Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone ever get DIRECTV service through Costco?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bschellva

bschellva

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

I just switched to DIRECTV through Costco's web site. I was wondering if anyone else out there had done this, how long did it take you to get you Costco Cash rebate cards? Currently, they are offering a $50 card just for signing up and another $200 if you buy a TV. I know there is a form to fill out for the $200 rebate, but don't see anything about how to get the $50 card. There's been no mention of it or Costco in any of my DIRECTV correspondences, so I was just hoping to hear other's experiences. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bschellva

bschellva

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:07 PM

Wow! No one purchased through Costco? That's kind of surprising.

#3 OFFLINE   Clemsole

Clemsole

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:32 PM

As a new customer you can get a better deal by calling Directv.

#4 OFFLINE   tfmillet

tfmillet

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:12 PM

I bought through Costco -- it was a better deal than calling Directv directly -- I got lower prices on my two HD-DVR's, and also the $50.00 Costco card offer.

I signed up about 5 weeks ago -- I'm still waiting on my Costco card. The rep told me it would be 6 to 8 weeks. Hopefully that's true.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,691 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:45 PM

I have never signed up there.. but have picked up additional equipment there...

#6 OFFLINE   dreamyip

dreamyip

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:50 PM

Costco actually offer additional 2 years of warrenty services on the receivers. It is a better deal.
HR22-100 -> Sony KDL-52W4100 via HDMI
H21-200-> Gateway FHD2400 LCD via HDMI
H21-100 -> Sony 50" LCD via HDMI
HR24-500 - Panasonic TC-P65S2
5 LNB Slimline with Zinwell 6x8 Mulitswitch
Logitech Harmony ONE remote control

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:08 PM

Costco actually offer additional 2 years of warrenty services on the receivers. It is a better deal.

What warranty all receivers are leased now so you have a life time warranty on receivers.

However a lot of people do sign up at different retailers because they usually have some form of perk for signing up through them. You can ask the Costco rep about why you should sign up with them rather then call D*. The national offers are the same. The rebates are the same the only difference is a retailer usually has an additional incentive. You might also call BB and CC to see what their deals are as well.

#8 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

Self install pack from a department store about 12yrs ago now, so no, not from Costco for me :P

Their warranty does not do anything with Directv equipment. Everything is between you and Directv since it is all leased.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#9 OFFLINE   merchione

merchione

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

I signed up at costco
CompTIA A+ and N+ Certified

XBox Live ID:
Merchi one

#10 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,595 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

do u have to get like 1 huge dish ? ;)

#11 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:51 PM

[quote name='Shades228']What warranty all receivers are leased now so you have a life time warranty on receivers.

I don't think so. There is ninety days from the installation date offered by the manufacturer. Then you are on your own unless you get the protection plan.

Unless you have new information.

Joe

#12 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:48 AM

The 90 day warranty is for the installation. Meaning if you have a service call within your first 90 days of an installation there's no cost to you. D* receivers are leased unless you call D* and specifically order owned equipment which has a much higher cost. This isn't new it's the lease model they've had since 06.

#13 OFFLINE   DSSJunkie

DSSJunkie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

The 90 day warranty is for the installation. Meaning if you have a service call within your first 90 days of an installation there's no cost to you. D* receivers are leased unless you call D* and specifically order owned equipment which has a much higher cost. This isn't new it's the lease model they've had since 06.

There is a warranty for the equipment for 90 days after activation. After the 90 days if the reciver fails then you will have to cover the cost of replacement if you dont have the protection plan. it dosen't matter if the reciver is owned or leased.
Recivers
1 D11-100's
3 H21-200
1 HR21-700
1 HR22-100
DISH
AU9 Slimline & Phase III

WB6x8

#14 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

There is a warranty for the equipment for 90 days after activation. After the 90 days if the reciver fails then you will have to cover the cost of replacement if you dont have the protection plan. it dosen't matter if the reciver is owned or leased.

You have to pay delivery and handling without the protection plan. Before the lease model customers used to have to pay a replacement cost for the receiver itself plus D&H.

#15 OFFLINE   DSSJunkie

DSSJunkie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:10 PM

You have to pay delivery and handling without the protection plan. Before the lease model customers used to have to pay a replacement cost for the receiver itself plus D&H.

Well that is good to know, I have read recently that it just depends on the CSR that you get that determines the price of replacment after the 90 days.
Recivers
1 D11-100's
3 H21-200
1 HR21-700
1 HR22-100
DISH
AU9 Slimline & Phase III

WB6x8

#16 OFFLINE   Very Nice Guy

Very Nice Guy

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:10 PM

I recently purchased at Costco--about two months ago now. It worked out to be a fairly good deal all things considered.

Initial costs were:
$330 for 2 HD-DVRs (first HD-DVR was free because of promotion) and 2 HD receivers.

The special D* was running was 'buy NFL Sunday ticket for 4 equal payments of $75 and receive their top tier package including Showtime, Cinemax, HBO and Starz free for four months (normally $105). Costco purchase included an addition $50 Costco gift card, and free HD access for three months.

In addition to that, Costco had an additional promotion if you purchased an HDTV, to receive an additional $100 Costco gift card--we took advantage of that also.

The 'free professional installation' wasn't so free--local installers and not really D* employees. They charge for interior wall 'drops' unless every location you want the cable outlet is on an exterior wall and you don't mind them 'wrapping' your house (their term for running coax cable on the exterior of the house). If you need cable run to the front of the house, they can wrap, or charge $1 per foot to 'trench' (bury) the cable...what's your poison? ;-)

$120 for two drops in the interior of our house.

$70 for a special 'non-penetrating mounting pole' for the roof. Because of placement limitations at our property, they would have installed the 'one big dish' on either a cement retained poll at ground level (an eye-sore) or by penetrating our roof with screws (I don't like the idea of damaging my roofing materials).

Oh, and the first guy wasn't prepared with materials (due to the 'pole' situation), so my install ended up being delayed two days. Well, actually three, because the second guy 'mistakenly' read his installation orders and put me down on Saturday instead of Friday. So I ended up with a third guy and having to wait at home a third time. All of this due to the local installers and not D* themselves.
-----------------
Now, one thing to be aware of is that even though the brochures all talk about 'receive every channel in your channel lineup in crystal clear HD'...it AIN'T SO. Now, the brochure does state this (I checked later), but the glossy is definitely designed to be misleading. The sports packages are additional and not in your channel lineup...and after paying $300 for NFL Sunday ticket, they upcharge ANOTHER $100 for 'Superfan'...which gives you the HD access that you'd expect when *everything else* you have is in HD. Now the neat thing about the feature is watching eight games at the same time in one screen. With a hi-res HD tv, you really can.

Oh, and 'everything else in HD' is not true either. All of the channels they currently provide SD, are provided in HD if they are available. However, they've added another package of some additional channels that are available ONLY in HD--for another $10 a month if you want the 5 (or is it 6 now?) channels...it includes UniversalHD which I would have liked, since we had that with Cox...but I'm not paying another $10 for those few channels.
----------------
So, the end result...our bill for D* has been about $95 per month this first three bills. This includes the $75 plus the three additional receiver fees (only the first is included in the package--after that, it's another $5 per...). Plus I opted to leave no question about the warranty and said put the protection plan into effect ($6). Then add the $25 per month for 4 months for superfan. I have an extra $100 credit (being paid as $10 monthly credits for 10 months) due to the mix-up with the installation date (graciously provided by D* themselves). And another HD access credit for six months because I really complained loudly about the Superfan / HD channel lineup thing.

All said and done, I expect to be paying right around $145 for everything after the promotional periods run out. Which is about $10 to $15 less than what I was paying Cox. And I now have two HD-DVRs (only had one with Cox). Had access to all of the football games on Sunday (can't even get that with Cox).

So far D* has been very good. The $50 Costco gift card arrived within a week of the installation--I was amazed. However, I'm still waiting to receive my $100 Costco gift card after filling out and sending in the necessary rebate form. The rebate site says it was approved Nov. 22nd...so, what's the hold-up? No idea.

Anyhow, hope the long-winded description provides useful info for someone.

#17 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:04 AM

What the installers include in the install varies by area.

In this area pole installs are included at no extra charge, and that includes the trenching.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

spam firewall