Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ZDNet: Blu-ray is dead - heckuva job, Sony!

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:28 PM

From ZDNet:

Blu-ray is dead - heckuva job, Sony!

Blu-ray is in a death spiral. 12 months from now Blu-ray will be a videophile niche, not a mass market product.

With only a 4% share of US movie disc sales and HD download capability arriving, the Blu-ray disc Association (BDA) is still smoking dope. Even $150 Blu-ray players won’t save it.

16 months ago I called the HD war for Blu-ray. My bad. Who dreamed they could both lose?

FULL ARTICLE HERE

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:34 PM

Hmmm....I like Blu-ray myself. I hope this just causes more price drops.

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#3 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,494 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:18 AM

Two things are hurting Blu-ray sales: high price of Blu-ray discs and upconverting DVD players. When people can buy widescreen DVD's for half the cost of Blu-ray product and play them back at near HD quality, why buy Blu-ray? The BDA is shooting itself in the foot by enforcing high prices in general.In retrospect, Hollywood's paranoia about copying killed HD DVD, which was a less expensive approach to high quality DVD's.

I'm seriously considering joining Netflix for obtaining movies for home viewing.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:26 AM

Time will tell. I think it's too early to say Blu-Ray is dead or dying. I think we all agree "real" media will probably lose to downloadable product but there is a question of when.

sub-$100 BD players are very likely by spring IMO and I see most BD new releases only $2-3 more than comparable DVDs.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:28 AM

Makes me kind of glad that the wife insisted we sit back and wait before going to Blu-Ray.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:31 AM

They key at this point is the insane cost of producing discs. The same was true of LASERdisc and to a lesser extent capacitive discharge discs.

As long as it costs more to manufacture a disc than most of the public is accustomed to paying for a DVD set, the interest will be limited.

#7 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:50 AM

Time will tell. I think it's too early to say Blu-Ray is dead or dying. I think we all agree "real" media will probably lose to downloadable product but there is a question of when.

sub-$100 BD players are very likely by spring IMO and I see most BD new releases only $2-3 more than comparable DVDs.

I really hope that "real" media doesn't go away. There is still something to be said for having the disk. When only downloadable media is available you'll have to buy the media for each new device it is used on, instead of being able to take it with you on vacation, to friends, etc.. I believe that's what this is going to come to. :nono2:

#8 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:36 AM

I'm slowly starting to buy more BD movies - up to one a month now - but only for movies on sale and under $25. Most of them I've purchased have been $19.9 or were $25 and I used Reward Zone coupons to lower the price.

This would suck if it's true, but what's really going to happen is that I will stop buying BD movies again simply to see what happens, and if others follow-suit, this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy: By waiting to see if BD survives, I contribute to its demise.

#9 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:39 PM

For movies, I prefer to own the actual disc rather than watch a download. First of all, I actually enjoy having a collection of movies on the shelf (well, shelves) and second, having the disc means I can trade with friends. With downloads and PPV’s, you can’t trade them and in fact it may not always be convenient to go back and watch an older movie. On top of that, I enjoy the “bonus” content of movies, like the director commentary, deleted scenes, bloopers, backstage documentaries, etc.

I not upgraded to Blu-Ray mainly because of the price, but also because my friends and family don’t have the players, so we couldn’t trade movies if I start buying new discs. Of course now that the price is dropping, that will likely change. Blu-Ray is already on my Christmas list, and I am guessing we’ll give at lease one player as a gift.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:45 PM

I agree with much of what has already been said. Initial entry was the first roadblock with high-priced players... but the main problem remains to be movies that are priced too high.

Even though many stores sell with "discounts", the MSRP for many Blu ray titles continues to be $39.95 and upwards which is just insane to most consumers... so even when a place like Amazon has a 30% discount, it just takes the price to where most of us think MSRP should be and we still wait for deals.

Also, hollywood continues to play the waiting game for their best movies. They are afraid to release catalog blockbusters because of potential low sales BUT that lack of high-calibre releases keeps people from coming off the adoption fence. It's a chicken or the egg scenario where hollywood doesn't want to see $5 bargain-bin Blu rays because of a flooded market when people start having players in high-quantity... but in the meantime they are missing sales from people who are waiting for super releases to make them jump.

The state of the economy isn't helping things out either... so that's a bit of unfortunate timing... but even with that, some decisions would have helped:

1. No war in the first place would have helped from the beginning (no HD DVD vs Blu ray to split the early adopters and splinter the market)
2. Entry level players from the beginning instead of all models starting at premium pricing.
3. Instead of multiple releases forcing consumers to choose DVD vs Blu (or HD DVD) and multiple Target/Best Buy/FEY editions... release one edition that includes Blu (or HD DVD back in the day) + DVD that has all the extras and everything in one package. Consumers who want the movie get everything... and once a few Blu movies are already in the home, the player purchase will follow.
4. Pick a few movies and don't release in anything but Blu. Especially useful for catalog, like the recent Godfather rework.. just release in Blu and not also DVD.. pick a few new releases and do the same thing. IF it backfires they could always release on DVD later.. but try and see what consumers would do if only Blu comes out.
5. Stagger release dates... Release Blu first, then DVD a few weeks later. The "I can't wait" crowd might go for Blu rather than wait.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:26 PM

I agree with most of your points. However, high initial pricing didn't hurt DVD or VHS from eventually dominating the market.

I do think you'll find that there are some movies that have come out with a digital copy edition which includes a DVD-quality digital version, usually without the special features. Sure, HD-DVD was great because you could have a combo disc, but DVD mastering is cheap enough it's not a problem.

I do think there will be Blu-only releases in time, just as it took a while for DVD-only releases.

In the meantime, I don't know if there when true bargain BDs will come out, because unlike VHS vs. DVD you don't have to rebuy your whole collection. Only when BD mastering gets as cheap as DVD mastering will you see that, and then they'll probably be crap anyway :)

#12 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:41 PM

Blu-Ray is FAR from dead.

The real problem is that many people had false expectations for it; they assumed that it would grow as fast as DVD did (the fastest-adopted CE device in history). That just isn't realistic.

DVDs are NOT HD, but for a lot of folks who either don't have HDTVs or have HDTVs but no HD programming, DVDs look "great" compared to normal SDTV. For many of these people DVD is "good enough", just as many people used to say that VHS is "good enough" when DVD players were first released and DVDs were $30-35 for new releases.

Most people I know already own their favorite movies on DVD, and most families own 100-200 DVDs. They are going to be relutant to spend any more money on most of those movies, and honestly, many of them won't be any better in HD. Is Zoolander going to be any funnier in HD? Enough to justify the expense? No.

What WILL happen is that people will buy Blu-Rays for action, Sci-Fi, and horror/thriller movies, where HD makes the biggest visual and aural impact. They will re-buy Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and other classics action movies on Blu-Ray. They won't buy Steel Magnolias or Tootsie again, because the cost/benefit ratio isn't there.

But... once they have Blu-Ray, it's likely that they'll start buying NEW movies in Blu-Ray almost exclusively, even ones that aren't major action movies. This will be especially true when you can get these titles on sale, where the price isn't too far from DVD price.

The pace of Blu-Ray adoption is going to be slower, no doubt, but it will happen. And unlike VHS-to-DVD, all Blu-Ray players are backwards compatible with DVD, so again, there's less incentive to re-buy those non-blockbusters if you already have them on DVD.

The people who counted on HD to duplicate what DVD did for the industry were simply deluding themselves. Today, there are far too many alternatives (including DVD) for one product to make such an impact.

#13 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:44 PM

Wow, I wonder what this joker had to say about DVDs in 1998. BD is the future, player prices, burner prices, prerecorded media and blank media will all come down in price just like VHS Tapes and DVDs did. As more and more people get HDTVs and get second and third HDTVs, a Blu Ray Disc player would be the perfect compliment..
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#14 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,111 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:06 PM

ZDNet has been wrong on so many of these kinds of "predictions" before, you can't even take then seriously. :rolleyes:

In fact, adoption continues to grow....players will be sub $250 for the holiday season, and disks keep getting cheaper. The % of Blu Ray to regular disks are increasing, and with many, many new titles coming out during the next 8 weeks....this will be yet another ZDNet prediction folly.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#15 OFFLINE   cb7214

cb7214

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:22 PM

and even the the downloadable media, you have to have something to output the HD movie show etc f to your TV, which means probably 95% or more of the people would have to upgrade to do that whether by computer which probably 90% can't show HD content let alone output it, some type of hardrive media etc
Directv Subscriber since 1999

XM Subscriber since June 2005

#16 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:26 PM

Being a "lite" Movie Viewer (TV is more my thing), it will be a while before I get a BD player. But certainly I can see myself getting BD next. Heck, if the prices for the hardware drop low enough it would be a no-brainer to go ahead and jump in .. It's not like DVDs are going to live forever .. They too will be replaced just like Laser Discs.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#17 OFFLINE   cb7214

cb7214

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:30 PM

I jumped into the forray of BD back when I bought my PS3, it was a selling point in convincing my wife :D, 2 for the price of 1
Directv Subscriber since 1999

XM Subscriber since June 2005

#18 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:32 PM

A lot of people bought original playstations for the same reason.

#19 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:38 PM

While not quite the quality of Blue-ray, this recently announced $159 Toshiba XDE (for extended definition) promises to be another shot at Sony's bow by extending the life of conventional DVDs a bit more. Be funny if the reported $500 million Sony paid Toshiba to drop HD DVD was used to develop this product. Besides some new image enhancement technology, it outputs up to 1080p at 24fps. /steve
/steve

#20 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:39 PM

Blu-ray will survive. But because of Sony - the leader in music DRM screwups because it makes money on content - it'll take several years before these morons can get through a whole repeat of the music DRM experience in the video arena.

And I have a perfectly good "older" pre-HDMI, pre-1080p Panasonic 42" plasma that gives me a great picture from component input. It's going to be awhile before I change my DVD player.

Maybe when DRM-free MPEG4 videos are generally available to legally buy and download from Amazon just like MP3 tracks are today. I'll need to replace the plasma by then.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...