Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CommDeck- extra bracing needed?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott J

Scott J

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:53 AM

I had a CommDeck installed on the house that I am moving into (new construction) and also ordered the strut clips just in case. My install is later this week. Is extra bracing needed with a CommDeck? I would think that the CommDeck provides a very sturdy mount for the dish.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:03 PM

I had a CommDeck installed on the house that I am moving into (new construction) and also ordered the strut clips just in case. My install is later this week. Is extra bracing needed with a CommDeck? I would think that the CommDeck provides a very sturdy mount for the dish.

More bracing is never a bad thing.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:11 PM

The CommDeck has a pretty large base to distribute the leverage from the mast, plus you'll have support arms (monopoles) to help. Unless you live in a place with lots of high winds (and probably even then), you'll be fine. But, as Robert noted, a little extra never hurts.

#4 OFFLINE   mjtville

mjtville

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:11 PM

Every time I mount on the roof or use a commdeck, or a retrodeck, I use 2 monopoles. A pair of strut clips = 2 monopoles.

#5 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

I see it as the less holes in a roof the better.

I did one where the roof was being reshingled as we worked. The roofer was on site and had a standard 2" roofing through-deck flange. I drilled out from the attic and pushed the 2" mast up through the hole. bolting the mast to a roof truss inside the building. Then the flange went on and then they shingled around it.

The cable went down the mast to a nearby corner, out again and down the back of the gutter drain to the ground block & cable entrance.

Looked good with no leaks. Just a thought.

Joe

#6 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:03 PM

I installed a Commdeck on my roof a few years ago in anticipation of my Slimline Install. I also purchased the strut clips. The installer used 2 monopoles and the clips. He said that it was his favorite installation to date.

The dish is rock-solid. It did not move at all during the wind storms we had (gusts to 70+ mph).
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998
Slimline w/ SWM LNB---- (mounted on CommDeck) ----> SWM Power Inserter -----> CM4002IFD Diplexer
Winegard OTA Antenna ------------------> CM7777 OTA Amplifier ----------------> CM4002IFD Diplexer
CM4002IFD Diplexer ----> STS-4 splitter ----> HR20-700 - Vizio VO32L, HR20-700 - SDTV, HR21-200 (w/ AM21) - Vizio VX42L, HR21-200 - SDTV; CM4001IFD as splitting diplexer on all legs; All networked

#7 OFFLINE   Meglos

Meglos

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:40 PM

Use struts. Commdeck isn't really all that heavy gauge metal and will flex a bit.

I installed a big AT9 ("sidecar") dish using Commdeck and the strut clips a couple of years ago, and it has been rock solid ever since then; signal levels haven't dropped a bit (i.e., alignment has remained true). And that's after a few pretty good Kansas storms (including a likely funnel that passed right over a few months ago that took down a big tree).

See my post on this topic from earlier this year or my (somewhat entertaining?!) writeup "DirecTV Dish Installation Project" for more details.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Protected By... spam firewall...And...