Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone with 7.1 Setup

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

I would love to do 7.1 but my problem is my couch sits up against the wall, and I would have to mount the back surrounds on the wall angled down. Probably not the best way to go, not to mention the WAF also!
DirecTV Customer since 1995
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
Directv/ HD-DVR HR24-500 (2)
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder
NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,448 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

I would love to do 7.1 but my problem is my couch sits up against the wall, and I would have to mount the back surrounds on the wall angled down. Probably not the best way to go, not to mention the WAF also!

Since the back surrounds provide ambiance for effects, wall mounted would be fine -- typically 2 to 3 feet above listener's head level. You definitely would not want to have them pointing straight down. I have two 6.1 systems, and in both cases, the seating is against the wall. The rear surround in both cases is 4 to 5 feet above head level. Not really desirable, but I had no choice. The speakers are angled down about 45 degrees below the horizontal.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#43 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

Since the back surrounds provide ambiance for effects, wall mounted would be fine --

I don't think his issue was the wall mounting. It was the fact that his seating is up against the rear wall and the recommendation when using 7.1 is to have the rears 4' - 5' behind you.

That being said, everyone has to make compromises.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#44 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:46 AM

I don't think his issue was the wall mounting. It was the fact that his seating is up against the rear wall and the recommendation when using 7.1 is to have the rears 4' - 5' behind you.

I agree completely that most of us have to make compromises. In my case, I had to make a number of them due to the shape and configuration of my room. Take a look at the diagram below:

Posted Image

The above 20'x20' room has a LOT of glass on the three exposed walls, making wall mounting of the surround speakers difficult -- if not impossible. The open doorway near the TV makes centering the TV impossible. The placement of the couch at the rear makes it a bit too close to the rear surrounds. Although I could fix this by moving the couch forward a bit more, I haven't done it yet to keep peace in the family ;)

Even with all of those compromises, the sound is pretty good. The auto-calibration program (YPAO) in my Yamaha RX-V663 seems to smooth out the issues fairly well.
Links: My System Diagram | System Pix
Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.

#45 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:36 AM

I understood that. I have a similar situation to the OP, and have to deal with the rears and surround not being more that 2 feet behind the listener. Further, because of a passthru to the kitchen, the speakers are about 8 feet above floor level. Certainly not a good situation, but we make the best of it. :eek2::(

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#46 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

In my case, I have stadium seating and my back row is "elevated" higher than my front row of seating. My rear speakers on my 7.1 setup are above and slightly behind the rear seating.

My Onkyo v989 receiver allows me to perfectly balance all the speakers. I actually had it done originally with a pro using a sound meter. Harmonics in the room were virtually eliminated.

Edited by hdtvfan0001, 03 April 2009 - 01:40 PM.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#47 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

Is there any kind of wireless solution for the rear surrounds?
DirecTV Customer since 1995
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
Directv/ HD-DVR HR24-500 (2)
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder
NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber

#48 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

Is there any kind of wireless solution for the rear surrounds?

The only thing I have seen to date is in the form of Home Theater in a Box (HTIB) systems. Several manufacturers have models with wireless rears.

Charlie
--------------------

#49 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:26 AM

I have seen 1-2 wireless speaker setups, but honestly, interference and performance would be 2 of the issues I'd have to research further.

If you google wireless speakers, there are some options out there, but personally, I would not take that approach.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...