Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I use more than one EHD per receiver?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mark069

mark069

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:49 PM

I'm thinking of using a different USB hard disk with my 622 and I would like to know if it will format and use the new EHD without any problems and without the need for a "reauthorization" from Dish.

Does it matter if this other EHD was formatted and used for data storage on a PC before?
Samsung HLR6768 67" DLP HDTV 1080p
Denon AVR 2807
Infinity TSS-750 5.1
ViP 622 DVR

:coolglass

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:53 PM

Use as many as you want as long as only one at a time is connected. The drive will be formatted when you connect it no matter what it had on it before.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:31 PM

Use as many as you want as long as only one at a time is connected. The drive will be formatted when you connect it no matter what it had on it before.

What if the EHD had been on another receiver that wasn't on the account? Don't we get the chance to "marry" it to this receiver? I don't remember this ever coming up before, but I wonder if that three swap limit might work in this case.
Apparently, I have too much time on my hands.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#4 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:39 PM

If it was on a different account you and you have moved it several times you are out of luck. DISH does allow a drive connected to a receiver on another account to be moved three times. After the third time you will need to format it again for THAT receiver to use it.

Don't worry about trying to move it. The receiver gives you double warnings before it reformats it (if it needs to because it was moved more than three times).
Bill R

#5 OFFLINE   mark069

mark069

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:18 PM

Actually, my plan is to copy over the contents from the EHD back onto the 622 HD and then format the EHD on a PC and use the EHD for moving files from an old PC to a new PC I just bought. Then I intend to reconnect and reformat it on the 622.

Sounds like this should work without a hitch?
Samsung HLR6768 67" DLP HDTV 1080p
Denon AVR 2807
Infinity TSS-750 5.1
ViP 622 DVR

:coolglass

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,298 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:22 AM

Actually, my plan is to copy over the contents from the EHD back onto the 622 HD and then format the EHD on a PC and use the EHD for moving files from an old PC to a new PC I just bought. Then I intend to reconnect and reformat it on the 622.

Sounds like this should work without a hitch?

If time and unreasonable fear of potential glitches isn't a problem, it should work fine. Or you could buy a new EHD and after copying the files to the new PC, keep it for awhile in case something goes wrong with the new PC. Probably could get one really cheap beginning Wednesday if you're near one of the many Bay Area closing Circuit City stores. See the list here (PDF format).

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:14 AM

If time and unreasonable fear of potential glitches isn't a problem, it should work fine. Or you could buy a new EHD and after copying the files to the new PC, keep it for awhile in case something goes wrong with the new PC. Probably could get one really cheap beginning Wednesday if you're near one of the many Bay Area closing Circuit City stores. See the list here (PDF format).

That's probably a good place to pick up a drive pretty reasonable. Circuit City is closing all of our Metro Atlanta stores. The CC that I visit usually has an empty parking lot so I can understand why this is happening. Best Buy, on the other hand, is usually packed. CC usually has better prices. :confused:
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#8 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

I remember CC fondly from back when they were known as Custom Hi-Fi. I won't miss them.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

spam firewall