Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

lost use of my outside antenna

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 962 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

So today Directv hooks me up with new HD boxes.. and that's fine except that they say that they cannot use my Diplexer( spel) because of the new boxes. so now I have no outside antenna at all. zero.

what should I do ?

Help..

and should I get something for my loss from Directv?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:02 AM

If you're using the HD DVR, you can get channels from your antenna if you use the AM21 antenna module. If you're using non-DVR receivers, run the antenna line directly into your TV.

Are you saying that you previously had the antenna signal diplexed into the satellite cable? That does not work any more, I believe. You'll need a separate wire run from your antenna.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Tiger62

Tiger62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:02 AM

More information needed. What model boxes did you get?

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:41 PM

Diplexing is not supported, and will not work with standard HD equipment. Even the "hacks" like moving the BBCs aren't a real solution as the current HD receiver and future HD DVRs won't use BBCs, as they have wideband tuners. The OTA signal uses the same frequencies as the HD satellite signal, which is why they can't be combined on the same cable.

If you need to get OTA to your TVs, it has to be on a separate line.

#5 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:43 PM

The tech should have explained this to you after his site survey. You'll need home runs for the OTA now.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#6 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:05 PM

Or go SWM.....
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#7 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:59 PM

Officially, even with a SWM, diplexing is not supported except on the legacy ports on the SWM8. However, it does seem to work most of the time. If you are using a SWM8, don't us its port to insert the OTA. Instead, insert it with a diplexer downstream from the SWM8.

#8 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:24 PM

and an swm8 is not given to a normal household. if you want swm-8 you need to purchase it.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#9 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:35 PM

and an swm8 is not given to a normal household. if you want swm-8 you need to purchase it.

Buying a SWM LNB is cheaper. They're $50-$60 on eBay. Less work to install too, unless you can't reach your antenna.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

#10 OFFLINE   xrobmn

xrobmn

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:19 PM

Diplexing is not supported, and will not work with standard HD equipment. Even the "hacks" like moving the BBCs aren't a real solution as the current HD receiver and future HD DVRs won't use BBCs, as they have wideband tuners. The OTA signal uses the same frequencies as the HD satellite signal, which is why they can't be combined on the same cable.

Not to sure about that (don't yell if I'm wrong)..

I read a thread about diplexing.. I have 5 receivers in my house.. 1 SD box.. 2 HD boxes.. and 2 HR 20-xxx boxes..

By reading an article here, I have a small OTA HD antenna that I hooked up (for testing) to the back my one of the HR20's.. Got all my locals.. Problem? Wife didn't want the antenna there and I also had my other HR20 on the other side of the house..

Solution? I put the OTA HD antenna in a hidden spot in our upstairs.. I wired the heck out of the house when we built it, so hooked up the antenna to a coax line which was already ran to my utility room.. Then, had a splitter for the antenna (coax) Easy to hook up one HR20.. just ran a line from the splitter to the HR.. Now, for the one on a different floor and the other side of the house, I ran a small cable off the antenna splitter.. hooked that up to the antenna end of the diplexer.. ran a line off the Zinwell to a BBC and hooked it up to the peice of coax that feeds the HR20 in our master bedroom to it.. Ran up to that room.. Used a small peice of cable from the wall to the diplexer.. then antenna to the antenna input and the sat line to input 2.. all signal stengths are in the 90-10 range still.. no interference.. seems to work...

So.. it can be done.. as long as he is trying to pull off OTA and has coax running from the antenna.. :)

But I do agree.. if SWM or newer BBC-less receviers are in play, then we're out of luck..

Think that made sense and was what he was asking.. (if not. I'll blame it on the cold meds)

#11 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 962 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:55 PM

well I have the separate line.. and I need to fish a coax into my last remaining SD box..

its going to be a PITA..

shouldn't I get something for my trouble? Shouldn't have Directv told me at least some of this when they signed me up for my new boxes.

at least something?

#12 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:37 PM

I was going to hold my tongue on this, but since you posted the question again, I decided not to.

Granted, I can't have any way of knowing what you have and have not read on this site, but I have seen you around for a while and took a quick look at your posts and you seem to spend a bit of time in the General Discussion forum. I very rarely venture out of the GenD forum and I can't see any way that you've spent even a moderate amount of time here and couldn't pick up on the fact that the current crop of HD receivers and DVRs do NOT have an OTA solution any longer.

Again, the idea of diplexing is somewhat of a variant that isn't widely discussed, though the idea of not easily being able to diplex OTA with the new MPEG4 technology has been discussed for some time now.

Where I'm headed with this is that I would be VERY surprised if you didn't already have an idea that diplexing your OTA with MPEG4 signals to receivers/DVRs that no longer have built in OTA tuners is just really not a possibility.

If you have equipment that will work with the AM21 (which at this point would be an HR21 or beyond and not any of the H2x's), the farthest I could reach regarding DirecTV owing you anything would be an AM21.

Aside from that I'm sorry, but it's my opinion that DirecTV doesn't owe you a thing based on what their current equipment can or cannot do and whether one of their CSRs (which again, is pretty well documented here that they tend to be more in the dark on a lot of things than the membership here at DBSTalk) explained all that when upgrading your equipment.

Hey - you asked! ;)

#13 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:09 PM

well I have the separate line.. and I need to fish a coax into my last remaining SD box..

its going to be a PITA..

shouldn't I get something for my trouble? Shouldn't have Directv told me at least some of this when they signed me up for my new boxes.

at least something?

Diplexing has NEVER been "officially" supported by DirecTV. Thus, it was always at risk of being made incompatible. DirecTV's focus is on getting you DirecTV signals, not OTA signals. You're on your own with those.

#14 OFFLINE   Tiger62

Tiger62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

Diplexing may not be supported by Directv but it dang sure works. I have two separate installations, one with an HR21/AM21 combo and one with an H20. Both installations have the OTA diplexed and both work just fine.

#15 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:20 AM

Diplexing may not be supported by Directv but it dang sure works. I have two separate installations, one with an HR21/AM21 combo and one with an H20. Both installations have the OTA diplexed and both work just fine.

Yeah, but both the HR21 and the H20 use BBCs. The receivers IIP is refering to is the H23 and the future HDDVR (HR23, I guess) that don't have external BBCs.

#16 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:36 AM

And 6 months from now, a transformer blows up in your neighborhood and fries your receivers, or a car crashes into a pole, or a lightning strike; whatever. DirecTV happily sends you replacements: an H23 and an HR23, which are the current receivers at the time. Both use wideband tuners and no BBCs, meaning there is satellite data on the same frequencies your OTA signals use now. At that point, diplexing is no longer possible.

Just something to keep in mind.

#17 OFFLINE   xrobmn

xrobmn

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:04 PM

And 6 months from now, a transformer blows up in your neighborhood and fries your receivers, or a car crashes into a pole, or a lightning strike; whatever. DirecTV happily sends you replacements: an H23 and an HR23, which are the current receivers at the time. Both use wideband tuners and no BBCs, meaning there is satellite data on the same frequencies your OTA signals use now. At that point, diplexing is no longer possible.

Thanks for the info.. I hope by the time my boxes blow up via an act of god, DirecTv will have my locals in HD :)

#18 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:09 PM

slightly OT, but how would that affect those diplexing through an swm8 setup? would the hr23 still work since bbc's are not in the mix now with swm?
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#19 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:30 PM

slightly OT, but how would that affect those diplexing through an swm8 setup? would the hr23 still work since bbc's are not in the mix now with swm?

SWM works completely differently from legacy equipment with regards to sending sat signals down the coax, so diplexing should remain an option unless SWM equipment is updated at some point to use OTA frequencies. And that could well happen; it could allow 16 channels per SWM instead of 8. It would require new receivers and new SWM modules, of course, but that wouldn't be anything new in the sat world.

#20 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:57 PM

lol, wait and see then :)
thanks IIP.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...