Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Only one network lost?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:25 AM

I don't watch OTA much, since I have locals in HD on my Dish account, but I tried to set a timer for tonight to record the SNL Presidential Bash OTA, while recording MNF and Boston Legal from my sat tuners. Or I tried to, but when I tuned to the channel to check reception quality to aim my antenna, I got the "signal lost" screen. Living between DC and Balt. I then turned to channel 11-1 in Balt. and got the same thing. When I checked other networks, everything was fine (in both cities). I checked my other 622, and it had no problem either.

So what would cause my 622 to lose the network feed for NBC stations only? Both WRC-DT (broadcasting on UHF 48) in Washington, and WBAL-DT (broadcasting on UHF 59) in Baltimore are "signal lost", but no other stations seem to be affected, and those station also come in on my other 622.

-Chris
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:06 PM

This is only a guess and I’m probably wrong, but many stations are upgrading their equipment in preparation for the transition or having other tower work done. When techs are up on the tower the station usually reduces power to keep from frying the techs…

This could be the loss of signal if you are in a fringe area…

#3 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:24 PM

It would be quite a coincidence that two stations, in two different cities, that are both affiliates for the same network, would both elect to do maintenance at the same time, don't you think? And that also doesn't explain why it only happens on one box. They come in fine on my other 622.

#4 OFFLINE   bigshew

bigshew

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:51 PM

You didn't say anything about your antenna setup. Are both 622s hooked up to the same antenna? If you have 2 antennas in different locations that could explain why your 622s are behaving differently. I use an indoor antenna for OTA and moving it just a few inches can change signal strength.

#5 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

The antennas are different, but the box with lost signal has the better antenna - a Wingard yagi w/rotor vs. a clip-on Terk. And that still doesn't explain why all the other channels work. The major networks in DC all have their towers in essentially the same place - TV Hill on Wisc. Ave. If it is strictly a reception issue I would expect them to all work or all fail.

Baltimore stations are almost 180 degrees around from DC at approximately the same distance, and I have the same issue there - all stations except one.

#6 OFFLINE   bigshew

bigshew

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:47 PM

Just a hunch, but have you tried rescanning the locals? Maybe the "lost signals" have been moved to new frequencies.

#7 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:44 AM

Just a hunch, but have you tried rescanning the locals? Maybe the "lost signals" have been moved to new frequencies.

I did that last night. In fact, I deleted all locals, did a hard reboot, and rescanned. I got FOX, CBS, ABC, and some Balt. stations (even though my antenna was pointed at DC at the time). But nothing for NBC. Then the 'Skins/Steelers game came on and I didn't want to mess with it any more that evening.

#8 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:16 AM

I don't know if it is related or not, but I have also been getting a number of sat signal lost screens lately. There doesn't seem to be any programming missing, but it a pain to have it keep popping up, even when I'm watching a recorded show.

#9 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:57 AM

OTA Digital is very unreliable. You are better off recording them off your local HD Dish Network channels.
Current Dish Network Subscriber: March 7, 2005 - Now
Current XM Radio Subscriber: November 2002 - Now
Current RoadRunner Earthlink Cable Subscriber: November 2001 - Now
I finally upgrading to HDTV.
Cats are the best pets.

#10 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:58 AM

OTA Digital is very unreliable. You are better off recording them off your local HD Dish Network channels.

When there are only two shows to record, I do. But if you had read my original post, you would know that I discovered this situation when I wanted to record three shows at once. Unless you have some secret procedure for recording three shows at the same time using only the two sat tuners, your advice does me no good.

-Chris

#11 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:38 AM

Really? My ota is just as stable as my Dish signal. I have two stations usually pegged at 100 with all the rest in the mid 70's to high 80's. When there is an ota signal loss it is usually from the source and not caused by the weather conditions.

#12 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

The signal has returned. The best I can figure is my antenna installer didn't align it properly, so it actually points about 90 degrees off from what the rotor controller reports. I never had this much trouble before though. Go figure.

-Chris

#13 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:52 AM

Works fine here. Not that far from you. I always go for the OTA first when doing my recordings. Only use Dish LIL HD when I have multiple local programs to record at the same time.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#14 OFFLINE   DishTV

DishTV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:07 PM

I have a 722 with 11 OTA digital channels. Everything had been working fine with excellent reception, from 100 to 67 signal strength, from my attic antenna. Then in the past 10 days I have been getting broken video signals (pixelization?) on an inconsistent basis. The signal strength on my best channel varies from 100 to the 80's then back to 100 then sometimes complete loss to zero. This of course is driving me crazy to either watch or to record.

The OTA signal direct to my TV tuner (Sony 46W3000) is consitently good on all channels. From reading many of the threads here, I would guess that I have a problem with the 722's OTA tuner. Do any of you agree with my conclusion, and if so do you suggest that I try to get Di*sh to send me a replacement 722?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

spam firewall