Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I wish VIP could share or use NAS

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RobbieB

RobbieB

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:58 PM

It's cool that they finally support external hard drives, but it would be even better if 2 DVR's on the same network could share/stream content between each other.

So you could have your primary DVR in your main living area that you probably use both tuners for recording non stop, and then maybe one in your or other bedrooms that you record different programming on.

Or if you had network storage watch the shows that are saved on that device. It seems like there would be enough bandwidth on a traditional 100mbps network. It was my understanding that an HD signal was only about 15-30 mbps (I'm guessing this is probably 1080i) but even if it was a little higher there is still plenty of bandwidth to go around.

#2 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

It's cool that they finally support external hard drives, but it would be even better if 2 DVR's on the same network could share/stream content between each other.

So you could have your primary DVR in your main living area that you probably use both tuners for recording non stop, and then maybe one in your or other bedrooms that you record different programming on.

Or if you had network storage watch the shows that are saved on that device. It seems like there would be enough bandwidth on a traditional 100mbps network. It was my understanding that an HD signal was only about 15-30 mbps (I'm guessing this is probably 1080i) but even if it was a little higher there is still plenty of bandwidth to go around.

Because the outputs are all "hot" on the VIP722, one partial solution to what you are saying might be to have too DVRs, and then run outputs from each to two different sets. That way, all six tuners could be blazing at once, and you'd have programming from both DVRs available on both sets.

#3 OFFLINE   RobbieB

RobbieB

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:51 PM

Are you saying that technically I could have a tv plugged into each of the outputs, 1 HDMI, 1 Component, 1 S-Video, 1 RCA, 1 COAX distribution. I didn't know that, that's pretty neat. Does that only work if the DVR is NOT in dual mode?

I wouldn't be interested in running 20+ feet of any kind of cable though so I guess I gotta wait. I guess I'm just really complaining here. They have the hardware to do it, seems like it wouldn't take much to support it.

I love the Dish DVR. comcast/charter don't even give it competition. Can't say much for DTV cause I have never used their DVR but I have used TiVo but I still like Dish better.

Dish DVR>Tivo>charter/comcast

#4 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

Are you saying that technically I could have a tv plugged into each of the outputs, 1 HDMI, 1 Component, 1 S-Video, 1 RCA, 1 COAX distribution. I didn't know that, that's pretty neat. Does that only work if the DVR is NOT in dual mode?

That is right, you can have a TV plugged into every output.

Works in single and dual mode. Somebody here might correct me if I am wrong, but I think that in dual mode, all the ouputs would be associated with TV1 EXCEPT the coax output.

#5 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

Works in single and dual mode. Somebody here might correct me if I am wrong, but I think that in dual mode, all the ouputs would be associated with TV1 EXCEPT the coax output.

There's an RCA output for tv2 as well. So the tv2 RCA connection, and the coax connection would both be for tv2, though you can make the coax work for tv1 as well.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#6 OFFLINE   Apure

Apure

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

The feature originally brought up by RobbieB, the ability to either be able to watch a show from any dvr within the account or to directly transfer shows between dvrs via Ethernet connection, is something I think should be implemented.

#7 OFFLINE   JRath

JRath

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

What would really be cool is if a ViP211 could access recorded content from a DVR over the nework. I have had several occasions where that would have come in handy...

#8 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:22 PM

There's an RCA output for tv2 as well. So the tv2 RCA connection, and the coax connection would both be for tv2, though you can make the coax work for tv1 as well.

Thanks Puck! I can always count on you for useful info.

#9 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:24 AM

What would really be cool is if a ViP211 could access recorded content from a DVR over the nework. I have had several occasions where that would have come in handy...

I think FiOS does something like that, except if the content was originally recorded in HD and your 2nd STB is SD then you can't access it even though it shows up in the DVR menu. So if you don't know in advance where you want to watch it you have to record it twice...

There is also a charge for each STB, and the HD DVR rental fee is a lot higher than for a 622/722.

You could also enable the EHD on your account and transfer content between boxes via sneakernet. Then there are various HDMI --> cat5e/cat6 converters. And "wireless HD" is supposed to be right over the horizon. I know Monster was supposed to release something in Oct. but I haven't seen anything recently and today is Halloween...

-Chris
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#10 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:50 AM

Isn' t there some kind of slingbox solution? Slingbox was advertising this setup where you could use a Slingbox for the typical reasons with HD programming, and it also had some kind of option that allowed broadcasting of HD content from set to set.

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:35 AM

See Sling Media Slingbox Pro-HD.

#12 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:35 AM

Isn' t there some kind of slingbox solution? Slingbox was advertising this setup where you could use a Slingbox for the typical reasons with HD programming, and it also had some kind of option that allowed broadcasting of HD content from set to set.

The sling catcher would do that I believe
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

spam firewall