Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone with 7.1 Setup

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

Hey Guys,
I currently have a 5.1 setup and am going to upgrade my A/V Receiver and add 2 side surrounds (my current 5.1 surrounds are really rear surrounds - it's the way it was pre-wired) so I can support TrueHD and dts-Master from BRD.

Can those of you with 7.1 setups chime in with comments on its performance and whether you're happy you have such a setup?

Thanks
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

Hey Brother, go with a Denon A/V Receiver... I personally own 2 of the AVR-3808, and install a lot of them.

I think 1909 series now has DTS HD MASTER and Dolby True HD Decoding and is only like $650.00 retail.

I've never had a Denon go bust in the last 4 years

#3 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:38 AM

I love my 7.1 setup. Its worth the upgrade to me. It gives you a much more immersion with the 2 extra channels. I don't know what your preferences are but might I suggest this receiver http://www.crutchfie...&omnews=6694910 and if you are getting new speakers Klipsch if your on a budget but if money is no object Definitive Technology. The Sony receiver is on sale for almost half price right now!

#4 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:38 AM

Thanks man. How bout the 7.1 setup itself?

In other words, I've always been pretty happy with the setup and sound quality of my 5.1, which is 2 main, center, sub, and 2 rear (the rear was pre-wired that way so no sides).

Without an A/V supporting T-HD and dts-M, I can get stuck having to go back to PCM on BRDs (you may remember this from before ;) )

So my question is, by adding 2 sides and going to full 7.1, how does that compare as an experience to 5.1 in your opinions?
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#5 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:42 AM

I love it when I watch Pirates 3 on Blu-ray the 2 extra channels really do a great job. 7.1 in my opinion its worth it.

#6 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:59 AM

Thanks Brandon. The link to that Sony is priced well, but as I'm not really in the market for receivers at that level, I'm thinking about maybe just getting the DG820 at about $329.

Looks like the one you linked as the next levels of DTS, plus the Dolbys, THXs etc.

Is there any expectation we can make that at least for the near future consumer market, TrueHD and dts-M will be standard on BRDs? They seem to be the 2 I see the most often on BRDs.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#7 OFFLINE   Cmnore

Cmnore

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:03 PM

What size is the room your theater is in? I have yet to find a reason for me to even go 6.1, let alone 7.1. My theater(LR) isn't really long enough for me to hear any 'gap' in the room's center, which is the only reason I would ever add ambient fill(7.1). TETO.
ROOM 1:
Win7 HTPC - Athlon64 X2 4850e@2.5Gb/ ASUS M3A78-T/BDHD-DVD/ATI HD4670 - 1080p HDMI
HR22-100/AM-21
Sony KDS-60A2000 SXRD LCOS TV
Sony STR-DA5ES/Sony DVP-NS3100ES SACD/DVD

ROOM 2:
XPx64 HTPC - Athlon64 X2 5400+@ 3.2 Gb/ Biostar 790GX A2+/ATI HD4670 - 1080p HDMI
HR21-700/AM-21
Toshiba 42 inch LCD TV

BONUS ROOM:
R22/AM-21
Sony 27" CRT TV
GARAGE:
R22 SD-DVR
Sony 20" CRT TV

SHARED:
SWM-8/slimline DTV dish
Actiontec ADSL wired gateway
Linksys EG005 gigabit switch/OGV200

#8 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:24 PM

Thanks Brandon. The link to that Sony is priced well, but as I'm not really in the market for receivers at that level, I'm thinking about maybe just getting the DG820 at about $329.

Looks like the one you linked as the next levels of DTS, plus the Dolbys, THXs etc.

Is there any expectation we can make that at least for the near future consumer market, TrueHD and dts-M will be standard on BRDs? They seem to be the 2 I see the most often on BRDs.

Yep Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master is key, you can buy a Blu-ray player that decodes it internally with analog ouputs (EXT IN on your receiver) but it's always better to have the receiver do it for you in my opinion. Dolby True HD, DTS HD Master, and PCM 7.1 is where it's at.

I wouldn't buy a A/V receiver without the decoding now, you'd only be upgrading again later.

#9 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:09 PM

I am partial to Yamaha receivers myself (higher end ones).

Onkyo, Denon, and Harmon-Kardon you cannot really go wrong with though either.

Just becareful about some of the lower end receivers, many times they are just receivers from HTIB systems and are really quite cheaply made. You can find good deals on high end receivers many times in the clearance and refurb areas on manufactures sites though, Yamaha has a great clearance/refurb area.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#10 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:26 PM

The room is 26 x 16 and I sit parallel with the 16, so "shortside". 50" DLP is 10 ft away as are 2 mains, center, and sub. 2 rears are behind and above about 5 ft. The added sides would be mounted about 5-6 ft away at ear level (seated)

What size is the room your theater is in? I have yet to find a reason for me to even go 6.1, let alone 7.1. My theater(LR) isn't really long enough for me to hear any 'gap' in the room's center, which is the only reason I would ever add ambient fill(7.1). TETO.

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#11 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:27 PM

Thanks Dre. The cheaper Sony does have those decoders in it, and I have a PS3 with no plans to change BRD players for now.

Yep Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master is key, you can buy a Blu-ray player that decodes it internally with analog ouputs (EXT IN on your receiver) but it's always better to have the receiver do it for you in my opinion. Dolby True HD, DTS HD Master, and PCM 7.1 is where it's at.

I wouldn't buy a A/V receiver without the decoding now, you'd only be upgrading again later.

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#12 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:30 PM

OK thanks grentz. IN the case of this Sony, it looks like there are 2 models below it in the line, which are basically still 5.1s, so I would think they'd be in the HTIB setups. Hopefully I'd be paying just enough to move above that level. This 820 also has 4 HDMI so not too bad. My TV is 1080p but has no 1080p/24 so not worried about needing any cross/upconversions within the receiver.

I am partial to Yamaha receivers myself (higher end ones).

Onkyo, Denon, and Harmon-Kardon you cannot really go wrong with though either.

Just becareful about some of the lower end receivers, many times they are just receivers from HTIB systems and are really quite cheaply made. You can find good deals on high end receivers many times in the clearance and refurb areas on manufactures sites though, Yamaha has a great clearance/refurb area.

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#13 OFFLINE   Cmnore

Cmnore

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:39 PM

I've been a SONY-phile for years, but I'm a realist as well. DOn't buy a SONY if it's not an ES model. Pricier - yes, but worth the $$$ IMHO. I have one from '03 and I won't be upgrading it anytime soon. It's a 51 pound TANK. Yes - it is pre-HDMI, but I bought the receiver for audio reasons. It has two 5.1 analog inputs and 1 7.1, so should I buy myself a BD player it will need to have internal decoders(like the PS3 does). You could find an EXCELLENT NOS receiver with a similar setup for a serious discount if you didn't require HDMI switching on the receiver.
ROOM 1:
Win7 HTPC - Athlon64 X2 4850e@2.5Gb/ ASUS M3A78-T/BDHD-DVD/ATI HD4670 - 1080p HDMI
HR22-100/AM-21
Sony KDS-60A2000 SXRD LCOS TV
Sony STR-DA5ES/Sony DVP-NS3100ES SACD/DVD

ROOM 2:
XPx64 HTPC - Athlon64 X2 5400+@ 3.2 Gb/ Biostar 790GX A2+/ATI HD4670 - 1080p HDMI
HR21-700/AM-21
Toshiba 42 inch LCD TV

BONUS ROOM:
R22/AM-21
Sony 27" CRT TV
GARAGE:
R22 SD-DVR
Sony 20" CRT TV

SHARED:
SWM-8/slimline DTV dish
Actiontec ADSL wired gateway
Linksys EG005 gigabit switch/OGV200

#14 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:01 PM

I've had 7.1 for 4 years now in my HT (and 5.1 in the living room) and would never even consider 5.1 for any real movie watching.

7.1 is much better.

BTW, your sides should be 2' above ear level (and your rears) and slightly behind the seating area, angled in.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#15 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:05 PM

That's another option - go with one that has the decoders, but not the HDMI switching. The various combos of those 2 factors definitely reflect in the prices.

I've been a SONY-phile for years, but I'm a realist as well. DOn't buy a SONY if it's not an ES model. Pricier - yes, but worth the $$$ IMHO. I have one from '03 and I won't be upgrading it anytime soon. It's a 51 pound TANK. Yes - it is pre-HDMI, but I bought the receiver for audio reasons. It has two 5.1 analog inputs and 1 7.1, so should I buy myself a BD player it will need to have internal decoders(like the PS3 does). You could find an EXCELLENT NOS receiver with a similar setup for a serious discount if you didn't require HDMI switching on the receiver.

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#16 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:07 PM

thanks stew. the rears are in a very good spot then for 7.1 (slightly high but only 1 foot or so). I'll make sure to mount the sides 2' above seated ear level.

I've had 7.1 for 4 years now in my HT (and 5.1 in the living room) and would never even consider 5.1 for any real movie watching.

7.1 is much better.

BTW, your sides should be 2' above ear level (and your rears) and slightly behind the seating area, angled in.

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#17 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:21 PM

Sorry, I just finished a post over at AVS regarding 5.1.

The sides do not need to be slightly behind in a 7.1 set up. They can be directly to the sides and facing each other.

#18 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:23 PM

thanks stew. the rears are in a very good spot then for 7.1 (slightly high but only 1 foot or so).

My sides are a bit too high (7'), so I just angled them down slightly (not right at the listening area, but about 1' above) and it works well for me.

#19 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:08 PM

Oh no prob. I actually read your post as referring to the rears being behind and angled, which my rears are.

The sides will go on the sides as you described :)

Sorry, I just finished a post over at AVS regarding 5.1.

The sides do not need to be slightly behind in a 7.1 set up. They can be directly to the sides and facing each other.

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#20 OFFLINE   compac

compac

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:41 PM

Hey Im just starting to think about adding a sound system to an HD tv set up... Won't 5.1 be a leap a head of the TV's built in speakers

BTW, Do I really need to have a separate Rec'er/Amp or will a Speaker bar setup be able to give me basic 5.1

It it reasonable to keep the sound system to ~ $200?? (sarcastic)
July 2009 HD locals;dma 67, D* ...
HR20, HDMI connected DLP 62" MITSU

HR22-100, works well, TOSHIBA REGZA 32" 1080p HD LCDTV 32RV530U

vod, D*2PC, edgecutter, sometimes

Protected By... spam firewall...And...