Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv. First Comcast, now AT&T, can DOD survive badwidth caps?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:03 PM

Well this is getting serious, the two largest ISP's in the country are now testing and rolling out caps. http://www.dslreport...270887675966275

I know this isnt specifically a DOD issue but it does directly affect it.

To keep things in perspective, based on the last 4 days of data collection I will pull 51 gig this month. This is what I consider normal use and not an exception use like when I download 5 or 6 linux distros, a bunch of HD DOD and my wife who work via VPN from home.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:51 PM

Really not good at all. I am no means a pirate. But, my network consist of the following:

PC
Xbox 360
Nintendo Wii
DTV

Possibly adding another pc. As you can see. That is a whole lot of dl each month. The gaming consoles alone are played a whole lot on line. I have Charter cable and so far so good with no caps. But, people are wanting to go faster and faster with internet speeds. Now this is the cost. Caps. I could see it coming a 100 miles away as speeds increase. For a whole lot of people out there like me. It is going to suck. Because this much dl. The ISP would probably assume I am dl illegal content. When that is just not the case. If these caps happen with all major broadband isp's. They need to provide software for you can watch your usage.

#3 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:51 AM

Here are the new caps exposed by their FAQ.. Remember this is in testing now so may be a godo time to kick AT&T in the shin.

AT&T Basic (DSL only) Up-to 768 Kbps 20 GB per month
AT&T Express Up-to 1.5 Mbps 40 GB per month
AT&T Pro Up-to 3.0 Mbps 60 GB per month
AT&T Elite Up-to 6.0 Mbps 80 GB per month
AT&T Max (U-verse only) Up-to 10.0 Mbps 150 GB per month

Source: http://www.dslreport...Cap-Plans-98907

So considering I run proably 60 Gig s a month or so as it is, that will leave me with 20 Gig so I will be able to get maybe 4 HD movies.

Grand!

The only way these caps will get stopped in their tracks is if big business gets behind us.

#4 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:33 AM

Here are the new caps exposed by their FAQ.. Remember this is in testing now so may be a godo time to kick AT&T in the shin.

AT&T Basic (DSL only) Up-to 768 Kbps 20 GB per month
AT&T Express Up-to 1.5 Mbps 40 GB per month
AT&T Pro Up-to 3.0 Mbps 60 GB per month
AT&T Elite Up-to 6.0 Mbps 80 GB per month
AT&T Max (U-verse only) Up-to 10.0 Mbps 150 GB per month

Source: http://www.dslreport...Cap-Plans-98907

So considering I run proably 60 Gig s a month or so as it is, that will leave me with 20 Gig so I will be able to get maybe 4 HD movies.

Grand!

The only way these caps will get stopped in their tracks is if big business gets behind us.

You have just supplied the basis for the lawsuit...
"AT&T Max (U-verse only) Up-to 10.0 Mbps 150 GB per month"
If AT&T restricts (caps) based on having their U-verse, I smell a big fat lawsuit coming...
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#5 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:36 AM

If AT&T restricts (caps) based on having their U-verse, I smell a big fat lawsuit coming...

Perhaps, of course they could just do the money shuffle and say Uvers pays us $2/month per customer to get the extra bandwidth. Would D* pay them? No. Would we, maybe....

#6 OFFLINE   satjoe

satjoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:37 AM

Well this is getting serious, the two largest ISP's in the country are now testing and rolling out caps. http://www.dslreport...270887675966275

I know this isnt specifically a DOD issue but it does directly affect it.

To keep things in perspective, based on the last 4 days of data collection I will pull 51 gig this month. This is what I consider normal use and not an exception use like when I download 5 or 6 linux distros, a bunch of HD DOD and my wife who work via VPN from home.

Maybe some good news. Comcast is now field testing Docsis 3.0 which increase their speed from 8-12 megs up to a possible 128megs, faster then FIOS. It is just a firm ware update to the existing modems. With increased speed it will reduce bandwith usage time. When they change to all Digital it will free up tons of space. Hopefully they will just treat the bandwith cap as a stop gap untill everything falls in place.

Good Luck

#7 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:43 AM

Maybe some good news. Comcast is now field testing Docsis 3.0 which increase their speed from 8-12 megs up to a possible 128megs, faster then FIOS. It is just a firm ware update to the existing modems. With increased speed it will reduce bandwith usage time. When they change to all Digital it will free up tons of space. Hopefully they will just treat the bandwith cap as a stop gap untill everything falls in place.

Good Luck

Not Comcast Not in our lifetime unless someone sues them over it and wins.

#8 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:13 PM

I was reading about this the other day. I'm surprised that their caps are much lower than Comcast's. I wonder why?

I'd like to capture the amount of bandwidth I am using between the pc's and HD DVR's hooked up to my lan. Is there a way I can do this? I have Comcast and a 54g Linksys wireless router if that helps.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#9 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:11 PM

I guys are lucky. I have Frontier DSL (only broadband ISP in my rural area), and they cap at 5 GB per month.

Yeah. 5 GB.

I'd kill to have 20-60 GB...
Nathan
setup:
- 50" Plasma 1080p HDTV (Samsung PN50A760), 46" LCD 1080p HDTV (Samsung LN-T4665F), 32" LCD 720p HDTV (Insignia). 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys.

#10 OFFLINE   bsprague

bsprague

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:55 PM

I disconnected all the wires with Comcast and Quest. Instead I got cell phones and a "Unlimited Use Broadband Aircard" from Verizon. For TV, of course it is DirecTV.

I use the aircard in a specialized router so two of us can use it for daily tasks. We don't do "On Demand" TV. Most months we will get up to about 3G of use and have never hit the 5G limit.

About a year ago Verizon was sued in New York for having impeding or disconnecting some customers' aircards for going over 5G. Now Verizon (and Sprint, maybe others) have a 5G limit in their contract and include a totalizer in their connection software.

My point is that 5G is really enough until you start factoring in major entertainment features. I don't know what I will do when Blu-Ray from Netflix by mail no longer keeps me happy.

Bill, a DirecTV customer since 1999
--Condo: Slimline AU9, HR21-100 > Panasonic 42” Plasma with Bose CineMate, HR24-200> Sony KDL-55HX800 LED & 3D with Sony Soundbar HT-CT150, Wii
--Motorhome: 2004 40' Beaver, ISC 350 Cummins, KVH R5 - in motion, R15-500 > 30" Sharp Aquos LCD

#11 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:41 PM

You have got to be kidding me! 5gb is nothing. How much do you pay each month for it and at what speeds? Just curious......

I guys are lucky. I have Frontier DSL (only broadband ISP in my rural area), and they cap at 5 GB per month.

Yeah. 5 GB.

I'd kill to have 20-60 GB...

#12 OFFLINE   bsprague

bsprague

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:43 PM

You have got to be kidding me! 5gb is nothing. How much do you pay each month for it and at what speeds? Just curious......

Read my signature. I am a gypsy. I travel a lot in our motorhome. I want to go where I want, when I want. Wireless works. The Verrizon aircard cost $60 a month. I can't tell you the speeds in tech terms, but it works well for everything I want, except for on demand video.

Bill, a DirecTV customer since 1999
--Condo: Slimline AU9, HR21-100 > Panasonic 42” Plasma with Bose CineMate, HR24-200> Sony KDL-55HX800 LED & 3D with Sony Soundbar HT-CT150, Wii
--Motorhome: 2004 40' Beaver, ISC 350 Cummins, KVH R5 - in motion, R15-500 > 30" Sharp Aquos LCD

#13 OFFLINE   julesism

julesism

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:59 PM

you forgot to include Time Warner Cable to the list... 5-40GB trial caps in Beaumont TX article from 01/08 - http://www.dslreport.../shownews/91047.

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:04 PM

We will only have to deal with telco companies for the next 5 to 10 years... Then, they will get rid of their caps or die... The FCC apporved plans for companies to build massive wifi networks (and by companies I mean Google and Microsoft, which have the money and desire to do so...) using white spaces in tv airwaves... It just a matter of time before cable has to get rid of caps... unfortunately, its not next week... That also might completely changed the mobile phone carriers rates as well.....

#15 OFFLINE   T_N_T

T_N_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:37 PM

U-Verse TV is IPTV, so what happens if someone watching U-Verse TV sends them over the FAP limit? This reeks of Hughesnet & WildBlue.

#16 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:43 PM

I'd like to capture the amount of bandwidth I am using between the pc's and HD DVR's hooked up to my lan. Is there a way I can do this? I have Comcast and a 54g Linksys wireless router if that helps.

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe some recommended software?
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#17 OFFLINE   MountainMan10

MountainMan10

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:48 AM

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe some recommended software?

The only way to capture the usage is with a firmware upgrade for your router. I use http://www.dd-wrt.com. This is not for everyone. Upgrading your router firmware has the potential of turning it into a brick. Support for the 54G is questionable. Yes for WRH54G, no or maybe for other versions. I have the Linksys WRT310N. dd-wrt works greate with it.

I just checked my router. I used 111 gigs last month. So far Qwest does not have caps.

#18 OFFLINE   ABQ_bound

ABQ_bound

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:22 PM

What's the basis for a lawsuit in this? :confused:

#19 OFFLINE   T_N_T

T_N_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:47 PM

What's the basis for a lawsuit in this? :confused:

I don't know about a lawsuit for having to purcahse the "bundle" for the 150GB cap, but since U-Verse TV is IPTV, what happens if U-VerseTV takes you over the limit(depending on how much you watch and if its HD I would imagine it requires a greater amount of data) is there a lawsuit in that? Thats like AT&T calling bad on themselves.

#20 OFFLINE   jvmjr

jvmjr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:42 AM

How many GB you are currently using? I have ATT DSL. Just upgraded to the best level they have. Just curious.
Thanks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...