Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Baseball Over The Air

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Satelittefreak

Satelittefreak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 01:20 AM

How can you get KCAL,WKBD KCOP KUIC KICU KTVU? Why cant I get waivers for WB and UPN to watch baseball?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 06:33 AM

What do you have E*(Dish) or Direct?

#3 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 07:39 AM

You can only get waivers from what the FCC defines as a "network". A network has 15 hours of original primetime programming. UPN and WB fall short of that, so there is no waiver process, which means there is no way to get waivers for WB or UPN.

#4 OFFLINE   jrbdmb

jrbdmb

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 01:11 PM

In addition, all of the above stations are on "spot beams" on Dish (and I guess on DirecTV as well). This means even if you had a waiver, you wouldn't be able to watch the stations unless you are in their general area - i.e. no Dodgers unless you are in southern Cal., no Tigers unless you live in Michigan / Indiana / Ohio.

#5 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 03:30 PM

Before spot beam some of these TV Stations that carry games were on satellite. Now unless you live in that market where those stations broadcast area's are you won't be able to see these games. I personally wish I could get WCIU out of Chicago because some Chicago Cubs games are on this channel that you cannot see on Fox Sports Net Chicago or WGN Superstation. I am at the mercy of the Cubs opponent that night to see if the game will be on their Regional Sports Network Station. If both games are over the air locally and not on any satellite station like last night when the Giants played the White Sox in Chicago both those teams telecasts were on Local over the air stations only in Chicago and San Francisco people who are subscribed to MLB Extra Innings are screwed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...