Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVR FF and RW question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrbdm

mrbdm

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:37 PM

Hi all, let me say that I am currently a Comcast customer that was more or less satisfied until they made a massive change to their entire system in our area. Now, I feel like I am looking at an early 90's menu that lost everything that really made it work well for me. I have already talked to some Comcast brass and I am up a creek. I have been holding out for ATT U-Verse since last November when they said they were coming to town (they still aren't here yet!). Anyway, I started looking hard at Dish Network after reading about the VIP722 and I think I'm just about sold.

I went to Radio Shack so that I could mess around with the system and, while it has some quirks that I don't like, it is about as close to our original menus and system workings as we had before the updates. I will have to get our local stations in HD OTA, which, while not ideal, is something we will just have to live with for a while.

The one thing I must find out (it is almost silly that this whole purchase hinges so heavily on this item too...) is in regards to the fast forwarding and rewinding of the DVR. Before the Comcast change, there was a "smudge" factor when moving through a program that increased depending on the speed of FF or RW. For instance, if I was going at 4x through a commercial and I saw the start of the show I was watching, when I hit the play button, it would back up about 2 or 4 seconds. This was great as you very rarely had to rewind to catch the first of the show after a commercial. Same thing with rewinding. Granted, you generally had to watch a second or two of commercial, but it wasn't bad. Now, when you move through a program, it starts exactly where the picture shows it will start. So, now you must be extra careful to go either 1) slower through the commercial or 2) be prepared to rewind a bit to get it just right. When I was playing with the 622 (they didn't have a 722 out), it did the same thing. It started exactly where it looked like it would stop. This drives me a bit nuts as I think the "smudge" factor is key. I didn't have time to fiddle through the menus to see if there was a way to set this up or not and, after reading the first couple of pages full of posts here, I was not sure exactly how to search for this information. Hopefully, someone here can help me! I am hoping to become a dish convert this week if things work right.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:48 PM

Don't use the FF and REW buttons, use the Skip buttons. Skip forward (30 seconds) 5 or 6 presses quickly until you see the show start then Skip back once (10 seconds) to get to where the show starts. After a few times you get very good at this and it is quick and easy. FF and REW are too much of a pain to use for skipping short time distances.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

welcome to DBSTalk mrbdm. I would agree with Chuck. Most people use the 30 second skip forward combined with the 10 second skip back to achieve what you are looking for.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   mrbdm

mrbdm

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

Hmm... That might work quite well with some practice. I really just miss that little bit of padding I got in the past. We will see, might be switching soon.

#5 OFFLINE   dbrakob

dbrakob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:39 PM

I agree with the skip FWD 5-6 times and back once. After about a week of practice it will take you about 4 seconds to skip thru the commercials. I know how you feel. I had TIVO before and did not like this feature on the Dish DVR but now it is second nature.

#6 OFFLINE   William

William

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:17 PM

Hmm... That might work quite well with some practice. I really just miss that little bit of padding I got in the past. We will see, might be switching soon.

No "might" about it and no practice needed. It is a very intuitive procedure and works naturally. FF&RW is for moving over long distances and are of no use for commercials.

#7 OFFLINE   girdnerg

girdnerg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:53 AM

I believe that the "smudge" factor you are talking about is there, but it doesn't work 100%. When I do use FF, I see it happen "most" of the time.

But, like all the above, I use the skip feature most of the time.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...