Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDTV Not Displaying Correct Resolution

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AED55

AED55

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:48 PM

Just purchased a Panasonic 720P Plasma TV and am very happy with the HD piture I am receiving from DN. Just one thing has me puzzled. When I am receiving an HD signal from the 722 box the info display on the TV indicates it is receiving a 480i signal. It does the same thing if a tune to an OTA HD station.

I would say the TV is just not indicating the correct resolution, but when I play a DVD on a player with upconverting capability, the TV indcates it is receiving 1080i input. Both the 722 and DVD players are connected to the TV via HDMI cables.

This is no big deal, I was just wondering if this a quirk with the TV or the 722.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:54 PM

Just purchased a Panasonic 720P Plasma TV and am very happy with the HD piture I am receiving from DN. Just one thing has me puzzled. When I am receiving an HD signal from the 722 box the info display on the TV indicates it is receiving a 480i signal. It does the same thing if a tune to an OTA HD station.

I would say the TV is just not indicating the correct resolution, but when I play a DVD on a player with upconverting capability, the TV indcates it is receiving 1080i input. Both the 722 and DVD players are connected to the TV via HDMI cables.

This is no big deal, I was just wondering if this a quirk with the TV or the 722.

Did you access the HDTV Setup menu and set your TV Type and Aspect Ratio according to the manual?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#3 OFFLINE   AED55

AED55

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:06 AM

Bingo! I had set the aspect ratio to 16x9, but neglected to set TV Type to 720p, guess I was in too much of a hurry to start experiencing HDTV. The resolution is diplaying correctly now. Just curious, does this setting effect anything else, seems like nothing else changed except the TV is displaying the correct resolution now

Thanks for the info.

#4 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:14 AM

Considering 480i is standard definition and 720p is high definition, it's the difference between watching in high definition and... not. On high definition channels, when they're broadcasting true high definition content, you should see a better picture. On standard definition channels, the picture will likely be pretty similar, although it depends to some extent on whether the scaler in the 622 is better than or worse than the one in the TV.

spam firewall