Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722 - Are there "Wishlist" timers?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hardin Thicke

Hardin Thicke

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:47 AM

I'm coming 5 years of TiVo, so the transition to the new system is rather slow; sorry. Here's what I want to do:

Let's say I know the name of a movie or other program that I want to record, but it's not in the current guide. Can I set up a timer to record that movie if it ever shows up on any channel I'm subscribed to?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:57 AM

Yes. Set a DishPass timer rather than a name based timer. A dishpass timer will always look at the new Guide data when it is received and create an event when a match is found.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   Hardin Thicke

Hardin Thicke

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:03 AM

Yes. Set a DishPass timer rather than a name based timer. A dishpass timer will always look at the new Guide data when it is received and create an event when a match is found.

Thanks, Chuck. I've avoided fooling around with DishPass because of warnings regarding it's use. I think users were using DishPass instead of setting up a standard timer. I'll take a look at it tonight. Thanks!

#4 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:41 AM

DishPass is very powerful and cool, but just be careful when setting one up, since it has the ability to record a LOT of programs very quickly if you aren't careful. :)

Use the "maximum programs to save" entry until you're sure you've got a good timer going, that is what I do.

I setup one for "Racing" one time, and before I knew it I had 40 programs recorded, lol. You have to play with it a bit.

#5 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

I'm coming 5 years of TiVo, so the transition to the new system is rather slow; sorry. Here's what I want to do:

Let's say I know the name of a movie or other program that I want to record, but it's not in the current guide. Can I set up a timer to record that movie if it ever shows up on any channel I'm subscribed to?

I find DISHPASS to be a very limited version of "Wishlist." Just as an example, on my DirecTIVO box, I was able to set up a wishlist that specified "Sports/Hockey - Islanders." Dishpast doesn't allow that kind fo specificity. So, I tell it to get all programs with "NY Islanders" in it. That results in a 9 hour block of blank HD time being recorded - which are the 9 hours the program guide broadcasts "Coming up: Ny Islanders vs......".

The closet thing to a Wishlist in fuctionality is actually the seach button (hit the button on the remote). But, I've not found anyway to set it up so that the search is "automatic." So, I've taken to manually searching for all Islander games at the start of each week. Pain in the A, if you ask me.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...