Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Legend of the Seeker: Series Premier OAD 11/1/2008

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:40 PM

A two part premier of the new series "Legend of the Seeker" will occur Saturday. From Wikipedia:

Legend of the Seeker is a live-action weekly television series based on The Sword of Truth novels by Terry Goodkind. Distributed in domestic syndication by Disney-ABC Domestic Television, ABC Studios is producing the series, which is its first foray into broadcast syndication....

The series follows the epic journey of a young woods guide named Richard Cypher (played by Craig Horner) and a mysterious woman named Kahlan Amnell (played by Bridget Regan) to stop a vengeful wizard from unleashing an ancient and terrifying power.

...Production is currently taking place on location in New Zealand. A large portion of the first episode was filmed in Lion Park, just outside of Auckland....

Because it's syndicated, it is offered on an independent or affiliated channel in each area of the country, though not in all DMA's. And, of course, it may not be available from your local channel in HD. But do not despair as it is offered nationally on WGN starting at 5 pm EDT (also see schedules for KTLA and WPIX). It will be repeated on Sunday.

The show has an official web site where you can put in your Zip Code to find out which local channel it is on. There is also a 10-minute preview video that was presented earlier this month on a 30-minute special hosted by Lucy Lawless. An unofficial web site is also up and running.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,375 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:46 PM

Just a reminder that this is coming up Saturday. Reviews have been...ah...mixed? But it is the pilot and we all know pilots today have to be crammed with everything. Typical are these comments from Variety:

The producing team of Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert enjoyed considerable success a few years back with "Hercules" and "Xena,"....

...There's nothing howlingly bad here (except perhaps for a few of the supporting performances), but nothing particularly distinctive, either. Rather, "Legend of the Seeker" feels like a hodgepodge of better sci-fi/fantasy fare, including slow-motion action sequences that looked way-cool in "300" and this time around merely feel like a cheap way of ensuring nobody gets clipped by an errant sword.

Disney is producing and distributing the 22-episode order, which in light of the show's youth-oriented qualities could easily have played on one of the studio's cable platforms. Thus exploring the wilds of firstrun syndication is probably the most daring aspect of "Seeker's" familiar quest.

But I'm a great deal less jaded than many reviewers and feel more like these comments in TV Squad:

Wow, "syndicated adventure series." Whatever happened to all of those cheesy syndicated adventure shows that used to dot the television landscape?...There aren't too many of them anymore, replaced by reality, home improvement, court shows, and talk shows, or not replaced at all.

...It sounds silly and over the top and Legend of the Seeker is a horrible title (unless you're making a kids video game or a follow-up to the self-help book The Secret), but this could actually be a lot of fun....

Personally, I like traditional fantasy over reality TV which is not only fantasy but frequently a depressing attempt to provide escapist entertainment. I prefer evil wizards to Donald Trump.

#3 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:26 PM

I prefer evil wizards to Donald Trump.

I thought The Donald was an evil wizard. :D
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#4 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:34 PM

tried the website with my zip code, of course they showed a Nashville station.

:rant: I am in Tennessee, (the only Tennessee county forced to watch Huntsville, Alabama political commercials). Please call your congressman and free me from the clutches of Alabama television.:rant:
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#5 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

I have a hard time seeing some of the things from the Sword of Truth novels making it onto network tv....the Mord-Sith for one....then again, a lot of things are shown on network tv these days.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,375 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:29 AM

I have a hard time seeing some of the things from the Sword of Truth novels making it onto network tv....the Mord-Sith for one....then again, a lot of things are shown on network tv these days.

Since I know nothing about the novels I looked up the Mord-Sith in Wikipedia:

Mord-Sith wear skin-tight leather outfits. They usually wear brown leather, but when they are training a captive, they wear red, because it hides the blood of their victims better. When a Mord-Sith has broken a victim, and has him completely obedient to her whim, and chooses her "pet" to be the her mate she wears white. The leather uniform always has a crescent and a star on it, as the symbol of the Mord-Sith. In addition, a Mord-Sith always wears her hair in a single, long braid.

Hmmmmmm. So I then had to look up the entry on the novels:

The Sword of Truth series is written with an adult audience in mind. There are sections in which topics such as philosophy are addressed at a level beyond the interest of most younger readers, as well as frank depictions of the sometimes brutal and violent nature of life in a medieval world. Goodkind himself has stated that he wrote the books with mature adults in mind, not children or those seeking to escape reality.

There's a whole lot more.

Well, now. I guess maybe the show isn't on Disney for a reason? I'll be real curious if it attempts to in any way head off into philosophy. The show is based on the first book only, Wizard's First Rule. Again, looking to Wikipedia I discovered the Wizards First Rule:

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true."

"Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!", said Gomer. I don't expect that bit of wisdom to appear in the Disney version, even in syndication. But we'll see. In the meantime, off to Amazon to find these subversive books with all their perversions before they are all burned....:grin:

In the meantime, there is a decent review of the show in the LA Times.

#7 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:11 AM

Very very good books *nod nod nod* :D
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#8 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

I'm still hoping that they will be true to the books and not completely PC'afy them.
Off the top of my head, I can think of several things that may get cut in the need to be PC.

1. Rape/abuse of women/women as property - There's a lot of it in the series. At some points, it was overwhelming.

2. Richard's whole philosophy that "You're on your own. The only person that can take care of you is yourself. Any government/leader that says the needs of the many outweigh your needs is lying to you because they want to keep under control."

3. Richards other philosophy that "You're either with us or against us; there is no middle ground or grey area. If you want to sit in the middle or preach peace to both sides, you are aiding those who would kill us and therefore, you are against us. If you stand between us and them, we won't go out of our way to save you and we won't hesitate to kill you if you get in the way."

4. Mord-Sith. I'll be interested to see how much background they give on them and how they were trained.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#9 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:25 PM

It's on WGN National, worth a look...
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#10 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:38 PM

OMG!!! DUDE! SO EXCITED!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these books - although I have not finished the series.
There are two kinds of Strength: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of Power: The power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked.

#11 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:32 PM

It was very good here in Portland, Oregon. Our CW channel is on satellite in HD and the picture quality was great. The acting and the special effects were much better than the Sci-Fi channel's movies. And as with Xena the spectacular scenery of New Zealand was used to good effect.
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#12 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,375 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:49 AM

It was very good here in Portland, Oregon. Our CW channel is on satellite in HD and the picture quality was great. The acting and the special effects were much better than the Sci-Fi channel's movies. And as with Xena the spectacular scenery of New Zealand was used to good effect.

I agree that it was much better than a Sci-Fi channel movie, but that's a pretty low standard. Considering the two hours was the pilot that had to lay the groundwork for a complicated series, it was OK.

For reasons only known to the TV Gods, the first showing on WGNHD (on Dish, at least) missed a few seconds of the opening scene and they showed the first 43 minutes in 4:3 switching to 16:9 after a commercial.:nono2:

The Bay Area CW is in SD, but its sister station, a Fox affiliate, is in HD and is airing it from 12-2 am this morning. I'm recording that out of curiosity.

The scenery, special effects, and other production values are good. While they did squeeze in a little humor, this appears likely to be more serious show than Xena but I could be wrong.

I was very surprised that the following quote did appear:

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true."

With that said, if you are a true fan of the books, you're going to have to pretend the pilot is not based on them or you'll likely be disappointed. Whether they actually incorporate more of the books in later episodes, who knows?

#13 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:50 AM

They broadcast it here at 12:05AM, but of course started it 35 minutes late, so even with the show padded 30 minutes, we missed the last 5 minutes; I'm re-recording ep 2 again tonight so we'll catch those 5 minutes. I suspect, however, if we really want to watch this show, we basically need to pad an hour every week, basically doubling how much space the show takes up on the DVR.

It is pretty good, though, so it is probably worth doing so. I did read the books, and I prefer the television show, actually.

#14 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

Yep, if you have read the books, you spend the entire time screaming in your head the plot it all wrong.

I don't know if I can keep watching it. It is nothing like the books.
There are two kinds of Strength: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of Power: The power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked.

#15 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:57 AM

Yep, if you have read the books, you spend the entire time screaming in your head the plot it all wrong.

I don't know if I can keep watching it. It is nothing like the books.

I wouldn't say its all wrong. I think they're just cutting corners on some of the parts of it that really aren't as significant. I'm looking at it as something totally separate from the book, not trying to nitpick, and I liked it. That or I'm completely missing something that was integral to the original storyline (it has been a while since I read the book). The only big thing that I'm wondering how they'll handle is the Book of Counted Shadows and him not having memorized it yet.

-Puck

#16 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:40 PM

I wouldn't say its all wrong. I think they're just cutting corners on some of the parts of it that really aren't as significant. I'm looking at it as something totally separate from the book, not trying to nitpick, and I liked it. That or I'm completely missing something that was integral to the original storyline (it has been a while since I read the book). The only big thing that I'm wondering how they'll handle is the Book of Counted Shadows and him not having memorized it yet.

I agree, I think this is going to end up being something based loosely on the series. I also think buring the book is going to be a pretty big thing to get around without completely re-writing the story. Did anyone notice that they got rid of the "pain" he would feel when he killed someone with the sword.

Was it just my recording, or did anyone else notice the few 30 seconds of dead air going into and comming out of some of the commercial breaks. It's almost like CW in Houston didn't have enough advertising so they just left blank 30 second blocks.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#17 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:25 PM

Well, I was looking at the episode list at the website and one of them is labeled "Denna." So we will see how they tie in the Mord Sith.

They could have at least picked actors that fit the descriptions!

#18 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:07 AM

They could have at least picked actors that fit the descriptions!

That bothered me as well; it's been several years since I read any of the books, but I distinctly remember Khalen (sp?) being blond and Richard being a very large man.

#19 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

Generally, I'm more concerned about acting ability than 100% conformance to appearance specs.

#20 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:39 AM

That bothered me as well; it's been several years since I read any of the books, but I distinctly remember Khalen (sp?) being blond and Richard being a very large man.

Exactly. and Darken Rahl was a blonde haired blue eyed beauty - and where are his scars?

I am watching the second part right now - Richard chasing after the book - ...Rahl is using a journey book which is interesting considering they are not introduced to later in the book series.

spam firewall