

The easiest way to make patch cables is with the EZ-RJ45 connectors:

Posted Image

These things work great! You insert the wires into the connector and they stick out the end! Verify you have the proper order, pull the connector down tight, trim them off then crimp.

http://rover.ebay.co...02&toolid=10001 EZ-RJ45

Also, keep in mind that cat5 has four pairs of wires, you only need two pairs for ethernet. The blue and brown pair are not normally used so you can use them for a phone circuit or if you have a bad wire in the green or orange pair, you can use them instead.

so is this the best type to use i want all the wires to be used so no matter what i use the wire for it is the right wire combo, so i can just sit at home and make lots of different ones lengths. i am goint to use it for anything cat 5 is made for. do you have to strip the ends when you use those ez fittings? or does it strip them when you crimp them? i tried to use the cat 5 fittings i got from home depot but not good, those ez fittings look to be good, can i get them at home depot or radio shack

thanks

#54 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:59 PM

You don't have to strip the wires for any of them..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#55 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:48 PM

telephone and network connectors have prongs that crimp into the wires, no stripping required except to remove the main outer cover.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#56 OFFLINE   Nabisco

Nabisco

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:12 PM

works a lot better when you dont strip the wires, i didnt know that you dont strip them i like those ez fittings so you can get the jacket to the fitting

spam firewall