Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Channel listings GONE after downgrading

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tedb3rd

tedb3rd

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:38 AM

A few months back I called DN to cancel Starz. When I did, the channels were (of course) disabled for viewing. However, the channels were COMPLETELY removed--can't even see them on the guide (custom lists nor the defaults 'all sub' 'all channels', 'all HD'). I double checked under the blocks and the channels are not listed as an option to check/uncheck.

Yesterday, I dropped HBO channels too and the same thing happened. HD channel listings are completely gone and not an option under channel locks.

Has anybody else experienced this isssue? Is this a general 622 software bug or do I have a freak receiever?

I would like to, at least, see 'all channels' when I select it. Call it obsessive and/or anal, but that drives me nuts that it does that... because is shouldn't. In the future (when my stocks are worth something again), if I want to upgrade and get the channels back--I'm not happy if those channels don't reappear!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:27 AM

A few months back I called DN to cancel Starz. When I did, the channels were (of course) disabled for viewing. However, the channels were COMPLETELY removed--can't even see them on the guide (custom lists nor the defaults 'all sub' 'all channels', 'all HD'). I double checked under the blocks and the channels are not listed as an option to check/uncheck.

Yesterday, I dropped HBO channels too and the same thing happened. HD channel listings are completely gone and not an option under channel locks.

Has anybody else experienced this isssue? Is this a general 622 software bug or do I have a freak receiever?

I would like to, at least, see 'all channels' when I select it. Call it obsessive and/or anal, but that drives me nuts that it does that... because is shouldn't. In the future (when my stocks are worth something again), if I want to upgrade and get the channels back--I'm not happy if those channels don't reappear!!

Don't worry. If you are willing to wait for stocks to be worth something again, DISH going to have a lot of time to sort all this out. :eek2:

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:52 PM

Some channels remain RED in the guide when not subscribed, others are intentionally hidden. It shouldn't make a difference if you don't subscribe to them since you can't view them anyway. This is by design, although I don't know why they aren't consistent about it.

One exception, though, are the green channels that you do not subscribe to but can highlight and subscribe via the remote to activate.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   tedb3rd

tedb3rd

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:02 PM

I have seen the 'click here to subscribe' channels in the past but I have Top250+HD so there wasn't a whole lot. I think the STARZ channels were like that... but I had subscribed to Starz and HBO for over a year so don't really recall. I have 118.7 reception so there are tons of stations that I can see in the guide but don't subscribe to. I used to have the German feeds but I downgraded those about 6 months ago. When I did that, the channels did not completely disappear--they are still visible when I filter by all channels.

The funny thing is: Only the channels that have an HD and non-HD channel equivalent disappeared. When I downgraded most recently, I also dropped the HD platinum (?) with Smithsonian and those few others. I downgraded in the same phone coversation with CSR. Smithsonian and those are still visible in the guide (and I get the expected 'not subscribed to...' message when I attempt to select it)... but the HBO and STARZ channels with HD eqivalents are vanished as though Dish does not carry them period.

...and my other thing is... I want to be able to see them when they do the free preview weekends!

#5 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

...and my other thing is... I want to be able to see them when they do the free preview weekends!

I believe the free preview channels are a different number than the subscription channels. Not sure where, though.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#6 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

the free previews are usually on a separate channel I think.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#7 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:57 PM

Dish stopped the special preview channels back in the summer or spring, now they just make the channel available to all subs and advertize it on channel 102 or something like that. It saves bandwidth, no duplication (of course they could have been mapdowns).
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,584 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:31 PM

They were just duplicate mappings of the same bandwidth. Not "mapdowns" in the same sense that locals and HDs are mapped down, but mirrors in the sense that the same bandwidth is used to serve multiple dial positions.

Now, as noted, DISH has just been turning on the "real" channel during previews ... which doesn't help those who lock/hide unsubscribed channels (unless they find out somewhere that the channel is in preview and unlock it) but does lessen the confusion of having extra channels that come and go.

spam firewall