Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bismarck Locals

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nd bronco fan

nd bronco fan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:28 AM

I have searched this forum, other forums, the fcc website and I can not find anything related to KNDX Fox 26 (26.1) on when they are going to go digital.

I have been hearing rumblings from the local cable company that they will be doing it here shortly but I assume there would be a filing with the FCC that if they were going to go digital before the flash cut date.

Does anyone have a site they go to check this kind of stuff? Or can they flash cut any time once they get FCC approval.

Local cable company rumor for a few weeks back was before the end of October, I dont like to believe rumors so I tried researching it myself and can not find anything.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,796 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:14 AM

You're on the wrong forum - go here , look for your local forum, and ask
http://www.avsforum....isplay.php?f=45

Or you can do search on the FCC's website for their filed form 387 that every fullpower broadcaster was supposed to file detailing their plans for the conversion.\

Wasn't able to find you a good link - however, here's what they have on file
http://www.fcc.gov/f...=&slon2=&size=9

Looks to me like they plan on flash cutting from 26 analog to 26 digital.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

Does anyone have a site they go to check this kind of stuff? Or can they flash cut any time once they get FCC approval.

Flash cut implies they will cut from analog to digital. They won't be able to turn off their analog transmitter before February, and after February tvfool.com shows their digital channel assignment to be the same as their analog: 26. So unless they have an interim digital channel assignment (I can't find anything) it looks like you'll have to wait until next year.

#4 OFFLINE   nd bronco fan

nd bronco fan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:33 AM

Thanks scott, I probably should have posted over there but since I am a satellite subscriber and have to pull my locals in OTA to watch along with Directv and I have had good success with knowledgable people here I thought this was a better chance since there are some pretty hooked up people.

#5 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:38 PM

Flash cut implies they will cut from analog to digital. They won't be able to turn off their analog transmitter before February, and after February tvfool.com shows their digital channel assignment to be the same as their analog: 26. So unless they have an interim digital channel assignment (I can't find anything) it looks like you'll have to wait until next year.

Not necessarily so.

They can ask the FCC for permission to terminate analog now.

KLBY in Colby, Kansas has already stopped analog broadcasting on channel 4, and are exclusively digital on RF channel 17.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#6 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

Not necessarily so.

They can ask the FCC for permission to terminate analog now.

KLBY in Colby, Kansas has already stopped analog broadcasting on channel 4, and are exclusively digital on RF channel 17.

Interesting. I have to say, I have wondered what would happen if a station's $40,000 final tube died from their analog transmitter with less than 3 or 6 months to go. Would the FCC let them terminate early or make them spend the money for a tube that will be worthless to them in February? I know the station I used to work for is trying to eak out every last electron from their finals before February. And there's no way the GM will buy a new spare in 2008.

Do you know if it was something similar with KLBY?

#7 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,796 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:08 PM

Interesting. I have to say, I have wondered what would happen if a station's $40,000 final tube died from their analog transmitter with less than 3 or 6 months to go. Would the FCC let them terminate early or make them spend the money for a tube that will be worthless to them in February? I know the station I used to work for is trying to eak out every last electron from their finals before February. And there's no way the GM will buy a new spare in 2008.

The FCC would have no problem at all with the station just terminating analog early in that case - just notify them of what happened.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#8 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:37 PM

No.

They wanted to put a new channel 17 antenna on top of the tower, and dispose of the channel 4 one, and go ahead and remove the old "plumbing".

They are part of a network of 3 full and 4 low power stations, and want to be done with NW Kansas, so they can work elsewhere.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#9 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

Would the FCC let them terminate early or make them spend the money for a tube that will be worthless to them in February?

Analog stations may go dark or reduce power after November 19th, 2008. To do so they must give the FCC 30 days advance notice and run crawls or promos for 30 days alerting their viewers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...